Sad story...please help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prxr13, Nov 14, 2013.

1. prxr13 macrumors newbie

I began working with an intern, from high school, this past summer. I upgraded her phone to ios7 before its release, and she was thrilled to have it. Tragically, she died in a car accident two weeks ago. Her mother has come to me for help, she cannot unlock her daughters phone because she does not know her password. She simply wants the pictures her daughter took off the phone.

Would iExplorer work on a locked phone? I simply do not want to risk putting her phone into restore mode. The mother disabled the phone by incorrectly guessing the passwords. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

advise the mother to take the phone with the receipt to apple. parental proof may be required but not sure.

there is no way to access a password-locked iphone otherwise.

if you are successful at restoring, it would delete everything, which would not serve the purpose.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Very sorry to hear that.

I know that 'Image Capture' on a Mac works while the phone is locked. I haven't tried Windows Explorer but I imagine it would be the same. It seems like the phone just represents itself as a camera, even while locked, so Windows should see it the same way.

4. Blackforge macrumors 6502

If she has access to any computers that her daughter may have "trusted" she may be able to just pull up the photos through File Explorer (in Windows) and drag them off or using iPhoto on a Mac. Just using the file system and no extra piece of software.

5. prxr13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I should clarify...iExplorer is an ios recovery app from macroplant. Says it can recover from any iphone on any ios. So will it work on a locked iphone?

Running a mac. Want to be sure about what I do as I don't want to be responsible for data loss from the process. Its like she is holding a treasure chest without the key.

But thank you, she never has synced her phone before as she did not have a computer, so, I would think those photos would still be on the camera roll!

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Ask if the mother knows her other passwords. Often people use the same number combinations in many passwords.

For example, if her gmail password is "stuff4678", her facebook password is "nkotb4678", and her twitter password is "4678iLUVjustin", then odds are her phone password is 4678.

I am speaking from experience; I was actually faced with a very similar situation recently when a close friend passed away and his parents needed help unlocking his phone.

Best of luck to you.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might try PhoneView on the Mac. It'll give limited access to the iPhone's file system. You can find the photos in the file system.

I am not sure if it works with a phone on iOS 7, but it did work with my iPhone 5 when I was stock on iOS 6. PhoneView runs on PowerPC Macs (which is why I used it), but I believe it's universal.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I really really doubt Apple would do anything about that.
    Parental proof or receipt doesn't matter. They don't remove or bypass passcodes.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I agree. This type of situation is unique and probably could not be handled at an Apple store.

If Apple is willing to do this at all (which I doubt), then she'd need to call them and insist on getting transferred until she reached someone with unusual technical access that might help--and they certainly wouldn't take the mother's word for it. I imagine she'd have to provide all kinds of documentation. In the end, it might not be worth it to recover a few photos.

We know Apple unlocks iPhones for the NSA so its certainly possible.

10. undesign, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

undesign macrumors regular

Memories of someone who passed away are priceless.

11. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Does the mother have access to the girl's computer? She may be able to access the photo stream, or sync the phone with the computer and access the photos that way.

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

yup because some random employees at apple will have access to her phone :rolleyes:

lol

13. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

As stated above by OP:

14. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

I'm very sorry to hear that.

To answer your question: have you tried using Image Capture on a mac? It never asks me for any type of passcode, albeit iTunes does.
    (Check that "Delete after import" is not turned on. By default it is off, but verify just to make sure.)

15. xmaseve macrumors regular

Sorry to say, but this sounds more like a, "I want to see what pictures my wife/girlfriend (or both ;)) have in their phone so I'll make up this story and see if it's possible." type post.

16. SchuettS macrumors 6502

How does it sound like that?

17. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Start with getting her email account info > Then you can get her appleID /icloud.com account info > See if it's in photostream. Also facebook has an auto upload feature so check her facebook and see if her pictures were going there.

Her email account is kinda the key to most access.

18. Dambuster43 macrumors member

It does seem like that...but I am confused about him knowing iExplorer but not ..so it seems ..actually trying it on the device.
    It could also be a case of....the interns husband/fiancé has the phone and is trying to find out who the bad guy is.... and panic is setting in!
    Or.........:)

19. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

This may sound incredibly stupid so I am sure I will be told so. However, as others pointed out maybe if story is true (which I believe it is) you could try emailing Tim Cook he has responded to lesser things to other people.

20. Troneas, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

since you took the time to reply to this thread with sarcasm and little else, i must conclude you have no idea how to be of any help to the OP.

but your response is not only useless, but unoriginal as well, since another user has already pointed out that it is not apple's common practice to unlock phones.

in any event, if i were desperate to access the phone of a deceased family member, i would find out what my options are with apple. whilst there is little they could do at the store, perhaps they offer more ideas than you did, although that wouldn't be difficult.

there is no way for a normal user to access the contents of a locked iphone without the password or, as others pointed out, without a PC that recognises the phone. if the mother is locked out of the PC or totally computer illiterate, she can either lament herself or go to apple.

21. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

scam ... this is bull. just some insecure, thief or perv trying to access someones phone

22. kendall69 macrumors regular

I agree 100% DO NOT help this thief. If he wants help then have him post a picture of his drivers license WO numbers and a land line phone number and work number with a electric bill with his name on it....THEN I WILL HELP

23. 1984world macrumors 6502

1984world

My iphone 5s is plugged into my windows vista computer right now and has the fingerprint/passcode enabled. I simply go to "my computer" then find my iphone as a device, double click on it, which brings up "Internal storage." I double click on that, and it brings up "DCIM." I double click on that, and my photos are all available. You can drag and drop them into another file/folder elsewhere. I just did it to test it and it worked.

As well, you can plug a passcoded iphone into another computer, and it should give a pop up that allows you to peruse the pics. This happens when i plug my phone into the computers at work.

Hopefully that helps.

24. SA Spyder macrumors regular