Safari on MacBook Pro really slow

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Hey all,

I just wanted to get feedback if anybody finds Safari really slow?
I know many will say it must be your broadband provider...but my broadband is extrememly fast and when I do speed tests I constantly achieve over 200 mbps so I don't think it is the internet?

I have Chrome and I have noticed that it is faster than Safari,,,

Has anybody expierienced similar issues?

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Are you saying when you run the speed test on Safari it is slower than Chrome? If so, what are the readings for both?

Or is it slower when visiting certain sites, watching certain videos, etc.?

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Are you saying when you run the speed test on Safari it is slower than Chrome? If so, what are the readings for both?

Or is it slower when visiting certain sites, watching certain videos, etc.?
Oh sorry I didn't explain myself properly

I meant that when I am visiting certain sites especially with heavy images, loading web pages...it is really slow. Is there anything I can do?
I don't think its my MacBook Pro because everything else seems to run run fast. (I have an I7 MacBook Pro 15 inch)

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Not really sure what can be done.

Which MBP do you have? Which OS?

It's strange that only Safari is slow.
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Do I need to clear the history or empty cache? I haven't done that since I bought the laptop like a year ago but then again I know you really shouldn't have to do that anyway?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Safari on your Macbook should be way faster than mine. I also have an early 2015 Air and it is faster than my 13" MBP but not a lot faster.

Have you tried a clean install? You could try clearing the cache to see if that helps. What about upgrading to HS or a fresh install of HS?

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Safari on your Macbook should be way faster than mine. I also have an early 2015 Air and it is faster than my 13" MBP but not a lot faster.

Have you tried a clean install? You could try clearing the cache to see if that helps. What about upgrading to HS or a fresh install of HS?
No I haven't tried a clean install...

HS?

I am very new to the whole MacBook Pro. How would I do this?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
HS = High Sierra.

You could try this, although it will take time:

1. create a time machine backup of your drive in its current state;
  2. if the Macbook is not running HS, download HS from the App store but don't install and use these instructions to create a USB installer: https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/02/how-to-create-bootable-macos-high-sierra-usb-install-drive-video/
  3. boot the machine with the USB key, erase the drive using Disk Utility, and install HS.
My Mac is running HS. Just checked about this Mac

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Was it an upgrade or fresh install?
I think so. I got an update notification and just update it there

There is something deffo wrong with my Safari though. After using Chrome for like 30 mins its a lot faster and I don't seem to be having any problems.
For example when I use Safari and I navigate through Twitter for example....videos on twitter pages doesn't run smoothly and is really slow...but when I go on the exact same page on Chrome...the video plays fine....
Really don't know what to do!

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Test Safari in a new user account, or the Guest one, if enabled.
Ok.

If its fast on a different account is there a solution?
[doublepost=1508973489][/doublepost]
Test Safari in a new user account, or the Guest one, if enabled.
Still not very fast tbh when I tried the guest account

Do I need to book an appointment with the Genius Bar because this problem seems really strange

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Did this happen after upgrading to High Sierra?

Try an internet recovery and wipe the drive before reinstalling the os.
It just started getting slow tbh
But other programmes seem to work fine. Like I said Chrome works fine and isn't slow at all.

Also how do you do what you suggested? I need to buy a hard drive then because I actually don't own one at the moment...

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
How are you backing up your data?

If you have a backup, an external drive is not required to perform an internet recovery, just a wi-fi connection.
Stupidly I have not backup anything yet! I only got the Laptop a couple of months ago and have very few important things on my Mac but I will invest tomorrow and buy a hard drive...

I heard Carbon Copy Cloner is really good to use to back up your Mac?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I do two things: one is to create a time machine backup of my entire drive, second is to copy my documents and data to a second external drive.

If the documents are very important, I store them on my Google drive too.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Can you list the urls of a few pages that are causing issues?

It may be due to how the pages are constructed. Are sites like this one working well? How about youtube, before you watch videos.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Ok.

If its fast on a different account is there a solution?
[doublepost=1508973489][/doublepost]
Still not very fast tbh when I tried the guest account

Do I need to book an appointment with the Genius Bar because this problem seems really strange
Have you added any extensions ad blockers etc to safari that may be slowing it down??

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Have you added any extensions ad blockers etc to safari that may be slowing it down??
The only extension I have added is UBLOCK.

Safari seems to be running a little faster today surprisingly? I will monitor and see if it starts to get slower...

vine-boating

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
Try turning that extension off and seeing how it does without it.
Actually I am having a new problem now

Everything seems to be okay apart from that...but when for example I watch a YouTube video...and then click on another video to watch....nothing happens when I click to watch another video...so I have to close YouYube and opening it again to watch another video?

Is it the UBLOCK that is causing this? I only installed UBLOCK yesterday and have never had this problem before...