iPad Safari on iPad crashes after white screen

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by tanman405, Jul 4, 2016.

1. tanman405 macrumors newbie

For several months now I have not been able to use Safari on my iPad at all. Whenever I open Safari, there are no tabs or address bar visible. The screen is almost completely white and the app seems to be frozen and then the app crashes. I have tried restarting my iPad, turning off safari sync, and clearing history and website data as possible fixes, but none of that seems to have any effect. I have included a dropbox link to a QuickTime movie of a screen recording of my iPad. My iPad is a 4th generation unit with 128 GB (wifi only) and uses iOS 9.3.2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9b9j40go6b19en/iPad Safari issue.mov?dl=0

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

A reset is not the same as 'restarting'. Hold down the sleep and home buttons until you see the Apple logo.

3. tanman405 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that process several times, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I seem to have solved the issue. I wish it could have been done another way, but I did a factory restore of the iPad. Safari is working fine now. I actually did two factory restorations. After the first one, I then restored from a recent backup. Safari was again useless as it was before. So, I restored again and individually loaded up my old apps and went back to the old settings.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

The effective difference between the two being...?

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

I think force restarting actually does less (because the os isnt let to shut down normally) than restarting and hence may cause corruption - and should be used only if the device isnt response normally. (But i have no first hand knowledge about this.)

6. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Restart is at the software level, force restart is at the hardware level.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

But what is the end difference between the two when the phone actually restarts?