Safari 4 is terrible (for me)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Khryz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Ever since I downloaded the "full-release" version of Safari 4, it crashed and freezes after every 10 minutes of use, if that. I am constantly quitting it and then restarting it in order to not get the spinning beachball anymore. Only reason why I am still putting up with this BS is because I like how it syncs with my iPhone. Can't do that with FF.

Anyone else experiencing this? If not, what could be causing this?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If the Beta worked you could go back to that or just go back to Safari 3. But I'm using it fine...

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried resetting it from the Safari menu?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd revert back to Safari 3 if you can. The Safari 4 Beta and Final still feel shaky and it looks like it will take Snow Leopard to fix it.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well since you don't list what computer you're using or any other information it's going to be very difficult to help.

Safari 4 works flawlessly on my 13.3" Macbook Pro.

[edit] under Snow Leopard [/edit]

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Seems to be working just fine for me and many others

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Safari 4 suffers more often from plug-in hangs and disappearing without a crash report or anything written to the logs.

8. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

It works perfectly fine on the 08 MBP... I think im doing something wrong(right) it seems stuff never seems to be messing up as much as it does for other people

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have neither... plugins nor crashes ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

same here

11. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn, yeah if I could I would rather just go back to the Beta.

I'm on a 2.16 GHz C2D White Macbook, 3GB usable RAM.

I really don't know what it is but it sucks because I want to like Safari 4 a lot but I can't if it crashes every 10 minutes.

12. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I have a new MacBook Pro 13" without any mods or other software installed and Safari 4 is a dog. Constant beachball - and on a brand new machine. I have started using FF for many sites. :mad:

Come on Apple it is the only thing letting this computer down.

13. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay I Reset it from the Safari menu. Let's see how this works ...

14. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Before Safari 4, I've been using Firefox as my default browser in Windows and Safari in OS X. But Safari 4 convinced me to also use Firefox 3.5 exclusively in OS X. I've found incompatible websites that Safari wouldn't even display, it crashed a couple of times, but the real deal breaker is that Apple seemingly removed the 'save' button from the QuickTime plugin. (And I didn't bother to find a configuration setting to enable it again.)

So long, Safari. Firefox is now my standard browser on all platforms (Windows, Linux and OS X).

15. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I have a 2.5 GHz MPB with 2 GB RAM.

Each time I try to go to a new page, I get a "Loading" spinning gear at the right side of the address bar ever since I downloaded Safari 4. Some days my homepage won't even load. Some websites only give me a blank page when finished loading.

It is painfully slow for me. It happens at home as well as at work. Even the Apple store!

I have been meaning to go back to Safari 3, which gave me no problems.

Do you know what's causing it?

16. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

No probs for for me either. With a 08 imac 24".
    I'd suspect is some conflict with something else, some plug in or add in.

17. freesonwang macrumors member

Safari has crashed a few times for me, whereas, Firefox never did. I'm sticking with it for a while. (Aka, I'm in the same boat as you OP). What do your error messages in Console say? Mine say "bus error" which is a pretty general description. =/

18. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I'm experiencing the exact same problems as the thread starter, and the frequency described is also in alignment with my experience in Safari 4. Where could I download Safari 3 if I decide version 4 isn't right for my computer?

19. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Too bad you can't just use opera mobile on your iphone - opera 10 runs wonderfully on my mac.

is your mac ppc based? i think there might be a compatibility problem w/powerpc macs - i know it is pretty bad for me on my ibook

20. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I reset Safari and nothing has changed. Still freezes very often.

How do I get the beta back?

21. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You could always download a fresh install.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Send me a PM

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

safari and Firefox both keep crashing on me.
    i seem to notice that flash may be the culprit.

24. texazgal macrumors newbie

Yup. that's what I'm thinking. I have a 2003 iBook G4 running Tiger. I downloaded the Safari 4 download from the Software Update, and loved the features, but within a couple of weeks it started crashing constantly, every few minutes, even when it was just open but I wasn't even using it.

I have reported it to Apple numerous times, and tried all the fixes on this forum and the Apple discussion board: reset Safari, trashed the .plist file in the Library, repaired permissions, tried to find the "Input Manager" file (I don't have it); ran a virus scan, etc, etc. It still crashes.

I loved Safari 3, but Safari 4 is just useless to me. I have spent enough time on it. I closed it and am using Firefox 3.5 exclusively now (or until Apple comes up with a fix.) Sure I have plug-ins. My iBook is 5 1/2 years old. But Apple should have said Safari was not compatible with the ppc Macs, or any Mac that is not pristine in regard to plug-ins if that is the case. And they should at least fix it or provide an uninstall feature so we can go back easily to Safari 3.

I still love my Mac and will buy another one this fall to replace my beloved iBook, but my faith in Apple 's trustworthiness is shaken a little, and I sure have egg on my face with my PC friends over this Safari debacle.

25. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I keep going back and forth between FF and Safari 4, and its honestly the top sites feature of Safari that keeps me with it. I'm really stuck on the little star icons on the thumbnails that show when a page has been updated, and I have yet to find a FF extension that duplicates that (Fast Dial is the closest I've seen, but it doesn't have any indicator of updates).

The only thing that drives me nuts about Safari is how much RAM it takes up after a day or two of use. I checked it this morning and after two days it was using up over 500 MB! I've got 3GB of RAM, so it's not like I'm running out of memory, but 500 MB is way more than a browser should be using IMO.

Does anyone know a way to keep it from getting so memory hungry, or a FF extension that better duplicates Top Sites?