Safari Being Hijacked (congratulations! Pop up)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ahostmadsen, Apr 8, 2019.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

These days, it often happens that while I'm reading something in Safari, the webpage suddenly changes to a spam page with "Congratulations! You have won..." I don't even have to click anything, it can happen in the middle of reading. It happens while I'm reading news, mostly it happens on CNN, but also while on other webpages. It only happens on my iPad, not on my Mac or iPhone.

Now, if it happened on my Mac, I would suspect a virus. But that shouldn't happen in iOS, right?

2. trsblader, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019

trsblader macrumors 6502

It's not a virus, it's javascript someone found a way to run maliciously on those sites, commonly through the advertising scripts. Happens even on this site from time to time. It doesn't happen on your mac or iPhone because 1) You have javascript disabled 2) You didn't hit a site/article that was affected or 3) You have an add blocker installed. It has nothing to do with the OS being used.

If it's happening on a major site, report it to their staff as most have a general support forum or email. If it's happening on a shady website -- stop visiting that site. If it's happening often, I'd probably be more weary of the sites I'm using personally.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, but one would hope for a better solution.

4. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is somewhat comforting, that it's not because the security of my device is broken. It used to happen all the time on one website (theguardian.com), but it stopped. Now it happens all the time on cnn.com. Presumably cnn will notice and fix their security.

5. Fenhalls macrumors 6502

Many thanks for that. Very useful information.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2019 ---
    Me also.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No affiliation with the company, but 1Blocker X has really cut down on that kind of thing for me. I’m sure others would do the same.

7. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

This^^^^^. Get an ad blocker for iOS and MacOS.

On Mac, using Ghostery. On iOS, AdGuard.

8. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

The worst was when ads would take over and switch you to the app store on the page for some terrible game. I don't miss that at all.

9. BruntWillows macrumors newbie

I've had that too, wish it wouldn't (or would at least ask if you want to open it!) Even worse when you manage to close the App Store, and your page won't reload

10. Kenny99 macrumors newbie

Kenny99

I too have been having these. My solution is to block the sites in my router. You can get the spam website address from safari and block it in the routers url section. Meh be under security section.

11. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

I’ve seen some sites become unusable due to those stupid pop-ups.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Adguard should solve your problem.

13. Kenny99 macrumors newbie

Kenny99

I saw a post that suggested to turn off Java on iPads.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A lot of the websites won’t work right without it,

15. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

iOS runs neither Java nor Flash. Just install AdGuard on all your iOS devices and be worry free.

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I ran into this recently on my iPhone. Apparently there’s a way it gets injected in your history. I didn’t think that was possible, but that’s what I read when looking for the solution.

Deleting safari history is said to fix it. I did this and it fixed it for me.

arn

17. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I will try this. I'm not that keen on installing adblockers, so hopefully that will work.

18. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

To be clear, this is going to settings -> safari -> clear history and website data

This will clear cookies and log you out of sites. But minor inconvenience.

arn

19. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

Clearing Safari history is just a temporary fix, the hijack will come back.

Yeah, pretty sure he meant JavaScript. I normally wouldn't install an adblocker, but this was getting ridiculous. Put AdGuard (pro version) on my iPad + iPhone, and so far no more hijacks.

20. NewToIPhones macrumors newbie

This is happening on my iPhone as well. Multiple websites, and repeatedly. Why would it be a malicious JavaScript on pages I read all the time and never had this happen before.

21. trsblader macrumors 6502

Just because you visited a page once doesn't mean a hacker will never attempt to compromise it. Would be nice if that's how the world worked though. If you type in "malicious javascript ads" to google one of the first hits is how "Tip Tier Sites" recently (at the time of the article) became targets for the first time and the images in those articles are identical to what the OP was talking about. There's also many posts from security researches talking about how this stuff works if you're interested.

That doesn't mean this is the only way. Within the past 2 years it's an extremely common way, and you can even do a forum search here on macrumors and find that this site has been attacked multiple times in the past few years.

22. NewToIPhones macrumors newbie

I really don’t understand the tech stuff. I just know it’s happening on websites I visit frequently (and never had this problem before 3 days ago) and pages I visit infrequently. It started suddenly and it happens over and over now.

Any idea on how to get it to quit?

23. trsblader macrumors 6502

Stop visiting the websites or try one of the adblockers suggested in this thread. The adblockers may or may not work now or in the future

24. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

You can go into Settings in iOS for Safari->Advanced and turn off JavaScript. Of course turning this off will break a lot of websites.

Alternately, an app like AdGuard Pro ($2) has stopped the hijacks for me - so far!