Safari 5.1 tab bar in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by canada eh, Jul 24, 2011.

1. canada eh macrumors regular

With safari 5 in Snow leopard there was an option to always show the tab bar, but with lion that option seems to be missing, does any one have a fix for this or is it there and am I just really stupid? it annoys me how it hides when only one tab is present.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

3. DYER macrumors 6502

Thank you very much for that! It was bugging me as well, feel much better now :D :)

4. old john macrumors member

Yes, thanks from me too . . . but how the heck did you find that out?? I often clean up clutter and organize my windows by dragging tabs from one window to another, which isn't possible if you want to drag a page from a window with no tab bar.

The workaround, of course, is to open a new page in the same window, giving both old and new pages tabs. Once the old page has been dragged elsewhere, I then need to delete the window that now contains an unwanted new page -- an obvious but inelegant solution.

It seems strange that Apple have made it so hard to find how always to show the tab bar, even with single window pages. Any ideas why it's not in the Tabs Preferences?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

shift-Command-t is just the keyboard shortcut for the toggle command found in the View Menu. So it's not hard to find if you know where to look. That is, placing it in the View Menu is no more hidden than if it were in the Tabs Preferences. In fact, quite the opposite could be argued.

It is disabled if there is more than one Tab open.

I'm using Safari 5.0.6, YMMV.

6. old john macrumors member

Thanks. Yes, it's still there in Safari 5.1.2 . . .So the mystery becomes why I missed finding it there. I suppose seeing the Tabs tab under Preferences I got fixated that it would be there if anywhere, although I am quite used to finding the Show and Hide items in the view menu!