Safari crashes A LOT on Snow Leopard.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boesky, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

I thought they were supposed to be fine-tuning this program? What happened?

2. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

I've had one Safari crash since switching to Snow Leopard. Maybe it's just you.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you know what is causing the crashes? It's pretty bad under Snow Leopard.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, if you provide more information such and what kind of sites it happens at or provide your safari version or if you have any plugins, and look if there are any console messages after the crash or a crash log to look at and then maybe we can help you. Or perhaps you just want to whine.

Console: /Applications/Utilities/
    Crash Logs: ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/

I've had no issues yet.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I've actually found Safari more stable in SL. As was said before, send your crash logs to Apple. Also do you have any input manager plugins that causing this?

6. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I'd certainly be happy to take a look at any crashlogs. I may or may not remember this thread exists later though; I'll try to check on it.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Safari under Snow Leopard would be nothing but Crash Reporter for me. :eek:

I can't use any browser for that matter under Snow Leopard.

8. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

flash was troublesome for me in safari and hulu desktop until i repaired permissions. maybe that's what's making safari crash for you.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10. PDE macrumors 68020

Safari is extremely unstable for me too and I can't pin point what it is that's causing it. It even crashed when I was in gmail. This is the first time in many years that a browser is causing so much trouble. Firefox has also been doing the same thing, unfortunately.

Next time it happens I'll post the log.

11. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

12. fselin macrumors newbie

When uploading files at for example as Gmail-attachments or photos to imageshack.us makes Safari crash. I've uninstalled and installed Adobe Flash several times, I've also repaired permissions...

Safari 4.0.3 (6531.9)
    Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Internetplugins:
    Flash Player.plugin
    flashplayer.xpt
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
    Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin
    JavaPluginCocoa.plugin

Crash Report ("Gmail attach a file"-crash):
    http://pastebin.com/f197af0bb

13. Fred Diamond macrumors newbie

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

15. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

@crashees, do you have private browsing enabled?

16. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That appears to be a hang rather than a crash; it looks like it's occurring in the code that attempts to determine whether your internet connection is currently working correctly. Perhaps your connection dropped just as the upload was starting (obviously this shouldn't hang the app, but it would explain why you're seeing it and many others aren't)?

<edit>
    Alternatively, the particular thing it's hanging on seems to be PPP related; do you use PPP for your internet connection?
    </edit>

<edit2>
    The nightly build suggestion below applies here too; I have a vague memory of a file-upload related commit in the last week or two that could be relevant.
    </edit2>

17. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

That looks to be a crash in WebCore's cache handling code. One possible thing to try would be downloading a nightly build (nightly.webkit.org) to see if it's been fixed yet.

18. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

The flash plugin always crashes in Snow Leopard. It doesn't bring the whole browser down, but in Leopard, it didn't crash in the first place.

19. livingincrete macrumors newbie

Flash Crashes

I have three Macs at this location, Macbook, MacbookPro & Imac 24 inch. Two were upgraded to SL from leopard and one was a clean installation. All three crash regularly in all browsers when using any application which requires Flash. The crashes are at random points during usage and cannot be predicted. Sometimes a report is generated to send to apple, sometimes it is not.

From reading other posts on various forums it is obvious that this is a very widespread problem.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That thing is total and utter crap. Guaranteed to eat 70% CPU. Sometimes from a simple flash ad.

21. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Hmm, Safari hasn't crashed once on me in Snow Leopard, with four different Macs (three Core Duos; Mini, iMac and MacBook, and one late 2008 MBP). I installed the first day it came out.

But then I have Click-to-flash installed so I don't get random Flash running on my machines.

22. SmugMac macrumors regular

Same. Makes me wonder if people with stability issues may be having an underlaying hardware problem?

23. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Seeing threads like this makes me glad (somewhat) that I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet. I'm still on Leopard 10.5.8 and almost never experience browser crashes of any kind, or any application crash for that matter. I do feel behind the times a little since I'm not running the current Mac OS for the first time on this machine, but I much prefer my stable machine over the "latest-and-greatest" so to speak for now at least.

24. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Unlikely. It's usually due to a combination of different usage patterns, different websites, different settings, different installed software (hacks, flash player versions, clicktoflash, etc...), and just luck. Some bugs only occur with more than one processor, but these days most people have that.

Unfortunately the only way to get a *real* view for where problem areas are is statistically over the entire OSX user base, and that requires information not accessible outside Apple.

25. djdmarckey macrumors newbie

running leopard CRASH

i have still not upgraded t snow.L. just yet. all my browser crash constantly. no error message. the browser freezes, beachball spins. then the mouse arrow(beachball) freezes and in 10-15 second all comes back online as if nothing happened. very frustrating. afraid to upgrade in case it gets worse. but if its not working right now i might as well go 4 it