Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside macOS Ventura, iOS 16.1, and iPadOS 16.1, Apple has introduced Safari 16.1, which brings a number of new features to Safari on Apple's platforms. Safari 16.1 is built right in to iOS 16.1, iPadOS 16.1, and macOS Ventura, but it is also available on macOS Monterey and macOS Big Sur.

safari-icon-blue-banner.jpeg

The update includes Web Push for macOS Ventura, allowing websites and web apps to send notifications using the same standards as other browsers. Notifications can be delivered even when Safari isn't running, and managed in the Notifications Center.

Web Push functionality that has already been implemented for a web app or website will automatically work in Safari, and it uses the same Apple Push Notification service that powers native push on Apple devices.

With Safari 16.1, passkeys can be used on iPads and Macs running iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura, macOS Monterey, and macOS Big Sur in addition to devices running iOS 16. Passkeys are designed to replace passwords, and websites like PayPal are already implementing support.

For new iPad Pro models, Safari 16.1 adds support for hover with Apple Pencil, a feature that allows the iPad Pro's display to detect the Apple Pencil when it is up to 12mm away. In Safari 16.1, users will be able to see hover states for links, animations, and more.

Other new features in Safari 16.1 include new viewport sizes in iPadOS to support Stage Manager, screen capture improvements, and more, with full details available in Apple's WebKit blog post.

Article Link: Safari 16.1 Brings Support for Passkeys, Web Push, Apple Pencil Hover and More

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Hasn't Safari on MacOS supported web push for a long time now? It was iOS where it hasn't been supported, and Apple claims that's coming next year.
It's my understanding that MacOS's implementation was a custom Apple solution. It now uses the web standard version of push notifications that Chrome and Firefox have supported for years.

Reactions: 3um

staniforth

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
England
Hasn't Safari on MacOS supported web push for a long time now? It was iOS where it hasn't been supported, and Apple claims that's coming next year.
There is no longer a requirement to have an Apple developer account to implement it. Safari now supports the proper WebPush browser standard.

prwnr

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2020
anyone having a case with Safari duplicating tabs on moving them across different windows? instead of snapping them? When I move one tab to other window, it is now apparently mirrored instead of simply being moved. Changing the website on it in any window will change it on the other one too. annoying :/ and I cant seem to find a setting for it

Beautiful Opinion

Suspended
Sep 20, 2022
anyone having a case with Safari duplicating tabs on moving them across different windows? instead of snapping them? When I move one tab to other window, it is now apparently mirrored instead of simply being moved. Changing the website on it in any window will change it on the other one too. annoying :/ and I cant seem to find a setting for it
I've had that issue. I also had an issue where moving a tab to another window caused tabs to duplicate hugely each time I tried to close them. 0_o Crazy stuff. All you can do is be careful and quit and re-open Safari sometimes. Apple in 2022 eh?

Reactions: saltukkos and prwnr

eas

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2005
Hmm. I wonder if it will actually respond to keyboard shortcuts for File -> Share -> ... Nope, still broken.

That and the duplicated or annihilated tabs in 16.0 bugs that I've been bitten by.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I updated Monterey and Safari 16.1 and it fixed the moving a tab over to another Safari window issue.

Reactions: dredlew

jinnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2011
Push doesn’t do much for me.

Let me know when they implement pushback, which should deliver a “painful-but-harmless” electric shock to the executives of any organization that attempts to send me a push.

b&
That and maybe $1 goes to a charity for every PushBack

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Wake me when they finally implement PWAs. Not that it matters at this point. The only thing I have Chrome installed for. If everything is going electron anyway might as well just run Chrome as a bunch of PWAs.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I hope we can opt out of using PassKeys, I definitely do not want that feature

It's up to websites to support it. Nobody is cutting off support for traditional passwords (or Login With Apple) yet. The concept is sound but yes I would definitely give it time to get further fleshed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.