Safari 3 sucks. :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spanky Deluxe, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

As much as I hate bad-mouthing Apple software, Safari 3 is simply ridiculously unstable. Safari 2 hardly ever crashed but since using the beta of Safari 3 and now the 'final version' of Safari 3 in Leopard its been crashing pretty regularly. I usually have quite a few windows kept up for later reference and lose everything each time it crashes.

I've already had to apologise to a couple of switchers that recently got MacBooks for Safari's instability.

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

yeah, i have the same problem.. i always have minimum 5 tabs open and after i always need to go to histpry and open all windows of the previous session..

3. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I've seen it happen too. Thats why I switched to Camino. It's fast and hasn't crashed on me yet.

4. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I like Camino, but for some reason (don't know why) i like safari a little more.. Camino looks very nice!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Perhaps I'm just lucky but haven't found Safari 3 any more crash prone than Safari 2.

The only Safari version that tends to crash on me is the mobile version on the Touch.

6. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

That almost never happens on my dads touch, once maybe..

7. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

My iPhone's safari does crash sometimes but not too often and when it does, it seems to remember the pages you were looking at anyway. This crashing in Leopard is just plain irritating though. I know I could use Camino, Firefox etc but I'm an old school guy and like to use IE on Windows and Safari on Mac because that's the way I feel its supposed to be. :p

Some of the other things in Safari 3 I absolutely love too, such as the new search function. Hopefully Apple will make some improvements in future Leopard updates. :)

Edit: One thing I've noticed to be particularly bad is having more than one pdf file open in Safari. Doing so just makes it grind to a slow stuttering halt. On a machine with four cores and four gb of ram. I often need to look at a *lot* of pdfs in Safari. :(

8. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I must be lucky too. I can't remember the last time Safari 3 crashed on me. I just tried Safari 3 with .pdf files on the smallest, slowest Leopard system I have.

I opened 5 .pdf files, various US Government forms, and it worked flawlessly.

Screenshot:

Intel 1.83 GHz C2D Mac Mini w 3GB Ram, Leopard and Safari 3

[​IMG]Click to enlarge

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

10. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I have the impression that safari 3 has session recovery? no?

how about camino?

12. 210 macrumors regular

Safari

Safari on my Mac works fine, but on Windows I'm having several problems. I still prefer it to Internet Explorer, though

13. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

There's an "Open in Preview" button that comes up when viewing PDFs in Safari... It's better than crashing.

---
    I haven't had stability problems with Safari. I don't use tabs very often though. I wonder if that is the instable part of it?

Whay say? Are there people with stability issues who don't use tabs, or people without stability problems that use them a lot? :confused:

Just trying to brainstorm a workaround...

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Alot of the issues I have with Safari seem to be aggrivated by Flash. After watching a number of flash movies - say on youtube or something, Safari invariably hang and I have to force quit.

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Can't say I get many problems with Safari 3 myself.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I can't remember Safari 3 crashing once. fast and stable, love it.

17. iLao macrumors member

iLao

I have Safari 3, usually 2 tabs open and has never crashed. I'm usung it for about three months.

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You know, thinkin about it, I think Safari has always handled PDFs poorly. I can remember Safari 2 being slow with PDFs.

19. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I have been running into a problem that is sort-of a Safari problem - was wondering if it sounds like anything you guys have seen. I have done some searches on apple site with no hits. I think it ends up really being a flash problem along with a TCP/IP stack problem.

So, from time-to-time, when I go to my companies web mail (we use M$ exchange), it suddenly becomes very slow to access. By slow I mean several minutes to bring up a single message. I tried to switch to Firefox, it had the very same problem. So I fired up my laptop running Windoze and it worked just fine. So then I rebooted the imac and it works just great again - snappy as ever. This problem usually would occur after my kids had been on imac surfing to whatever 13-year-olds like to look at.

Now today I had a repeat of the problem that I think may help me narrow down the culprit. I was at the rotten tomatoes web site and Safari went belly up, but as it did, it pointed the finger at the Flash driver. After I restarted Safari, the problem repeated. I checked and I have the latest release of the Shockwave Flash driver, so I have no new software to try out yet. Still the OS shouldn't let a program crash have lasting effects like that.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I've had the same problem since the QuickTime update during MacWorld. According to crash log it has something to do with Flash Player....:confused:

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Guess I've been lucky enough to not have any issues so far. Though, I have yet to have over 4-5 tabs open at once.

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I doubt many safari users have more tabs anyway, its not very friendly as far as "tabbed" is concerned.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In what way? I never had any colour features when I used tabs in FF as they were way too distracting and I feel that Safari is better than FF in its use of tabs (the same, but draggable to a new window).

I have had ~10 crashes since installing Leopard, but Inquisitor alone is enough to make me keep Camino only as a secondary browser for Hotmail.

24. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Safari has been fine on my computer, and I usually have two or three windows open with around 20 tabs each. Hasn't crashed once since the day I bought my Mac.

25. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I dabbled with other browsers for year, but always came back to Safari... until Safari 3. I had so many problems on all my computers that I took the plunge and switched to Firefox. Now I could never go back, I'm too used to addons that Safari doesn't offer.

I did use Safari yesterday, and it beachballed on me. I'm glad most people seem to be OK with it, though.