Safari Extensions Discussion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Salacion, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Now that you've tried the Safari extensions, what are your thoughts?

Which are your favorites?
    Which should we avoid?
    Which would you like to have?
    Which are the most useful?
    Which are absolutely pointless?
    etc...

Let's discuss!

GENERAL:

(URL Shorteners)
    Thurly = Best Looking/Slow/Doesn't Work With All Sites
    Shortly = Fastest/Works With Everything So Far

(Shut Up) On/Off Option for Webpage Comments
    Useful, but Don't See Why You Need It

(AdBlock) Blocks Ads
    Must have. Best extension yet.

(True Knowledge Search Enhancer) Questions Answered
    Great concept, works only for simple questions (10 * 20 = ? or What is the capital of Canada?)

(Glue) Media Suggestor
    Need an account for this? Worthless to me.

AVOID:
    Exposer = Slow and Glitchy
    Defacer = Blocks Facebook Links
    Better Facebook = Makes Facebook News Feed Ugly

2. TimmyDee macrumors member

I'd like to see an extension that enables vertical tabs a la OminiWeb. I'd like to stick with OW, but it would be nice to have an alternative in Safari that keeps one of my favorite features in case the Omnigroup gives up on the browser.

3. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I installed ebay, weather.com, and gmail. I think the weather and gmail ones are going to prove very convenient to have by the looks of things. The idea of not having to find my weather bookmark is quite nice. I rarely check my gmail so that will come in handy as well. Looking forward to see what else comes along down the road. I have no idea what the limitations are but facebook chat or skype would be kinda neat to have like that as well.

*Didn't see adblock the first time added that as well*

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

IMHO the Old Google Image Search extension by Evan Magaliff is sufficient justification for Safari 5 and Safari Extensions. Google really screwed up image searching recently and this fixes it.

I previously tried Translate by Side Tree Software but it would frequently cause Safari to freeze or crash. As a result, I don't trust any extension from Side Tree Software.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I have Tweetie, Little snapper, Youtube downloader, Snapshot and Translate.

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I have:

• Weather Channel - Displays an icon on the toolbar with a badge showing the current temperature and when you click it, it takes you to weather.com.
    • Look Up in SpanishDict - Adds an option to the right click menu to look up on spanishdict.com. The translation shows up in a window similar to that shown by pressing Control + Command + D over a word on a Mac.
    • AdBlock - Blocks web ads and ads in YouTube videos.
    • Emoji - Allows you to see emoji icons from iOS in Safari.
    • NoMoreiTunes - Makes it so iTunes doesn't automatically open when you click an iTunes link. This is by far my favorite one. I found this so freaking annoying.
    • Download YouTube - allows you to download YouTube videos.

I would use the Gmail one but I don't see the point considering I have the mail app that does the same thing unless I'm missing something.

I would like something similar to FlashGot on Firefox if it's possible. It allows you to download any media from a website. This is the only reason I currently have Firefox installed and I use it only when I need to use FlashGot.

7. rfrankl macrumors 6502

8. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I installed the Weather Network extension, but couldn't configure it for Canada. Is this even possible?

Also, I installed the WOT extension, but every time I navigate to a webpage, I get a brief popup notification in the top left corner. It almost looks like a growl notification, but it's just the WOT rating for the webpage. It disappears after about 3 seconds. Does anyone know how to turn this off? It's pretty damn annoying...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because weather has been discontinued for Canada. :D

10. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The feature is being planned for Canada 2.0, which will also fix the bug where the language sometimes changes to french for no reason, and the Tim Hortons problem.

11. Dias macrumors 6502

Is there anything that transform the address bar into something more useful (Chrome/Firefox-like)?

12. sadcamper macrumors regular

Go to their webpage, pick your city, and copy the code it uses at the end of the web address (ie. Toronto is http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Toronto+Canada+CAXX0504?role=, so use CAXX0504). Paste the code into the box in Safari>Preferences>Extensions, and select Celsius.

You may also want to click on Celcius on the actual weather page (top right corner).

13. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

14. Salacion thread starter macrumors 6502a

SuperDrag and NoMoreiTunes aren't in the Extension's Gallery. Where are you finding these stray extensions?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. Salacion thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting ever so desperately for a combined Address bar/Search bar extension, and a tabs up top extensions. It will come!

17. Salacion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you sir.

18. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I got NoMoreiTunes from here. You can find quite a bit by just searching Safari Extensions in Google because extensions have been out for a while. Apple just now publicly enabled them.

19. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Why cant i get the youtube downloader? On the youtube page it says this is no longer compatible :confused:

Can someone link me to one that works please :eek:

Edit: got it working :)

20. kasakka macrumors 68000

I like the Reload button, even though it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time (usually a reload via Cmd+R fixes this).

Exposer is slow and really only useful if you have tons of tabs open.

Ultimate Status bar is nice. Configurable enough, but I wish it had a delay before opening so you would have to hold the cursor over a link for a moment before it pops up.

Overall the addons so far aren't that good.

21. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'll have to check this out because Google really did F up Image searching. What in the heck were they thinking???

22. Salacion thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with it? I kinda like it.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For one, it loads MANY more images on a single page, which takes longer. Every time I do an image search, Safari beachballs like crazy until hundreds of images load, even if the one I'm looking for might be in the first dozen. Then, when I click on an image, it takes me to a page that is blocked by an overlay of the image. I have to click another link to make that image go away so I can see the site it came from. Royal PITA!

24. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

I hate it too but the extension only fixes the image search page. When you click an image, it will still behave the same way as you described.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The extension changes it back to the way it was before, with a limited number of results (20) per page. It loads MUCH faster the old way. Yes, clicking an individual pic works the new way, but at least that doesn't cause Safari to beachball.