Safari 3 Beta sux!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zedsdead185, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Is it me or is safari 3 beta reeeeaaaallly slow. Some pages don't even fully load anymore.

Then again it could be to do with the fact that its only a beta :D . But still, I didn't expect it to be this bad

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Just so you know, some members here will interpret the following:

"Safari 3 Beta sux!"

as:

"Safari 3 Beta is teh suxx0rz! WINDOZE FTW!"

You might want to try a less immature approach if you are hoping to initiate an intelligent conversation here. And yes, it's BETA software, so expeciting top-notch performance when using it is probably a mistake.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've been using it on Windows for a week or so now, and I've been extremely happy with its performance, especially given that it's still in beta.

On what kind of machine are you running it?

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to confirm it , i believe that mac osx is far superior to windows, and if people do want to post some windows vs mac arguments (or anything with leet speak in for that matter :rolleyes: ) start a new thread, cos it ain't happenin here.

Anyway,
    I'm running it on my 20" 2.16ghz C2D iMac.

By the way, I should have explained it a bit better, but i knew it wouldn't be faster than before, but i didn't expect it to be THIS slower. I wasn't expecting 'top notch ' performance

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How? It is faster for a lot of people, including me...

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For me, it's at least as fast as Safari 2 was.

Did you have something like PithHelmet installed and now need to take time loading ads?

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't understand what you mean by "slower." Slower loading pages? Slower rendering pages? Slower starting up? Can you clarify? Perhaps an example or two?

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Works perfectly for me (I don't know if it's faster, but it's definitely just as fast as Safari 2).

(Although, since installing Safari 3, iChat is another story!)

9. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, i'm gettin a little worried now. Could it be something wrong with my mac? cos safari seriously is slower bigtime, on my machine at least. is there any utility i could use to speed it up other than 'reset safari' or 'disk utility'?:confused:

BTW, i haven't installed anythin new apart from safari 3 beta in months

10. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If it's really that bad, you could always just roll it back to Safari2 with the included uninstaller...

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I haven't noticed any slow downs. The only bump was with 3beta it would crash when clicking on pdf links in search engines like Google. The fix for that was to update Adobe pdf Reader to 8.1. It's all good, now.

12. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

<"Is it me or is safari 3 beta reeeeaaaallly slow. Some pages don't even fully load anymore">

I think it's you.. It runs great for me on 3 different machines..

13. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I find it mostly faster on both Windows and OS X.

How about using the Quote button rather than inventing your own way of doing this?

14. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Think It's Freaking Awesome

I couldn't love it more.

15. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

im having a problem displaying pages when a new window opens, it loads but doesnt display the page, thats my only complaint. I have to reload the page for it to show.
    If I open a new window, which should show my homepage, it doesnt show my homepage. Its not a preferences issue.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How much RAM have you got? (Apple Menu==>About this Mac) Safari 3 uses a lot.

Though I think that machine comes with at least 1GB so it shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise the issue is probably your ISP/Internet connection. Are you downloading other files at the same time?

17. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

How about not being so uptight..LOL.. It got the job done, so chill out.. I feel bad for you if something so trivial as that actually bothers you- I'll bet your a joy to be around.. hahaha..

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What about if DivX didn't crash the browser most of the time?

19. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

my Safari3 takes 2 full mins to load the first page. After that it's great. I rolled back

20. aspro macrumors 6502

I have found the Safari 3 Beta to run very nicely. I do think I can perceive speed improvements, but Safari was already quick on Intel anyway.

21. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok. Panic over. Turns out it wasn't safari or my mac but my isp, virgin media. For some reason, around the same time that i downloaded safari beta last week (coincidently :rolleyes: ), the virgin media lot decided that they would randomly degrade our internet speed from 4mb to 1mb :confused: . I know it don't sound too bad but when you have 3 computers constantly using the internet on a wireless connection in one house, then it really chokes it up. Anyway, problems sorted, I'm back to 4mb and i can finally see the full responsiveness that safari 3 has been credited for.:)
    Thanks for your help anyway guys.

22. NoRights macrumors newbie

NoRights

For some reason none of the text shows up when I load Safari in Windows XP. All the buttons are blank, nothing shows up in the bar to enter a URL, and none of the text on the site loads. All I'm getting are image files on Apple's site. :confused: I've uninstalled and resinstalled it a couple of times, still doesn't show up

23. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

DEFINITELY submit this as a bug to Apple, and include all the information about your system that you can muster--processor, version of Windows, any service packs installed, etc etc.

24. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

I see both good and bad things with the browser, but overall I enjoy using it and think it has a lot of potential. I am using Windows version.

Pros:
    Slick Interface
    Loads some pages screaming fast
    Great RSS management

Cons:
    Seems to take a long time starting the browser
    Some pages do not load up correctly (Macworld sometimes leaves a huge gap at the top with no text/images)
    High memory useage (120,644 K - Safari v. 44,648K - Firefox)
    Lack of extensions such as ad block

Over time, I think the cons will be eliminated as the browser gets closer to a final release.

25. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

Its definitely a lot faster for me on my dual 1.8 G5.. Sites with lots of Javascript in particular were the main reason I switched to Firefox - now Safari copes very well with them, and I'm back on safari after a year absence! :)

I love the safari beta!