Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
So my Series 2 Apple Watch started to behave unpleasant when placed on the charger since last week.
Not sure if it has anything to do with it being paired now to the my new iPhone 14PM but when placing it on the charger every 5-10 mins at random it will chime and do the animation of being placed on the charger or sometimes it will reboot and show the Apple logo and then do the chime once again.

So far i have tried all this and nothing has seemed to fix the issue:
Restart
Force Restart
Unpaired and repaired
Let it drain the battery down completely
Have tried another 2 Apple pucks and also tried charging from my MacBook

Has anyone been else had the exact same issue and if so were you able to correct it?

Reactions: Ram65 and PCKid

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Same thing on my old S3, its been stored away for a couple of years though when i got my S6.
Sorry to hear you are having the same issue :(
Hmm im wondering now if its a iOS 16 thing maybe?
Are you running iOS on your iPhone paired with your Watch?

I bought my S2 on launch day but i honestly didnt start using it properly until 3 years later and honesty maybe the last year is where i started to use it daily so i dont think the battery health is the problem as the unit it self hasn't had much use overall.

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
dont know if this might be a point here, but You should consider, that the chemicals in a battery, after laying around for 3 years, still are three years old; even if it only ran through lets say 3 load/charging cycles for example.
Additionally the possibility of it being discharged deeply, might have done harm..
fingers crossed, that the watch somehow gets better!

Reactions: robotica

jamdex

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2012
Manchester UK
Sorry to hear you are having the same issue :(
Hmm im wondering now if its a iOS 16 thing maybe?
Are you running iOS on your iPhone paired with your Watch?

I bought my S2 on launch day but i honestly didnt start using it properly until 3 years later and honesty maybe the last year is where i started to use it daily so i dont think the battery health is the problem as the unit it self hasn't had much use overall.
Strange that we both had them for a period without using them; @schlupps might be onto something.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
dont know if this might be a point here, but You should consider, that the chemicals in a battery, after laying around for 3 years, still are three years old; even if it only ran through lets say 3 load/charging cycles for example.
Additionally the possibility of it being discharged deeply, might have done harm..
fingers crossed, that the watch somehow gets better!
Certainly is possible of course yeah.
Hope it isn't though as i wanted to get another year or 2 out of this Watch before i retired it.

Strange that we both had them for a period without using them; @schlupps might be onto something.
The only thing is i found it started soon as i installed iOS 16....might be a coincidence though and perhaps the battery has got a issue now?
Not sure if its worth mentioning though that the battery life on my S2 has not degraded hardly at all.
Id wear it from 6am and use the fitness app daily for at least 30 mins and still but time id go tot bed around after 11pm id still have like 40% battery left on it.

jamdex

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2012
Manchester UK
The only thing is i found it started soon as i installed iOS 16....might be a coincidence though and perhaps the battery has got a issue now?
Not sure if its worth mentioning though that the battery life on my S2 has not degraded hardly at all.
Id wear it from 6am and use the fitness app daily for at least 30 mins and still but time id go tot bed around after 11pm id still have like 40% battery left on it.
I updated straight away when i got it out of storage so i have nothing to compare pre iOS 16/WatchOS 9

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Also this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...atchos-9.2358648/?post=31535126#post-31535126

My series 2 started doing this when fully charged recently but it hasn't been updated nor has my iPhone, still on 15.6. 15.7 hasn't fixed it. My series 6 does not have this issue.

This kind of thing has happend a few times over the years, apple releases an update to fix it. Lets make sure Apple knows about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: chriswhv6

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Also this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...atchos-9.2358648/?post=31535126#post-31535126

My series 2 started doing this when fully charged recently but it hasn't been updated nor has my iPhone, still on 15.6. 15.7 hasn't fixed it. My series 6 does not have this issue.

This kind of thing has happend a few times over the years, apple releases an update to fix it. Lets make sure Apple knows about this.
Thank you so much for your feedback also.

I think it’s fair to say something is definitely up with us in here and having the same issue and beginning around the same time also.
Something must have triggered it then.

I too hope so a fix is released.

PCKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Australia
So my Series 2 Apple Watch started to behave unpleasant when placed on the charger since last week.
Not sure if it has anything to do with it being paired now to the my new iPhone 14PM but when placing it on the charger every 5-10 mins at random it will chime and do the animation of being placed on the charger or sometimes it will reboot and show the Apple logo and then do the chime once again.

Restart
Force Restart
Unpaired and repaired

Has anyone been else had the exact same issue and if so were you able to correct it?
Both my wife’s and my watch 2 have started doing it exactly as yours. Done everything you’ve done too. I’m on whatever last update we could do on watch 2 models and on iOS 16 on iPhone 11. Did it about a week ago. Is it an obsolescence time thing?

PCKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Australia
To be honest i'm saying WatchOS 9 but it might not be; it's been updated to the latest possible WatchOS
My wife and I just started having this a week ago on our watch 2S. Tried everything. Three different pucks. Reading this thread we have all had this at the same time. Sadly there has been no update for this model for a long time. We are on whatever the last update was. Planned obsolescence maybe 🤔?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Well... its a mystery. My series 2 seems to have repaired itself. I kinda suspect the issue has something to do with the battery and/or battery monitor, but my daughter visited the other day and I saw a notice on the watch that her iPhone's hot spot is active and asked if I wanted to connect. I declined and later went back into the watch config and selected our home's wireless network. It hasn't restarted on the charger since... but its only been a couple days, couple recharge cycles. Did I mention that its a mystery.

If I recall correctly, a similar thing happened prior to the restart issue, at that time I simply declined..... dunno. Perhaps a red herring.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Both my wife’s and my watch 2 have started doing it exactly as yours. Done everything you’ve done too. I’m on whatever last update we could do on watch 2 models and on iOS 16 on iPhone 11. Did it about a week ago. Is it an obsolescence time thing?
Thank you for confirming you have the identical problem as my self and happening at the exact same time.

Im wondering if its something that has been triggered by a specific date thing or another software bug perhaps??

Since last week i havnt put my S2 on the charger and left it to drain, however its still has enough power to show the time if i press the crown wheel.

Im trying to let it drain completely before i put it on the charger to test again.

Well... its a mystery. My series 2 seems to have repaired itself. I kinda suspect the issue has something to do with the battery and/or battery monitor, but my daughter visited the other day and I saw a notice on the watch that her iPhone's hot spot is active and asked if I wanted to connect. I declined and later went back into the watch config and selected our home's wireless network. It hasn't restarted on the charger since... but its only been a couple days, couple recharge cycles. Did I mention that its a mystery.

If I recall correctly, a similar thing happened prior to the restart issue, at that time I simply declined..... dunno. Perhaps a red herring.
Thats fantastic to hear yours is back in working order!!
I too hope mine fixes after i put it back on the charger after i drain it completely!

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014

Restart
Force Restart
Unpaired and repaired

Might have to upgrade

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Might have to upgrade
I already have my new S8 Watch...and the funny thing is that soon as i placed the order for my S8 the following day is when my S2 started to play up.
Perhaps it got angry??? LOL

No in seriousness i want my S2 to work as i still plan to use and alternate between the two.

Reactions: Ram65

PCKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Australia

That’s odd. We are staying with a friend so now on her network. Still doing it.

• Sad

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
That’s odd. We are staying with a friend so now on her network. Still doing it.
It may have been kicked out of the restart cycle by me going into settings and selecting the current network. It may just be a coincidence.

PCKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Australia
It may have been kicked out of the restart cycle by me going into settings and selecting the current network. It may just be a coincidence.
Where are you re selecting the network on watch itself or from the watch app on the iPhone?

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
So I decided to put my S2 of n the charger and about 40% into charging I saw the Apple logo and it was doing the rebooting again :(

Once it did reboot I switched off wifi all together on the Watch and put it back on the charger and it charged up to 100% with no reboots or random chimes.

Not sure if turning off wifi did the trick all of a sudden or it was just a coincidence that it didn’t reboot/chime??

I will try tomorrow again with Wi-Fi on and see what happens when I place it on the charge.

PCKid

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
Australia
So I decided to put my S2 of n the charger and about 40% into charging I saw the Apple logo and it was doing the rebooting again :(

Once it did reboot I switched off wifi all together on the Watch and put it back on the charger and it charged up to 100% with no reboots or random chimes.

Not sure if turning off wifi did the trick all of a sudden or it was just a coincidence that it didn’t reboot/chime??

I will try tomorrow again with Wi-Fi on and see what happens when I place it on the charge.
Tried that and it still a reboot after about 5 minutes. I guess putting it in aeroplane mode would stop the ping

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Tried that and it still a reboot after about 5 minutes. I guess putting it in aeroplane mode would stop the ping
Fair enough.
I guess the remaining 50% i was just lucky that it didnt go into the reboot mode again i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.