Safari, my ISP, or is this forum just slow?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by toddburch, Nov 25, 2008.

1. toddburch macrumors 6502a

I like this forum, but the pages take WAY too long to load. I visit the forum 4 or 5 times a day, and the first page visited, takes a good 15-20 seconds to load, and the Activity pane is usually full of red error message, usually from the //images.macrumors path. Which, pretty much gives me a lousy browsing experience.

Is there some way to trace, in Safari, what is taking so long to load?

I'm running Leopard with Safari 3.1.2. I have an ATT U-Verse account with 18mb download, 1.5mb upload package. I've done a speed test and have seen anywhere from 14mb to 17.5mb download, and the upload test was about 1.4mb. The problem is not limited to this forum. It's as if Safari hasn't learnt about caching data.

Any ideas for settings to speed this sucker up? (Mac Pro, 4 processors, 3ghz processor, 2gb memory. I had a 500gb hard drive where Tiger was installed, then I added a 1TB drive and installed Leopard on that and made the new drive my boot volume. For some apps, like iTunes, it seems all the data is still on the 500gb drive, as iTunes now gets the beach ball every time I start it. Ohhhh, the pain....)

Thanks, Todd

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Try a restart of your computer. And, try firefox and see if its the same. The Cache may be bloated, and cleaning may be in order.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

If it's simply the cahce, you can reset Safari's cache (and other things) using the 'reset Safari' button under the menu.

Funnily, I have been having crazy issues with wifi at home - only on this machine, but only at home, so it's really hard to track down the issue.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Do you have a crappy home router, or AT&T provided gadget? Check for firmware updates either way.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

this site has had it's issues over time with server load. I'm not sure why images.macrumors.com would be hanging up though. I haven't noticed anything noticeable recently.

arn

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The closest Arn, was a few minutes ago, the images in the left hand column change to (?) marks for a few minuets, then back again.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

You mean: You recently haven't noticed anything noticeable recently. Recent.

8. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I reset my cache, and things do seem to be a bit faster now. I had seen the "Empty Cache..." before, but wasn't sure of the extent of its ramifications. Since Dec 2006, this may have been the 2nd time I reset it. And, I don't turn this machine off that often - maybe 4 times this year so far.

The //images.macrumors...gifs are still failing to load occasionally though.

Thanks all.

9. belvdr macrumors 603

Since this thread is fairly recent, I thought I would add that all of my machines are struggling with the forums still. The Spy works fine, as does the main www site. However, forums hangs, times out, and all sorts of stuff. I have tried both IE and Firefox, but all I can do is keep refreshing.

To note, it is usually waiting on forums.macrumors.com. I have tried this on 3 connections: 3Mb, 5Mb, 1Gb and they all have the same issue. Sometimes it is very quick, and other times it won't load at all.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it was impossible to load for about an hr for me just till now

11. toddburch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, still an issue for me too. In Safari, in my first TAB, it will hang. But if while waiting on the first TAB, I open a second TAB, the second session gets right in, and the first session continues to sit and spin.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The forums have been intermittently down for me since about 5pm (2 1/2 hours), it only lasts about 10 minutes, then they're back up, guess it's just an influx of users from somewhere, someone must've linked the forums on a big site.

13. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Response was poor for me at times as well in the past 24 hours.