Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I ended up switching wireless off entirely as once in awhile my S2 would kick into a reboot cycle.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
I ended up switching wireless off entirely as once in awhile my S2 would kick into a reboot cycle.
I have had wifi turned off on my S2 since last week (directly from the Watch settings-wifi toggle) and each night on the charger its behaved correctly now..no chimes and no reboots.

Not sure why having wifi on all of a sudden is causing this problem?
Ive had it on ever since the start that i bought my S2 but from about 1 month ago it started to not be able to charge properly.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Can confirm that having wifi turned on is causing the problem with me old S2 watch.

I had wifi turned off for almost 3 weeks and each night on the charger, no problem with charging. No random reboots, no chimes, nothing.
Last night i decided to turn back on wifi and soon as i did and placed my S2 on the charger within a few mins it started to chime and show the charging animation every 5 mins or so and then it began to reboot with the Apple logo.
Turned off wifi, put it back on the charger and its fine again.

I dont understand how this issue has happened since i haven't updated the OS on my S2 in a long time because there isn't a newer version available.......really really strange.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The watch uses wifi to connect to your phone if bluetooth is not available. Perhaps a change in the phone's wifi protocol during one of the phone's updates, is making the watch unhappy enough to restart. Or perhaps a change in your home network topology... dunno My S2 does the same thing.

chriswhv6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
The watch uses wifi to connect to your phone if bluetooth is not available. Perhaps a change in the phone's wifi protocol during one of the phone's updates, is making the watch unhappy enough to restart. Or perhaps a change in your home network topology... dunno My S2 does the same thing.
Yeah definitely something has happened to make my S2 Watch go bonkers.
From memory it began about 1 week before the iPhone 14 launched.
So technically only that Watch was still paired with my phone and even when it was connected to my iPhone X it still would reboot on the charger.

Switched now to the iPhone 14PM plus have added a new S8 Watch but the S2 is still misbehaving.

Like you said perhaps it’s an update that was pushed and installed with out my knowledge that’s is causing the problem either to the phones or my wifi???

S8 Watch is working fine though with wifi turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.