Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest episode of hit Apple TV+ comedy series "Ted Lasso," Jeremy Swift's character Higgins briefly poked fun at actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney purchasing Welsh soccer club Wrexham AFC last year.

reynolds-mcelhenney-ted-lasso.jpg

As noted by Deadline, Reynolds and McElhenney responded over the weekend by tweeting a letter that sarcastically threatens legal action against Apple TV+ over the joke.

"While we hold the incomparable Jeremy Swift in no ill regard and are honored to be mentioned on the platform that's brought us high-quality programming ranging from Mythic Quest season one to Mythic Quest season two, we must insist that you cease and desist from the casting of any doubt regarding our commitment to the club, the fans and the entire Wrexham community," the letter reads in part.

For context, McElhenney is one of the creators of "Mythic Quest," so he is sarcastically pumping up his own Apple TV+ series.

Reynolds and McElhenney added that, in order to avoid legal action, Apple was required to send two large boxes of Ted Lasso's biscuits to Wrexham AFC's stadium prior to the club's season opening match on Saturday. Apple TV+ responded with a tweet saying that it has a team of 2,000 lawyers furiously baking. It would be humorous if Apple actually delivered on the promise, but sadly the actors have yet to follow up with any evidence.

Apple TV+ is priced at $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year and provides access to a growing library of original TV shows and movies, including "Ted Lasso," which has been a massive hit for the service and a strong marketing asset. The first season of the show won multiple major awards and the second season is currently underway.

Article Link: Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney Demand Ted Lasso Biscuits in Satirical Letter Addressed to Apple TV+

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40

Mcckoe

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Apple paid for Rob and got Ryan thrown in for free. They should be designing the world’s best biscuit, have the world’s best chefs work on creation, and send them exclusively to Apple: board members and TV Stars. I mean from design to finished product couldn’t cost more than a 50 million, and they got Ryan for free so the cost is kind of “baked” in.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I'm not a real football fan (nor an American "footbal"l fan), but I'm so hopelessly addicted to this show that after binging the entire thing over a weekend even I was blurting out "Futbol is life!" at random moments.

And those biscuits, combined with Ted's accent, look like "good 'ole southern" cornbread.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and ErikGrim

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Apple has 2000 lawyers? I guess this is how the Romans felt at the twilight of their empire.

Is season 2 also amazing?

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Sharon: "Hi Ted. How are you doing?"

Ted: "I'm dealing with the terror of knowing what this world is about. Watching some good friends screaming to let them out."

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
They really messed up the show this season. There's absolutely no conflict or storyline this season, as conflict is the center of a story. Very passive. Season 1 was brilliant, but season 2 phoned it in.

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Assuming Apple renews the series for a third season, which it hasn't.
Not officially, but I'm sure when Rob is ready to focus on it (He is busy with Sunny rn) all he needs to do is ask Apple for it. I highly doubt they would say no.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.