Sad realization today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So I was finally able to view my data usage online after my first month of use. As I was looking at my text messages, I noticed that even my AT&T messages were using the 200 that I pay for.

Now with my old plan, I payed $9.99 for 200 messages and unlimited mobile to mobile messaging. I guess I had just assumed (bad idea with AT&T) that it had carried over to my new plan since I got all of my rollover minutes and the rest of my plan stayed the same.

So I decided I'd call in to AT&T and see what they could tell me about how far I had gone over. The results: 200 messages/month, 1,363 used. :eek: As you can imagine, I was not happy. I asked them if they could upgrade me to the iPhone 1500 plan and have it show that I had it for the entire time. She refused. She took my phone number and said she'd call with the exact figures once my bill posts on the 5th. She estimated that it'd be somewhere in the $60 area for overage charges...

Obviously if I had known I didn't have unlimited I would have never used as many as I did.

Anway.... I just had to rant somewhere somebody might have had a similar problem.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I think you have to specifically request unlimited in-messaging with iPhone plans. It's stupid.

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yes you do, and it's $5 a month ... (which i have and love)

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Go with the unlimited TM plan...

whatever the cost, ask to speak to a manager or supervisor. Be adamant that you want your account credited for those previous overcharges and they may balk on it at first, and then offer to pay HALF. You have options, and especially if you are making changes to your plan (unlimited text messages) to prevent the situation from happening again! :eek:

6. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was told by the representative I spoke to that this was promotional and is no longer available. I'd be all over it if it was.

7. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Sorry, this is of absolutely no help to you, but 1363 text messages in one month!

Damn!

8. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Apparently it's not all that uncommon since AT&T offers the 1500 message plan for only 10 dollars more/month. And like I said before, had I known I didn't have unlimited I wouldn't have used anywhere near that many.

9. iansilv macrumors 6502a

what do you mean?

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

you do not get unlimited?
    on sprint i think we pay 5 bucks each for unlimited.

ha my moms phone for her work just got a bill of 2500.
    and her compony is lagging on paying it. stupid planes

11. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

On your old plan when you say unlimited mobile-to-mobile you mean on the AT&T network?

12. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yes, it was AT&T. It was $9.99 for 200 texts and unlimited mobile to mobile texting ($4.99 for the 200 and $5.00 for the added unlimited option).

13. AMoeini macrumors member

AMoeini

Honestly, It isn't that much at all. Between my sister and I (both teens in high school) we go through 4000-5000 each per month. My "record" for texts in a month is ~7,500. Granted I have a sidekick with the unlimited plan. (iPhone in a few months!!)

I'm sorry about your situation, companies are really stubborn over their overcharges. Just keep trying, be aggressive but not disrespectful, and don't take no for an answer. $60 is a lot, but trust me, it could be much worse. Hope everything gets worked out!

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

15. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

One of my previous jobs was as a complaints manager. As a commentary on that piece, I would agree with most of ot with the exception of two points:

1) You should always try to reach resolution with the customer representative first since over 80% of calls can be resolved at this stage. Hanging up because you can't immediately get a manager is silly.
    2) This will not work where you are clearly in the wrong. We can and do block the numbers of people who don't understand this.

16. sparkyms macrumors 65816

be thankful you don't live in the UK, as going over an SMS allowance by 1136 would cost you a whopping £139.56 which is $277.28.

Although, I'm sure if you keep persisting with Customer Service you might be able to get some or all of the fee waived.

17. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well I appreciate all of the advice provided (and the interesting article), but I still have to wait til I get the bill before anything can be resolved.

18. kane4fire macrumors member

Simple solution, just e-mail people instead of sending SMS'

19. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

How is that a simple solution when a majority of the people in my age group aren't using email capable phones??

20. James L macrumors 6502a

7500 texts in one month? In a 31 day month that is 242 texts per day.

21. kane4fire macrumors member

Well that's why Apple says to do with the lack of MMS. I wish I thought of that...most users don't have e-mail capable phones...hrmm...so what do we do instead?

22. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Personally, I rarely use text messages (about 3 this month). I either make a phone call or send email. The beauty of the iPhone is that there are so many ways to communicate. Sixty bucks for the lesson learned is not too bad. I recall stories about users who took their iPhones international and incurred thousands of dollars worth of roaming fees (before Apple had international partners and options).

Hopefully, though, if you sound ignorant enough on the phone -- or better yet inside an actual AT&T Mobility center -- and had a prior plan with reasonable expectation that the prior data fees were transferred, you'll be credited.

23. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

:eek:

If you spent only 20 seconds on each text message you spent 41 hours text messaging that month at the 7500 number.

Even at your lower number, that's 22 hours a month.

damn.

24. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You underestimate my ninja-like speed... :cool: