Safari 4 beta feedback please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hndn, Apr 14, 2009.

1. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Very few problems - perhaps the same or less than I would have experienced with v3.

Very Good: Very noticeable speed increase in page rendering.

Good: Top Sites - I'm starting to like it. It needs a bit better way to customize what's there, other than pinning ones which show up automatically.

Good: Coverflow History. Has some good possibilities. It needs some speed improvement in rendering older sites.

Not good at all (IMO): tabs on top of window. Very non-standard interface. I've set it back to the v3 method (tabs under tool/bookmark bar). There are some apps make this modification, but I just used the Terminal command.

So-so: The "clock" loading icon. I can see the idea of combining it with the reload and cancel load, but there's no progress (unless you have the status on at bottom of window, but that's not graphical). There's a way to set it back to the blue progress bar over the URL, but I've left it in the v4 style to see how I like it.

2. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

hhmm....I don't this already. I'll stick with v3 for now.
    Thanks much for quick response.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can always revert back to v3. The beta comes with an uninstaller.

To move the tabs back to (again, IMO) where they belong, open Terminal and enter the following:

Code:
     $ defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO
    (Some reference info here: Revert Safari 4 beta's tab bar)

Or, you can find one of the apps (don't know the names off hand, but check Versiontracker) which allow customization of v4 beta.

4. hndn thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, I wrote it down, might give it a try.
    Thanks.

Updated 4/15 running safari 4 now, my MB is only 2 weeks old, I can't really feel the different in performance :D

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Vastly superior to Safari 3 in terms of performance, rendering and overall useability. Well worth the upgrade imho.

Personally I don't mind the new tabs, but can understand why others dislike them. My only real beef with the interface is the moving of the 'refresh' button into the address bar. Bugs the hell outta me. lol