Safari 5.1 EXTREMELY BUGGY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diazj3, Jul 21, 2011.

1. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else?

Running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I just updated to Safari 5.1, and find it extremely buggy:

• Back/Forward navigation buttons don’t work
    • Toolbar customization doesn’t reflect changes when adding/removing buttons - they disappear and needs to relaunch to show changes.
    • Some plugins and extensions (e.g. TastyApps' WebSnapper and/or Videobox buttons, ClickToFlash) no longer work
    • does not allow me to open additional windows
    • does not allow me to empty caches and reset Safari

It has crashed for me 4 times in the past hour since I installed it, it becomes unresponsive, and needs to be relaunched every time.

So, I'll switch to Firefox/Chrome while they sort it out, or until I feel ok to upgrade to Lion - perhaps then Safari will work as good as usual. I wont upgrade to Lion until I have some time to test all my work apps.

Other experiences?

2. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Honestly I never cared for Safari in any version. I don't have the issues you have on OSX Lion but I prefer to use Chrome whenever possible.

3. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I am "missing a plug in" to view PDFs via a web site where I can view the PDF in Firefox.

4. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

Safari was and will be buggy. Do yourself a favour and switch to an other browser.

5. ohzonator macrumors newbie

Lion + Safari 5.1

Firstly, Lion is great, but ...

I cannot do anything in Safari 5.1 and it seems that the rest of the world can't either. I am constantly presented with a dialogue box asking me if I want to "Force Reload" all the tabs in all the windows in order to proceed with viewing the page I'm trying to look at, which I can't apparently because it's not loading --->>

seems like a circular trap that I can't get out of!

It's even buggered up the one and only plug-in I use "Sessions" so since Safari has already lost track of where I was before the Lion upgrade, I fear that I will never get back all my carefully chosen everything -->>

massively inconvenient is an understatement.

6. turbone macrumors newbie

Being a long-time OS X user, Safari 5.1 has been the most bug prone version ever. I hope there will be an update soon, I'm mostly using Firefox at the moment.

7. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hello

The latest Firefox is not to good in Lion either.

Try this one in Firefox under Lion - http://tip.it/runescape/

Then look at the same site under Lion with Safari.

8. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Agreed. Safari 5.1 is terrible so far :(.

When under Private Browsing mode, it sporadically still puts websites in your history. I've also run into issues where I am consistently signed out of services like Gmail after leaving the site.

There's been a few other small things too I can't remember. Please Apple, give us 5.1.1 soon.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

I guess I am the lucky one out. It works flawlessly for me... I am able to open PDF's, all toolbar buttons work. Even on my wife's mac, there are no problems. If it helps, and I doubt it would, I updated Safari after upgrading to Lion.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I updated Safari before downloading Lion. No problems. I only use Safari and never have problems.

Just lucky, I guess :D

11. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

FWIW.....still on SnowLeopard and all of the above still work fine on 5.1 there. No crashing as yet, either.

Sounds like yet another Lion problem.

....sT

12. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I'm not liking 5.1 either, the new cookies system is awful and doesn't block any at all.

There's a conflict with CMD + SHIFT + L which is normally "search text on google" but "show reading list" is CMD + L which overrides it.

Also new tabs don't open at the end of the row of tabs but next to the current tab like firefox, which is annoying.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I am in the same boat, 10.6.8 and just updated Safari recently through Software Update.

My AdBlock extension was acting up as a result of the "remove all website data" feature in the 'Reset Safari' option, so I uninstalled it and decided to deal with Ads.

I thought I remembered seeing an "empty the cache" option in 'Reset Safari' and if I am correct in saying that there used to be such an option, there isn't anymore.

Safari 5.1 keeps some portions of my History if I were to simply reset it, I now have to reset it and quit it.

It's pretty terrible, it makes me want to just use Chrome, but I really did enjoy Safari on my Mac.

14. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I thought I remembered seeing an "empty the cache" option in 'Reset Safari' and if I am correct in saying that there used to be such an option, there isn't anymore.

Empty Cache is there when you click on 'Safari' but it is one of the options in 'Reset Safari'.

I have the latest version of safari and SL and so far not problems at all :D

15. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

You need to be plug to view PDF via a web. Get a plug and you'll feel much better with all the PDFs

RF

16. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Safari 5.1 on 10.6.8 is just obnoxious right now. The browser windows will frequently flicker when I switch between windows and tabs, and I webpages hang several times a day. And of course, Safari doesn't handle process separation well--if one page crashes, it has to reload *all* of the pages I have open. Gah! I'm going to have to tinker and see if some add-on is misbehaving or something...

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, problems here too:

- One window stalling on JavaScript made it reload all other windows
    - Cookie management is dumbed down
    - Tabs don't open at the end

I reinstalled the 10.6.8 update which appears to have successfully rolled Safari back to 5.0.5. I'm happy again now :)

18. tongteh macrumors 6502

just voicing out that I am facing the same problem! extremely buggy release from apple's end. Just wish I didn't have to bear with this. Slow, Sluggish, and Sh**

19. alau0115 macrumors regular

Safari on Lion definitely has a few bugs to get sorted. Occasionally (more than one occurrence a day of 8 hours), the web page turns to a blank page despite you still see the URL. You have to manually press the reload button to reload the correct URL.

20. lucp4rt macrumors newbie

it is way too much buggy for a final release and an update should be released immediately. i think apple is already late for that. it should have been released few days back.

21. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Mac OS 10.6.8: I am having no problems, except for the spelling tool. If you click on Ignore, it refreshes the page instead. Very trouble some, because I am a bad speller. Other then that, all the pages come up fast, no crashes, no beach ball of death (I've never encounter that...YET) or memory leaks. The only plug in I'm using is Flash Beta 11. So that might be why I'm not having any trouble.

Mac OS 10.7.0: The only problem I have with it is when I'm reading threaded messages boards like this one and go back to the list. It doesn't refresh marking those that I already read like it does in 10.6.8. Other then that I have had no problems, memory problems or, crashes. The only plug in I'm using is Flash 11 Beta.

Hugh

22. sumone macrumors regular

+1

23. agiphone macrumors newbie

Same here. Really annoying! Any way to switch back to 5.0.x?

24. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

The 10.6.8 Combo updater contains Safari 5.0.5 (and corresponding version of WebKit), and it can be re-applied to an existing 10.6.8 system.

But if you don't delete the receipts that the Safari 5.1 updater left behind, Software Update won't detect updates until something newer than 5.1 is released.

25. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I've always found Safari to be a messy, crash prone browser and while trying to use the latest version in Lion to see how it was, my impression of it was confirmed once again as it again started crashing and presenting problems. The way the add-ons are integrated in to the browser is also a bit messy.

No thanks, back to Chrome and on the rare occasion, Firefox.