Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudner

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2018
Canada
Recently installed the Gigabyte on my Mac Pro 5,1. No issues so far. Boot screen is not what it was; it only flashes for a brief moment and then goes right to the login screen. After I put this GPU, I instantly upgraded to Mojave. Noticed a slight improvement in sharpness of everything visible.

One thing I did notice that may be related to the new GPU is that when playing videos in VLC, fast forwarding and rewinding can be a bit glitchy.

BTW, I am using an 32-inch HD monitor. Looking to upgrade to 4k very soon.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Recently installed the Sapphire on my Mac Pro 5,1. No issues so far. Boot screen is not what it was; it only flashes for a brief moment and then goes right to the login screen. After I put this GPU, I instantly upgraded to Mojave. Noticed a slight improvement in sharpness of everything visible.

One thing I did notice that may be related to the new GPU is that when playing videos in VLC, fast forwarding and rewinding can be a bit glitchy.

BTW, I am using an 32-inch HD monitor. Looking to upgrade to 4k very soon.

You may tried the latest VLC beta or IINA, and see if the bug still there.

Reactions: Spudner

Spudner

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2018
Canada
Did it work with HS right out of the box plug and play?
[doublepost=1547223886][/doublepost]What are the best RX580's the work plug and play in HS right out of the box?

My Sapphire (purchased from OWC as a kit with a wire) worked right out of the box. But I upgraded to Mojave soon after I installed it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Confirmed - but only for a single monitor setup. With dual monitors, the fans do spin and even ramp up slightly from time-to-time.

It's not directly related to single or multi monitors setup.

The RX580 use about 200% more power (idle) in multi monitors setup than single monitor setup. Therefore, the GPU runs warmer. Depends on ambient condition, and the card's fan logic / profile, the GPU temperature may be just high enough to keep the fans spinning.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Do they use 3x more with a 3 monitor setup?

No. The difference is only single or multiple.

For single monitor setup, the idle consumption is about 10-15W.
image.png

For multi monitor setup, it's about 30-45W.
image.png

AFAIK, the difference is due to the GPU will not able to down clock to the lowest power state when multi monitors are connected. However, no matter 2,3,4 monitors are connected, the GPU will stay at the same power level, therefore, same power consumption.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
The RX580 use about 200% more power (idle) in multi monitors setup than single monitor setup. Therefore, the GPU runs warmer. Depends on ambient condition, and the card's fan logic / profile, the GPU temperature may be just high enough to keep the fans spinning.

Any way to change the 580 power draw on mac? Hearing them spin up (no matter how little) is a distraction after years of running a whisper-quiet 5770.

I'm just using (2) 19" 1440 x 900 displays. Ambient temps are low/ideal during idle, so much so my 5,1 fans pretty much stick to their minimum RPM speeds.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Any way to change the 580 power draw on mac? Hearing them spin up (no matter how little) is a distraction after years of running a whisper-quiet 5770.

I'm just using (2) 19" 1440 x 900 displays. Ambient temps are low/ideal during idle, so much so my 5,1 fans pretty much stick to their minimum RPM speeds.

Did you check if the fan noise is really coming from the RX580 but not PCIe fan?

And which RX580 you are running now? (sorry, I am a bit lazy to search your posts to check which card you are using)

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Did you check if the fan noise is really coming from the RX580 but not PCIe fan?

And which RX580 you are running now? (sorry, I am a bit lazy to search your posts to check which card you are using)

Yep - Kept an eye on MacsFanControl stats and also disconnected a monitor to observe the difference in behavior.

It's the Apple-recommended Sapphire model, purchase from Newegg.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yep - Kept an eye on MacsFanControl stats and also disconnected a monitor to observe the difference in behavior.

It's the Apple-recommended Sapphire model, purchase from Newegg.

The PULSE's fan shouldn't be that noisy. For multi monitor setup, about 25C room temperature (which means above 30C system ambient), the fan should be still very inaudible (may be around 1000RPM).

You can use the following command in terminal go get the GPU fan speed reading.

Code:
ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|%\|(W)\|Hz'

You may record the idle reading, and then check the fan speed again when you feel the noise.

Anyway, I made a thread here about how to down volt / down clock specifically the PULSE RX580 8GB card. It will help the card to run cooler (and usually faster because less thermal constrain). You may go to have a look.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sapphire-pulse-rx580-8gb-vbios-study.2133607/

I recommend you read through that 5 pages. 1st page have some general info, page 4 has some discussion about fan speed and more in-depth about down volt

Reactions: Synchro3

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Thanks, h9826790. I was unaware you could monitor the GPU directly!

Okay, thanks to your Terminal command, I can confirm the noise I'm hearing is the fans on the RX580 spinning up.

Room temp is 21C

Here are the results when quiet:

"Device Utilization %"=1
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=549
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=75

And here is the result during peak noise:

"Device Utilization %"=0
"Fan Speed(%)"=19
"Core Clock(MHz)"=509
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=949
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=75

No stress on the GPU at all - seems to happen at random. And the noise goes away after the fans settle down to idle at 836 or so.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks, h9826790. I was unaware you could monitor the GPU directly!

Okay, thanks to your Terminal command, I can confirm the noise I'm hearing is the fans on the RX580 spinning up.

Room temp is 21C

Here are the results when quiet:

"Device Utilization %"=1
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=549
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=75

And here is the result during peak noise:

"Device Utilization %"=0
"Fan Speed(%)"=19
"Core Clock(MHz)"=509
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"GPU Activity(%)"=0
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=949
"Temperature(C)"=51
"Total Power(W)"=75

No stress on the GPU at all - seems to happen at random. And the noise goes away after the fans settle down to idle at 836 or so.

If it's the fan noise characteristic changing causing the issue, and you feel that the noise goes away once the fan goes below 800RPM. You may mod the ROM to switch off Fuzzy Fan Mode, and keep the GPU fan running at low RPM at idle. So that your GPU is protected (from overheat) under low stress, and the fan speed shouldn't change dramatically (under light use). Which should be better (if the sudden spin up really catching your attention).

Or you can make it stay at 0 RPM until 60C (or even 65C) etc, which may also help if your room temperature is cool enough, and your GPU rarely can go beyond 60C.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Just throwing this out there - check the bearings on your RX 580 fans. It seems many from various manufacturers of RX 580 go bad more frequently than any previous generation of GPU for some reason. The ones from Sapphire are pretty easy to swap with one screw below the fan and no wiring replacement necessary. Pretty great design, but also pathetic it's such an issue they designed for this... Finding those quick replace fans as parts are not cheap though, usually around $25-30 each.

Reactions: Synchro3

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Just throwing this out there - check the bearings on your RX 580 fans. It seems many from various manufacturers of RX 580 go bad more frequently than any previous generation of GPU for some reason.

That's what I was thinking. It's pretty obvious and it only happens when moving up to 900+ RPM. (RPMs are always under 1k for the light work I've been doing.)

What's the best way to check the bearings? (I don't have Windows on the machine to play with bios settings or whatever)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Do they spin freely if you spin by hand, or do you feel resistance and/or hear a sound?

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Do they spin freely if you spin by hand, or do you feel resistance and/or hear a sound?

Pretty sure they spun freely when I installed the card a week or so ago... I didn't really mess with them though, for fear of causing damage (I don't know if they're only made to spin in one direction).

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
They seem to spin freely w/o any noise. I even pulled the (very) small eSATA card located in slot #2 right above the 2nd GPU fan to make sure it wasn't an impeded airflow thing.

Seems the fan "whine" occurs between 870 and 920 RPMs. (ie. <830 and >1000 RPMs are quiet.)

Is this expected oscillation noise or something? I'm ready to put the weaker, but quiet 5770 back in and stay on High Sierra forever. Lol

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Switching the 580 to the "compute" bios mode to see if this helps... Max core clock is lower, but the fans still spin up whenever the temps hit 52C (which is during normal usage)... wish there was a way to adjust the 580's fan settings on Mac OS. :(

I wonder if I'd be better served by the 560 and it's single fan?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
They seem to spin freely w/o any noise. I even pulled the (very) small eSATA card located in slot #2 right above the 2nd GPU fan to make sure it wasn't an impeded airflow thing.

Seems the fan "whine" occurs between 870 and 920 RPMs. (ie. <830 and >1000 RPMs are quiet.)

Is this expected oscillation noise or something? I'm ready to put the weaker, but quiet 5770 back in and stay on High Sierra forever. Lol

May be you have the "beat frequency" issue in your setup.

If >1000 RPM is quiet, you may mod the ROM to turn off Zero Fan Mode, and keep the fan spinning at 1100RPM during idle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.