Safari issues

SRASC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
Lately I've been having some nagging, annoying issues with Safari (currently running Version 13.0.5 (13608.5.12)) on macOS High Sierra (can't update further).

1.When I initially run Safari it takes a while for my history to show up, sometimes several minutes. Once it shows up its fine but still usually its instant.

2. Sometimes if I make a small change to a URL to go to a new address, Safari would seemingly ignore my input & go back to the original URL already in place.
e.g. changed to would switch back to the original.
Would take several attempts or if I select the entire URL & select copy & then try to enter the new URL then it goes through.

Is there a way to reinstall Safari if need be?

Thanks.

Reactions: MSastre

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
It looks like Safari is tightly coupled with macOS: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416

I know what you mean about the symptoms, though. It seems like after a restart, Safari is almost unresponsive for the first half-minute or so; it just doesn't respond in any way to changes in the address bar. I'm guessing there's some foundational stuff it's setting up after restarting – much like the Spotlight indexing macOS does – but it's always struck me as pretty glaring.

SRASC

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Trinidad & Tobago
Yup. In my case though as far as the address bar happens pretty much the entirety of using it. If I try after the first minute or after it’s been open for days.

Thing is I’ve tried using the Safari Technology Preview and the same things don’t happen there. So if I could either fix the original Safari or ditch it for TP (but not have both stuck on one computer) that’ll solve the issues.

Erehy Dobon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2018
As is typical for this type of inquiry, I suggest you create a new user on your Mac, log into the newly created account and try Safari.

If it works fine, then the signs point to something wrong with your regular user account, most likely a poor Safari extension but possibly something else.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Just delete the contents of your ~/Library/Safari folder and see if it fixes the problem (make a backup of your bookmarks first.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What I've noticed lately is that I close (shutdown) my MBP (see sig) with a request to reopen all windows and the next day when I launch my computer Safari launches but has wiped all the tabs I had open, to a single blank page. This is annoying me enough, that I might consider going back to Firefox, but Firefox used more memory than Safari does. I do use Firefox on my PC.

Any opinions of the best browser to use on your Mac?