Safari and Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LouieSamman, May 5, 2010.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Both are my favorite browsers.

It seems Google Chrome is way ahead of Safari nowadays.

Google Chrome updated their browser recently with much faster speeds.

They also have free bookmark,setting, and theme syncing to your google account that way say if you get a new laptop or mac you can just sign in from google chrome and get all your bookmarks, settings, and theme all back.

Safari has this with bookmarks but you need MobileMe which is a payed service which I use but Google Chrome is really pushing through browser stability and speed and I'm loving it!

I'm hoping the Safari team would push it and release a huge update release.

I hate how Safari opens in a new windows when clicking a link. Google Chrome always opens tabs.

I hate how Safari Plays out with Youtube. Google Chrome play youtube videos much faster and snappier.

We'll have to see what Safari will bring in it's major update.

Safari 5!

2. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

I agree with you completely. I was a long time Safari user that has switched to Chrome. I dabbled with Opera for a while, but it's just not compatible enough with many common websites. As for Safari- it just lacks so many of the features that Chrome has. There is no customization available directly from Apple. Where is the Safari App Store? What the heck is with all the windows that open unless you use the command key? Apple needs to come back with a MASSIVELY enhanced version of Safari to have any hope of staying relevant. I'd love to see a competitive, modern version of Safari come out.

3. neeny macrumors newbie

Thanks for this post am now using google chrome and am loving it over safari

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

You can see the latest speed of Safari by downloading Webkit nightly. It's already much faster than the current Safari 4.

The thing about Apple is that they don't believe in customization, so don't expect to ever see any additional customization features from Apple in Safari.

Safari 5 should be coming out by WWDC as Steve Jobs mentioned "soon" to somebody talking about full HTML5 support for Safari. Makes sense to see Safari 5 this WWDC if Apple wants to push HTML5 further with their developers.

Even if Safari 5's JS speed is same or faster than Chrome's JS engine, I still rather use Chrome for the extensions.

5. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Glad you agree.

When it comes to customization I don't think apple will be doing that anytime soon as they like to have one look for all with its browser.

Tab browsing is something I always use and safari needs top tabs because it minimizes the bar space and reduces the amount of it showing the title, what I mean by that is how safari shows the title of the page on it's tab and on the top bar of the safari browser.

But you do have to understand that google is more of an online company where's apple makes devices and electronics AND an operating system.

Google can advance faster because they don't make as much electronics and can focus on one thing such as google chrome which is why google chrome speed is beyond all browsers now.

I believe safari can keep up and go beyond but they need more time and then we will be wowed.

6. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Don't be too hooked to chrome as soon I believe Apple will be coming out with a major safari update on WWDC that's coming soon.

We might get a big surprise on something new and a great speed improvement that could possible beat google chrome. Finally have top tabs and no more links opening up a new safari window and just open up in a new tab. Who knows.

I believe safari 5 will amaze us all.

7. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I'm glad Safari 5 might come out in WWDC.

I've been waiting on a major update to safari. Apple takes their times with things such as with multitasking for the iphone software but as you can see they finally have it coming and they made it better than all the competition. With taking there time they make it better than everyone else. They knew it would reduce battery life so they found a way around that by taking their time. Now that google chrome is far ahead of speed and stability I believe Apple is ready to put a major update to Safari that will blow away google chrome.

Apple is always late but does it right when it comes out.

Can't wait for Safari 5.

8. jmj macrumors member

Just bring back the blue progress bar, Apple.

Also: is Chrome really faster than Safari? All the speed tests I've seen have Safari out in front, but it's been a while.

I've used Firefox since Safari 4 was released. Chrome has yet to impress me on OS X.

9. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The blue progress bar is not going to be needed because soon the browser would be fast enough to a point that you don't need to look at the progress.

This is why apple removed that.

And with Safari 5 on they way the progress bar won't be needed even more because the new Safari will be faster.

Chrome came out with an update recently so check it out. With the sunspider JavaScript test it beats Safari by a lot.

Google chrome released 5.0 now and it's so much faster.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Safari has the advantage of being 64-bit (this is a security advantage) while Chrome has the security advantage of a separate process per window. My vote goes to the first browser that is both 64-bit and, runs each window in a separate process.

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

Lookup at WebKit2, it's an open source project that Apple just worked on and released to the webkit project a few weeks ago.

12. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Is it up for download? link please.

13. tomozj macrumors newbie

Didn't run in Safari when it was first announced. Possible to test it in a separate application for testing purposes only. Hopefully in Safari 5!

I'd like it as much as the next guy. :p

14. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Safari = Pinwheel, Pinwheel, and more Pinwheel

Safari for me has been pinwheeling constantly as of late. Safari is soooo slooooow when first opening, then takes ages loading my homepage, opening a new tab, and then when closing the app, all with pinwheels. It will sometimes sit there and pinwheel...I have no unusual plugins installed and simply the latest flash plugin. I've reset Safari numerous times and has simply become unusable.

...So I figured I'd try Chrome and have to say that is way snappier than Safari at this point. Chrome opens up fast and immediately loads my homepage. Nice!!! Apple...this is your wake up call.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

Mmm

all my links in safari open in a new tab:0

16. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Care to tell me how unless you used a coding in safari which ive done before.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To force new windows to open in tabs in Safari, in Terminal.app, type:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

18. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I don't like messing with the codes to do that. It should be done by default. I won't mind the opening a new window because im going to be using google chrome for now since it's faster than safari at the moment.

I'm going to wait for safari 5 and see what apple bring.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Whatever floats your boat. The fact remains, you can have Safari open in tabs, rather than windows. If Chrome works better for you, use it. I tried it and didn't like that I had to give up so much functionality that I use constantly. I didn't find it any faster than Safari. YMMV.

20. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Just to let you know, I've done that code before and worked perfectly but that's not the only main reason I'm switching to google chrome.

Google chrome release a new version 5.0 and it's so much faster with YouTube video loading time, browsing the web, and so much snappier. Plus I love the top tabs.

I believe things will change once apple release a 5.0 of safari, then I will switch back. Safari is fast but not as fast or snappy as google chrome. I don't use any extensions or care for a certain functionality. I'm more about the browser speed, stability, and tabs.

I imagine something that would be cool for safari which is to have the same look of QuickTime X where the bars hide giving this seamless window, also removing the scroll bar and have it only appear when you mouse over but it would have the look of the mobile safari on the iPhone.

Just something like that would have me using the browser because of how different the browser would be from the rest with this seamless window.

Just a thought on safari 5.

21. MikhailT macrumors 601

A simple google would suffice, here's the link.

22. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It's in settings... Just cmd+click a link, and it opens in a new tab.

23. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Chrome better than Safari?
    Try to search for some site in your History using Chrome.
    The history menu of Chrome sucks a lot. It's ridiculous and there's not even a sort option.
    In Safari, use the "Show All History" menu and you'll see that you can find sites just by typing some word that is contained in that site.
    Any word related to title or content of a website is recorded in the History of Safari.

The only other browser that can do it is Opera.

DON'T, I REPEAT, DON'T measure the quality of a web browser just by it's speed.
    Google Chorme may be the fastest browser in the planet, but surely it isn't the most feature complete one.

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

Considering Chrome is still in beta and under intense development, of course it's not the most feature complete one.

Guess what? A lot of people still like it, even if it is the most incomplete browser.

Also Google is going with history API to let developers to come up with a better system for everybody

Here's an example,
    https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/cahejgbbfgmlmjgdjlibphdjeldhagkp?hl=en

Good luck trying to get a customized history manager for Safari, or even any extension working without each update breaking it.

25. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

my vote is for the chrome. a friend was using it a few weeks ago, then i finally decided to try it out last week and haven't gone back. i like that each tab/window is a separate process, meaning that if something crashes you can just close that tab/window and not the whole chrome. very nice