Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
May be you have the "beat frequency" issue in your setup.

If >1000 RPM is quiet, you may mod the ROM to turn off Zero Fan Mode, and keep the fan spinning at 1100RPM during idle.

What is the "beat frequency" issue?

Unfortunately I don't have Windows installed on this machine to mod the ROM. (If I did, I'd probably change the behavior so they didn't cycle on and off so much during casual usage.)

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There's a really good video about the design of the dual fan setup on the Aputure COB 300D production LED light that explains this concept perfectly if you search for it.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
a beat is an interference pattern between two sounds of slightly different frequencies, perceived as a periodic variation in volume whose rate is the difference of the two frequencies.

Thanks!

1. Do you believe a fan replacement would solve this issue?

2. And is there absolutely no way to control GPU fan speed using mac OS?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks!

1. Do you believe a fan replacement would solve this issue?

2. And is there absolutely no way to control GPU fan speed using mac OS?

1) possible, but if you already think about fan replacements. May be you can try simply open the card, swap the fans, and give them some lubrications first.

2) AFAIK, only 2 way.

a) Hack the ROM

b) Hack the kext

And both method need Windows.

Finalbosslvl

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2019
I need a bigger better GPU for my 2010 mac pro 3.33 running Sierra and having already tried a GTX 970 with the software I need it for , I know nvidia cards will not work , so it has to be AMD.

Unfortunately the Sapphire Pulse 8gb RX580s are rare as hens teeth here in Australia. They can go as high as $600 and I ain't paying that sort of loot for one. Unfortunately I want one to use with Trainz simulator, which isn't optimized for Metal and due to the ability of players to make their own assets, is notoriously hard on GPU's . I want 8gb Vram as I was using a GTX 680 4gb briefly until it died and saw very little improvement over the 2gb model I'm using.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the ASUS Radeon RX 580 8gb ROG Strix TOP Edition or the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB in their Mac pros ?

I've spent about an hour looking through these posts , plus hours on the net as well and could not find anyone who has one installed and working.

Of course i know they may have boot up issues, but given the 8gb Radeon mini gaming card is included in one of the latest e gpu enclosures , i was hoping its big brother might also be a good choice to go for .
I'm prepared to update to High Sierra if i have to in order to get this to work even though my copy of CS5 Photoshop will probably give me grief .
[doublepost=1551492211][/doublepost]
I need a bigger better GPU for my 2010 mac pro 3.33 running Sierra and having already tried a GTX 970 with the software I need it for , I know nvidia cards will not work , so it has to be AMD.

Unfortunately the Sapphire Pulse 8gb RX580s are rare as hens teeth here in Australia. They can go as high as $600 and I ain't paying that sort of loot for one. Unfortunately I want one to use with Trainz simulator, which isn't optimized for Metal and due to the ability of players to make their own assets, is notoriously hard on GPU's . I want 8gb Vram as I was using a GTX 680 4gb briefly until it died and saw very little improvement over the 2gb model I'm using.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the ASUS Radeon RX 580 8gb ROG Strix TOP Edition or the Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB in their Mac pros ?

I've spent about an hour looking through these posts , plus hours on the net as well and could not find anyone who has one installed and working.

Of course i know they may have boot up issues, but given the 8gb Radeon mini gaming card is included in one of the latest e gpu enclosures , i was hoping its big brother might also be a good choice to go for .
I'm prepared to update to High Sierra if i have to in order to get this to work even though my copy of CS5 Photoshop will probably give me grief .
[doublepost=1551492284][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1551492211][/doublepost]
ASUS Radeon RX 580 8gb ROG Strix Doesn’t work. I got one cheap and now have to find a way to sell it.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014

Gross. :p

It sounds more and more like I'm experiencing "beat frequency", as defined by crjackson2134. If I could just keep the fans running, it'd probably be okay. But unfortunately, it sounds like we're entering Hackintosh territory, in term of the time and effort it would take to make this happen. Ugh.

Quicksilver867

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
Philly
Glad this thread exists, among others.

Just picked up a Sapphire RX580 for my newly-acquired Mid-2010 5,1.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this thing.

Reactions: h9826790

mesaken

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
These are back in stock and cheaper. Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E $209 @ Amazon

Reactions: h9826790

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
These are back in stock and cheaper. Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI / DVI-D / Dual DP OC with Backplate (UEFI) PCI-E $209 @ Amazon

Is there any difference for the purposes of Mojave/Metal support between 11265-05-20G and 11265-09-20G?

[UPDATE:] Ah, it seems the difference is in 8GB vs 4GB memory, or at least one of them.

Oz_Kaiser

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
Brisbane
Just ordered a Gigabyte Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8G
I'm hoping this will just plug-n-play into my mid 2010 MacPro?
My main concern I think is power, but maybe I've just confused myself reading all these threads :-/

I'm moving from the ATI Radeon HD 5770. Do I need a power/splitter cable and if so, what do I need?

Last edited:

Flocarino

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Montreal, Canada
you need a dual min 6 pin to 8 pin like one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._nkw=dual+min+6+pin+to+8+pin+mac+pro&_sacat=0

or if you have two small 6 pin to normal 6 pin cables you can get a dual 6 pin to 8 pin and chain them (thats what i did)
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dual+6+pin+to+8+pin&i=electronics&crid=24DU7ESLH26G9&sprefix=dual+6+pin+to+,electronics,253&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14
or this one, perfect length and quality...just patience with shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18AWG-Dual...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reactions: Oz_Kaiser

Oz_Kaiser

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2019
Brisbane
you need a dual min 6 pin to 8 pin like one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_..._nkw=dual+min+6+pin+to+8+pin+mac+pro&_sacat=0

or if you have two small 6 pin to normal 6 pin cables you can get a dual 6 pin to 8 pin and chain them (thats what i did)
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dual+6+pin+to+8+pin&i=electronics&crid=24DU7ESLH26G9&sprefix=dual+6+pin+to+,electronics,253&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

Thanks for the replies... I had posted a pic of a cable I have, but I forgot the 'mini' part... its a standard 6,2 ->8 pin
Looks like I have to order and wait as no one in Brisbane stocks anything like this

Last edited:

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
well your closer to China than me, I had a 2+ week wait for one cable.

I had two small 6 pin to 6 pin cables so just grabed a dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable that was local to me and daisy chained it, not ideal and one day ill get the single cable so it's neater but it works.
it's to long now so have to kind of poke it in each time i close the case, relay need to get a zip tie on it to take the slack away.

Reactions: Oz_Kaiser

play.exe

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
I don't have this issue luckily. All my iPhone photos synced to my Mac via iCloud photo library look and display as they should. :D
[doublepost=1533403698][/doublepost]

it works fine for me, no issues at all.

I have the MSI RX580 with 4gb, and its running fine off 1 mini6pin -> 8pin. Fans barely run on the gpu, maybe due to light load?

Im probably going to blow something up right?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have the MSI RX580 with 4gb, and its running fine off 1 mini6pin -> 8pin. Fans barely run on the gpu, maybe due to light load?

Im probably going to blow something up right?

Your cMP will shut itself down when your RX580 really try to work hard and pull more power. You should power it by using DUAL mini 6pin to single 8pin.

For normal low demand usage, of course it doesn't really matter.

But should be nothing unsafe. That shutdown protection is a reason to be there.

play.exe

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2019
I ordered one off amazon after reading this thread. Should be here by Wednesday. I've done some light gaming on league of legends and some video editing in FCPX....fan barely ran for a few seconds. Seems to be pretty stable. Temperatures on my mac fan control seem normal.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
a lot of people use the EVGA power link as well for the dual 6pin to 8 pin
gallery_02_LG.jpg

albertyy

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2020
Confirmed - but only for a single monitor setup. With dual monitors, the fans do spin and even ramp up slightly from time-to-time.

hey
I am here in this forum for the first time and am currently reading your posts on the graphics card
I feel just like you.
The fans of the RX580 run up every 20 seconds and then switch off completely.
This is more annoying than if they would always turn at a moderate speed.
This is apparently due to a multi-monitor operation.
I don't have a Windows computer here either.
What solution did you find to “modden” the card?

That's why I returned the card
but would like to find a solution.
I am currently still using a 280 AMD card

I am also not a technician and ask you where I can get the card
Have it converted so that this fan problem no longer occurs?

I also connected two monitors here and I don't want to do without them either.

I would appreciate a reply to my email address:
info@hafeninszenierungen.de
[automerge]1590534658[/automerge]
1) possible, but if you already think about fan replacements. May be you can try simply open the card, swap the fans, and give them some lubrications first.

2) AFAIK, only 2 way.

a) Hack the ROM

b) Hack the kext

hey
I am here in this forum for the first time and am currently reading your posts on the graphics card
I feel just like jeffperrin here in this Forum.
The fans of the RX580 run up every 20 seconds and then switch off completely.
This is more annoying than if they would always turn at a moderate speed.
This is apparently due to a multi-monitor operation.
I don't have a Windows computer here either.
What solution did you find to “modden” the card?

That's why I returned the card
but would like to find a solution.
I am currently still using a 280 AMD card

I am also not a technician and ask you where I can get the card
Have it converted so that this fan problem no longer occurs?

I also connected two monitors here and I don't want to do without them either.

I would appreciate a reply to my email address:
info@hafeninszenierungen.de

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.