safari + clicktoflash = weird acting youtube

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Longey Nowze, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Longey Nowze macrumors regular

everything is ok up until the video starts loading then when I mouse over the related videos their icons jump to the left.

anyone experienced this? I have ClicktoFash ver 1.6b7 and the latest safari and snow leopard.

Thanks in advance
    MaT

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't had any such problems since ClicktoFlash 1.6b7. I'm on 1.6b8 now and still no such problems.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No problems here either.

Edit: However, I have 1.5.3?? I clicked for updates and it said I had the newest update.

Edit 2: Ah, looks like you guys are using betas. 1.5.3 is the latest stable version.

BTW, great program. I highly recommend it to anyone that doesn't have it.

4. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

strange... what might be causing the problem then? anyone know how i can troubleshoot it?

when I removed C2F everything was fine, 1.5.3 kept giving me an "update flash" notice every time i went on youtube, is it working fine for you?

how did you get 1.6b8?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

1.5.3 works fine. The latest beta is 1.6b5, however he got 1.6b8 from his link.

6. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

strange... i kept getting a an error with youtube that tells me i need to upgrade my flash when i had 1.5.3 I read here that i needed to get the beta to fix it, which did but it broke something else.

I don't have much installed here, I have perian and flip4mac installed and that's it.

I deleted the beta version I had of ClickToFlash and downloaded the stable release 1.5.4 and I am still having the same problem :confused: I am gonna try removing it restart my computer, install it again and see what happens.

This happened when youtube changed their layout could that have something do it? could it be something else?! this really annoying!

Ok... I used the guest account installed ClickToFlash and everything was working fine! I went back to my account opened safari preferences under security clicked the "show cookies" button searched for "youtube" deleted all the cookies and while i was at it I searched for "google" and deleted those too, and now everything works fine. I don't think the google cookies had anything to do with it though.

Maybe joining and leaving their html5 beta 10s of times broke the cookie, if you look at the picture I uploaded youtube looks so different there, now it looks nice :)

anyway thanks everyone for you help :)
    MaT

7. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I have the same kind of problem plus one extra one.

Not all the time but sometimes if a video is in a 4:3 aspect (or other more square aspect) when the video starts playing the video area gets really tall but extends UNDER the test and other elements on the webpage.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of ClicktoFlash are you using?

9. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I was having problems with ClickToFlash and YouTube as well and simply uninstalled it and joined the HTML5 beta.

10. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

...the b8.

11. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

the problem is back

I don't know what happened but it's back :confused:

I am running version 1.5.4

It gave me some trouble, it kept asking me to update to b8 I believe, I kept pressing "remind me later" and "skip this version" but it kept popping up till i restarted after install software updates from Apple.

anyone had any luck?

12. jmj macrumors member

Do you also use Glimmerblocker? I was having YouTube issues with Glimmerblock + ClickToFlash both enabled. Once I disabled Glimmerblocker the issue went away.

1.6b8 works fine for me.

13. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I do not use Glimmerblocker but I do use an Adblocker. I can't remember which one but it's not the one that makes you run Safari in 32-bit. It's the one that uses the SIMBL 64-bit engine to run in 64-bit.

14. psxguru macrumors 6502a

yep it's very annoying!

15. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

this is getting pretty annoying... I just updated to b7 and still the same thing... this is getting very annoying...

16. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

A couple of months ago I started using Clicktoflash and immediately fell in love with it. It's such an awesome app, despite its' minor bugs. However, I have since stopped using it. Not because I have anything bad to say about the product, but because I've begun to realize more and more how important ads are for web sites. Yeah, flash is annoying and a cpu hog. But Honestly, on a modern machine, it doesn't do that much damage to battery life or CPU usage. I still have it installed, just in case, but leave it off. As you can image, I've also stopped using any form of adblock as well. I want the sites I love to stick around, so any extra support that I can give I'll help out with (straight donations aside).

I'm not trying to make all of you feel bad for using clicktoflash or anything like that; just trying to make a point.

17. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

I don't use adblock, but I dislike flash adverts they are annoying and intrusive not to mention resource hungry, I don't mind animated GIFs or the like.
    Looking at from another point of you think of someone with ADHD those ads will be annoying as hell.
    I do agree that we need to support these website, but they can find a less annoying way of doing it, I find myself avoiding those sites rather than going back to them.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm having the same issue, but I do not have ClickToFlash. I'm running a pretty basic Safari 4.0.5 on OS 10.6.3, and the related videos jump to the left as soon as I mouse over them.

A friend with OS 10.5 and Safari 3 told me that he was having problems, and although he didn't go into specifics I expect that it's the same issue.

19. Longey Nowze thread starter macrumors regular

so this may not be a ClickToFlash problem? interesting... are you loading the flash videos or HTML5 videos?

P.S. has anyone got this message from youtube?
    It's weird because I have a somewhat fastish connection it's about 8Mbps and videos usually load instantaneously, is youtube trying to load HD videos?

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The problem has now fixed itself for me, on both computers. I think it was a YouTube/Safari compatibility issue. I'm using the HTML 5 version.

Edit: Cancel that, it's back :(

21. weckart macrumors 68040

I am having the same problem on all of my machines. It seems to be a YT/Safari mismatch after the redesign from what I can see googling around. YT should have tested better before unleashing this rubbish rejig.

22. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

I had the same problem as well. I just unchecked "Load H.264 videos from Youtube" in the Click to Flash preferences, and everything displays correctly now. It kinda sucks that I can't play H.264 now though. Hopefully an update will correct this in the future.

23. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Same problems on both my Macs running Safari, and I dont use Click2Flash.

Driving me nuts. I use HTML5, and am about to switch back to see if it make a difference.

Stu

EDIT: OK, so its not HTML5 - I can 100% reproduce this though. Do a search for say CS5 Photoshop and then when the list of search results appear choose one to watch. Notice the ribbon strip on the right hand side? Move your mouse cursor over there - bingo, the video thumbnails jump to the left and the text stays on the right. Its a YouTube coding issue, probably with a MouseOver event.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of ClickToFlash are you using, and where do you see that option? The only similar option I see is choosing QuickTime as the player.
    Picture 2.jpg
    I don't think it's a coding issue with the YouTube site. I exactly reproduced your steps, using both Flash and HTML5. Mouseovers did nothing to the page, other than highlight the text and show the drop-down arrow on the thumbnail.
    Picture 1.jpg