Safari 5 is slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SESpy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I never installed any pluggins? My pc's on the same network at home work very fast and smooth as usual, Safari hasn't crashed in the last day or so but it def has a lag to it vs the PC's on the same wireless network. Chrome works fine, no real difference from my pc's running chrome, so not sure what you mean by a dns issue from my router?

2. RON SCHELHOUSE macrumors newbie

Macron

I changed my DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4 and my speed picked up no hangs
    or crashes. i did this on June 13th. I also turned Dev. off and disabled
    extensions. Everything is running fine no problems!!

3. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Here is my plugin list. ebldetect.bundle
    Flash Player.plugin
    flashplayer.xpt
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
    iPhotoPhotocast.plugin
    JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin
    JavaPluginCocoa.bundle
    NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave
    npdivx.xpt
    nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    Quartz Composer.webplugin
    QuickTime Plugin.plugin
    Silverlight.plugin

4. alienapp macrumors member

You could try uninstalling Flip4Mac and Silverlight if you don't really need it.

5. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

The last DNS server entry should be 8.8.4.4 according to Google's Public DNS page.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Bad advice. There is nothing the least bit unusual or dangerous in Michaelgtrusa's list of Internet Plugins. Curious that his post is just a list without any statement of a problem or a question. My only suggestion for him to make sure that everything is up to date.

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

All of the plugins that I didn't need have already been removed. The list I provided are not problem plugins to my knowledge.

8. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I also am experiencing a much slower Safari.. hence how I came across this thread. I skimmed and saw something about plugins being the issue? I don't know if I buy that and/or how I'd fix that... I'm gonna send something to Apple. On a side note, my iTunes was using 99% CPU yesterday... things were fine before all these updates....

9. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Safari 5 is so Laggy, I really wish I'd never installed it!
    Can anyone direct me to a download of a previous version, please?

10. jovanboi macrumors member

Safari 5 seems slower than 4.0.5 for me, but I *may* have found a temporary solution.

I repaired my disk permissions (a suggestion from another board) and after, cleared my cookies and switched to Private Browsing. I don't think it has to work in exactly this order, but these things have stopped the constant hanging. Pages seem to load much snappier.

11. khooke macrumors newbie

I'm seeing slowdowns not just on my MBP running 10.6.4 and Safari 5, but also on any computer on my WiFi network.... only when I'm running Safari 5.

If I run Chrome or Firefox I dont see any network slowdowns. As soon as I start Safari 5, every computer on my network starts getting extremely long (several seconds) DNS lookups - if you try and go to any website you get several seconds pause and then suddenly it loads quick as it should do on my broadband.

I've run Wireshark on my network and when I start Safari 5 I start getting several 'Standard Query SOA local' DNS lookups a second. These don't always start as soon as I open Safari, but as soon as they start this is when my response times drop, presumably because my Mac is flooding my ISPs DNS servers with these bogus queries - it issues several a second continually until I restart Airport. Once they start closing Safari doesn't make them stop, but if I stop Airport and restart it, they won't start again until I start Safari again then they start again.

Safari 5 for me is unusable on my network. I've read elsewhere that some routers are not supporting Safari 5's DNS prefetching correctly and this is what is causing the slowdown issues. I've posted this on Apple's discussion site and on other forums and logged it as a bug from Safari so hopefully Apple will look at this issue soon.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Update? This may be the cause of the "can't find server" issue.

13. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

For sure it is slower than Safari 4. I have switched to chrome for a long time. And Safari use more ram and CPU, yes, it has more functions, the reader is good, but we really need the speed all the time.

14. Aidenson macrumors newbie

Safari 5 update

When I had installed the latest update for safari 5 I had noticed it was running at a substantially slower speed than prior to the download! I had tried everything and had no idea how to fix it, and after contacting everyone from my internet provider to tech support I contacted Mac to see if they could help at last! And to my amazement it was actually a flaw with the patch itself! Mac had informed me that many user's have experienced a massive drop in browser speed. Their fix was simple, reinstall your startup disc and reset safari, and DO NOT install the safari update! It now runs very fast and very smooth! Enjoy! APPLE FOR LIFE!!

15. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I contacted iPad and it categorically denies this.

17. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

It's Rubbish, Apple need to sort it out, BIG TIME!

18. Aidenson macrumors newbie

this wasnt for ipad it was for my imac. this is what apple tech suport told me, word for word!

19. jon08 macrumors 68000

One question: are we taking any (exploitation and such) risks with switching to different DNS Servers? Like, I'm currently using the 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 one to avoid Safari hang-ups...

20. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

It's STILL so ridiculously slow and laggy. I'm so sick and tired of these browsers becoming buggy like this. I was a long time user of Firefox, which went the same way. I switched to Safari and now I think I'm going to have to import back to firefox.

Useless. THis has been going on for months now with Safari 5. It's rubbish. Why did they let it go out like this?

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you have the same problem--which most users don't have--with two unrelated browsers, then perhaps the problem is unique to your setup.

22. Roller macrumors 68020

Safari 5 is fast enough on my 2009 iMac (10.7.1). But some sites that used to work (e.g., Compass Bank's online banking site) now don't. They work properly with Firefox 6, so I switched. I actually prefer Safari's interface, but not at the expense of non-functional web sites.

23. Yr Blues, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Agrees with OP.

Pages reload randomly. Videos are crawlingly slow. Forums struggle to load all of the images.

But everything is super fast in Chrome, which is just about the only thing I like about Chrome.

I hate having to use another browser, but Safari just plain sucks.

I only have the adblock extension loaded onto a brand new OS X with no other apps, completely stock.

just did the DNS fix and it worked. make sure you restart Safari after the change. thanks! wtf, Apple?

24. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Safari has a annoynig problem that sometimes when clicking links in the toolbar or trying to close windows, it doens do anything (ignores your click) and ou have to click elsewhere, and then re-click.
    This is a very bad bug, they should fix it. (have seen this in 2 machines) so is not a local issue.