Safari 5 is slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SESpy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. greenmeanie macrumors 65816

greenmeanie

Mine is slower too.
    Seems like load times take much longer.

2. SESpy thread starter macrumors regular

SESpy

Well I seem to have no problems of this kind anymore.
    Since i did the update, Safari 5 seems so much faster and The Reader is such a handy feature. It might change the way we experience web, really :)
    For those who still have speed problems on safari 5, do the software update ASAP :)

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Remove any plugins you don't need like google earth plugin.

4. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

For those who think that v5 is "noticeably slower" by being 50ms slower than v4 need to walk away from your computers and get lives.

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

and for those who make comments like this...grow up.

Can't speak for others, but for me, it's minutes if not "page not found".

If there was humor intended here, sorry I missed it.

mg

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to disable / remove / update your plugins. Some are not made for Safari 5.

7. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

is there an easy way to do this? I've reviewed the plugins on mine, updated what I could find, but see no way to disable them, short of figuring out where the file is and deleting it.

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Something else is going on. I would guess that the DNS prefetching feature is backfiring on some routers or DNS servers.

This is where Apple(and its users) learn again why large public betas are a Good Thing.

9. justmyopinion macrumors newbie

This will solve the problems of Safari running slow and hanging. I did this about an hour ago and Safari is moving right along at a good clip like it used to before I upgraded to 5.

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon
    Some of you are having the same problems I had. I could load no more than 2 pages without having to restart my router. Things loaded very slowly and then just stopped. I tried uninstalling programs and nothing changed.

What worked and worked completely is going to system preferences>Network>Advanced>DNS>+ and adding in these two numbers under DNS Servers:

Make sure you click apply afterwards

You may have to restart your computer or router, but maybe not. These numbers should work for everybody

10. fonny macrumors newbie

fonny

adding the dns numbers did the job for me

had same probs. loading a page took forever and if it was loaded it was not complete
    now it's jet-fast

11. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

What does this do? Why does it work? And what should deter me from doing it if I haven't had any major problems?

12. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I upgraded to 1.6.4 and Safari 5 last night.

Safari is now plagued with the spinning beach ball, every time I try to access a different site. :(

And I hate the recent websites view. I had this problem on Safari 4 as well. The "Safari Preview Fetcher" goes out of control, using 100% CPU usage, requiring a force quit. So I don't use the Recent Website Preview window.

13. SESpy thread starter macrumors regular

SESpy

ok, mr. " You have no Constitutional right NOT to be offended."
    this is nothing personal but if you can't help, don't post non-sense.
    I thought it's just me with all this safari 5 being slow thing but there are quite a lot of people. I thought it's my Macbook but installed it on a Mac Pro... Still was slower than safari 4.

@ consultant, I actually don't have any plugin that do NOT work with safari 5. I made sure of that when I opened this thread :)

14. SurferMan macrumors 65816

had already tried that, didn't work, safari crashed 2 times this morning. Been on Chrome all day, I'll forget and start safari when i turn it on and do some work browsing.... untill its spinning beachball time again :rolleyes:

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

It's been fantastic for me on 10.5.8. Fast, snappy...and I find myself using the Reader a LOT. Super cool feature.

I run Click2Flash and Glimmerblocker with no apparent issues.

16. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It is bad for download performance not to use your ISPs local DNS servers.

When you use foreign DNS servers, many websites will mis-identify your location, and send you to farther away places to download the website, rather than the local, faster location.

For example, your Software Updates from Apple, which go through Akamai, who will send you to a slower, more distant server for the download.

In addition, as the switch to IPv6 begins, sites such as Google/YouTube will not enable you for IPv6 because you aren't using your ISPs DNS server, which they use to decide whether to give you an IPv6 website address, or just the IPv4 address.

17. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

at least for me for now, this change has made a night and day difference for any sites I frequent from my wireless router. While we shouldn't have to do this, thank you for the solution!

Mark

18. David G. macrumors 65816

Safari 5 is defintely faster that Safari 4 for me but it does crash about 3 times a day, 4 never ever did.

19. Lola M macrumors member

justmyopinion, Thank you!
    I tried emptying my cache and resetting Safari as well as playing with security. Your solution seems to work. Safari 5 hasnt stalled nor crushed all evening.

20. SurferMan macrumors 65816

doesn't make any sense why is it working for some people and not others? putting that in for dns didn't make a difference, still slow and crashes :confused:

21. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Some people are having DNS problems due to their router/DNS server. Sometimes, switching to a manually assigned DNS server will work around the problem, other times, the router still screws it up.

Other people aren't having DNS issues, but some other Safari 5 problem.

And, as I have suggested before, if you have a big /etc/hosts file, you also will see slow performance.

22. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I get that too. Just with ONE certain site... someone’s Mobile Me page as it happens.

It’s definitely a Safari 5 issue. Safari 4, Chrome and Firefox are all still fine.

But luckily I’ve only seen it with that one site. So far.

23. mac2x macrumors 65816

It's already been stated above...DNS problems from your router, 3rd party plugins that need updating by the dev...

24. soms macrumors 6502

soms

As far as saving tabs, S5 is faster. But in terms of crashing/gifs/flash, S5 is MUCH MUCH worse. I'm not having as many crashes today after doing the combo-update over the regular 10.6.4 update. But damn, the first day or two after 10.6.4 I was crashing literally every 2-3 minutes.

25. alienapp macrumors member

i've noticed that by removing all the 3rd party plugins from safari 5 including SIMBL causes significant speed boost. I guess safari and 3rd party plugins just dont mix.