Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I’m failing to understand what your statement have to do with the early-2008 Mac Pro support of AMD GPUs and the Apple AMD driver requirements.

I'm thinking they are referring to the fact that Windows users can use new AMD cards, without SSE 4.2. Phenom II's I think are limited to sse4 or 4.1.
Meanwhile we have a Phenom II PC with RX460.
You can use an RX460 in a 3,1 if you only use Windows on it. Why have a mac pro at that point?
The SSE 4.2 thing is only forced to DX12 use in Windows. The card still works for basic use and anything not inDX12 mode. However if I was using a pre sse4.2 PC I'd just use a Geforce to avoid the issue all together.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'm thinking they are referring to the fact that Windows users can use new AMD cards, without SSE 4.2. Phenom II's I think are limited to sse4 or 4.1.
It has SSE3 but not SSSE3.

It also has SSE4a.

Most games don't even need SSSE3.

The Steam survey now normally shows that the whole Mac,Linux,Win user base would be SSE3 (SSSE3 for Mac).

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe #17163 is a solution? It's a kext that emulates two missing SSE4.2 instructions used by newer macOS AMD drivers. It also lets me run World of Warcraft and Classic WoW on a MacPro3,1 running Mojave or High Sierra with a GTX 680 (but there's a strange problem with the text drawing).

Reactions: Ludacrisvp

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I have a sapphire pulse rx 580 4gb “oc” and a red devil rx 580 8gb dual rom. The devil takes up 3 slots so I moved it to a different machine and got the pulse for in the 3,1 instead so that I could access my slots again.
I used the netkas patch and the disable library validation kext. I loaded refind and a clover driver for boot screen support.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I have the"DisableLibraryValidation.kext" file, but I am unsure about where to put it.
The Netkas site seems do be down, so no help from there.
Looks interesting. Could you, please, elaborate on this?

Installed here:
Code:
/Library/Extensions/DisableLibraryValidation.kext

Set permissions, and manually loaded it, updated caches, then rebooted and swapped in my RX580 card.

This happened to be my boot drive (disk 5) this command output is from
Code:
diskutil list
Code:
/dev/disk5 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk5
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk5s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk7         822.6 GB   disk5s2
   3:                 Apple_APFS Container disk6         116.3 GB   disk5s3
   4:                  Apple_HFS old-installer           40.4 GB    disk5s4
   5:                  Apple_HFS Installer               20.4 GB    disk5s5

Code:
Mac-Pro:~ ludacrisvp$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
Mac-Pro:~ ludacrisvp$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk5s1 /Volumes/EFI

Installed rEFInd with GOP support and added the highlighted driver for display support between the rEFInd boot picker and the OS splash screen (this gives things like verbose boot support / single user mode)

Pasted Graphic.png

Get this version of rEFInd from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qrXbRiFIfqeqaxgmZ8tPGQn4PIdLL_Hh

Then add the OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to the drivers_x64 folder.
I grabbed mine from here:

Last edited:

nick2632

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2015
Anyone know if the Netkas patch is being hosted anywhere in particular with the website being down?

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Anyone know if the Netkas patch is being hosted anywhere in particular with the website being down?
Not sure if this is ok to do per forum rules but here is a copy of it I had stored on my phone.

EDIT: Replaced attachment -- somehow it was corrupted, new copy uploaded.

Attachments

• AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bz2.zip
    541.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
With the 3,1 you can use , say an nvidia gtx680 which is supported and has metal, the install Mojave with the dosdude patch and the machine runs just fine. I have done it. Also the nvidia gt640 works. I imagine the 7950 and 7970 amd cards work too.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
With the 3,1 you can use , say an nvidia gtx680 which is supported and has metal, the install Mojave with the dosdude patch and the machine runs just fine. I have done it. Also the nvidia gt640 works. I imagine the 7950 and 7970 amd cards work too.
No, no AMD cards work with MP3,1 at all starting with High Sierra, that's why the patch for RX 4xx/5xx SSE4.2 emulation exits.

Reactions: Ludacrisvp

Prophet96ix

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2019
Germany
Hello,

I tried a whole Day and Night to make it work but I failed.
Can somebody please give me detailed instructions on how to install all that?

Also, I can't extract the bz2 fixed Metal Driver from Netkas, every Archiver gives me an error.

I really need your help :/

Svenisak

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Installed here:
Code:
/Library/Extensions/DisableLibraryValidation.kext

Set permissions, and manually loaded it, updated caches, then rebooted and swapped in my RX580 card.

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. The screens just sit there, with the power-lights flashing. It just as if the computer is turned off (or pot to sleep). However, the fans spin up, so I must assume that the card gets power.

1. I assume that you really mean /Library/Extensions/ as the path to where to install the "DisableLibraryValidation.kext" file and not System/Library/Extensions/, where the patched "AMDMTLBronzeDriver" bundle resides.

2. Using "BatChmon" I've set the permissions to:
Owner: root (RWX)
Group: wheel (R-X)
Everyone: (R-X)

These are the usual settings when asked to set Permissions (and the same as the original "AMDMTLBronzeDriver" File.

You also say to "manually load" the kext file and update the "cache". I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. An explanation would be appreciated.

Oh, by the way. After removing the RX580 card and put the original HD 2600 XT back in, the screens work just fine.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
Unfortunately, I still can't get it to work. The screens just sit there, with the power-lights flashing. It just as if the computer is turned off (or pot to sleep). However, the fans spin up, so I must assume that the card gets power.

1. I assume that you really mean /Library/Extensions/ as the path to where to install the "DisableLibraryValidation.kext" file and not System/Library/Extensions/, where the patched "AMDMTLBronzeDriver" bundle resides.

2. Using "BatChmon" I've set the permissions to:
Owner: root (RWX)
Group: wheel (R-X)
Everyone: (R-X)

These are the usual settings when asked to set Permissions (and the same as the original "AMDMTLBronzeDriver" File.

You also say to "manually load" the kext file and update the "cache". I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. An explanation would be appreciated.

Oh, by the way. After removing the RX580 card and put the original HD 2600 XT back in, the screens work just fine.
Go here

Reactions: nc_lee

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Dosdude's Catalina Patcher includes the mouSSE SSE4.2 emulator. Mac Pro 3,1 + RX570/580 + Catalina Patcher works without issues.

(The Sapphire RX570 Nitro will block your Slot 2 though.) ?

Thank you. What a brilliant hack by Dosdue, to have included the sse4.2

The slot 2 will pose a problem only if i were to add another card right ? Or are there any other issues. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.