Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abadgermac

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2020
UK
I have not seen the translate website feature on the latest iOS Beta - am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I very much appreciate these features!

I also have a feeling it’s going to be very eye opening for us when we see just what apps are requesting permissions for certain activities!

frumpywumpy

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I'm curious if there has been a comparison between the new Safari's "Password Monitoring and Compromised Password Alerts" with Firefox's https://monitor.firefox.com feature?

Similarly, with the new Safari's "Tracking Permission" and Firefox's https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2...cludes-protections-against-redirect-tracking/

I'd really appreciate a technical assessment of their similarities and differences. I'm forced to use Windows at work, so I've tended towards Firefox as my cross-platform browser of choice (like others, I'd prefer to use Safari, if there was a version that ran on Windows).

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I have to say, I really think Apple have done a great job with these latest OS's. I've been running iOS 14, Big Sur and iPadOS for a while and I find them very stable. There are a few quirks here and there but nothing that's deal breaking. All my software seems to work except Santander.

I'm liking the new look and feel and overall it just feels better. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Big Sur in beta is considerably better than Catalina at the end of its cycle! Now my machine behaves as expected, I always had issues with Catalina, like a slow 16" MBP!

Scribble on iPad works great and it will be interesting to see how I might use this going forward. There is something to be said for actually using a pen...if you know what I mean!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
To me the privacy report and co promised passwords are the standout features.(although I think some of these new features are a drop in the bucket of what is hopefully to come)

Privacy Report seems similar to what we're getting on FireFox on desktop, yet this is nice in Safari in iOS.

They had me at built-in website translation to the language iOS is set to ;)

Cannot wait to upgrade this October to iPhone 12 5.4" 128/256GB. I just hope 'Matte Black' secretly returns.

Reactions: I7guy

BlueCreek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
Why is safari translate region locked :mad: its annoying having to keep pasting the webpage into chrome just to translate it

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I'm bummed out... the Safari Tracker report shows that Mac Rumors is tracking me the most (56 trackers). I don't go to many websites (I wear a tin-foil hat) but this was surprising. I guess you gotta make money somehow.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm bummed out... the Safari Tracker report shows that Mac Rumors is tracking me the most (56 trackers). I don't go to many websites (I wear a tin-foil hat) but this was surprising. I guess you gotta make money somehow.

It's semi-cumulative, so it'll be higher the more you visit (up to a point).

See: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...that-tracks-me-the-most.2246542/post-28689449 for an in depth explanation of how it works.

tl;dr: We have a $25/yr ad-free (mostly tracking free, just our own analytics) tier you can subscribe to.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Reactions: arn

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Don't think you meant $25/hr (the bargain that it would be o_O)
MacRumors member data is worth a lot. And I mean A LOT!

Plus they have sophisticated tracking that only counts the amount of time spent actually reading content, does not count if just having the site open in a browser with no one reading. haha

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.