safari or firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adrake86, Jul 22, 2007.

1. adrake86 macrumors regular

2. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I only use Firefox for my internet banking atm as safari 3 isnt supported by my bank :(

3. allcreative macrumors newbie

i'm the same, I mainly use safari, but use firefox for internet banking on occasions as safari doesn't support some features.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I use both, although more so Safari (version 2) than Firefox. My University's website doesn't fully support Safari so I bounce back and forth.

5. defeated macrumors regular

How can other people decide which browser you use?

You "Should" try both and decide for yourself.

6. polycat33 macrumors 6502

I use Firefox, it has so many useful features as well as hundreds of add ons and such that you can pick out based on your needs. I don't know if Safari has those too but I can get Firefox to do pretty much whatever I can dream up.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Safari and Opera are the only browser out there that don't annoy me.

8. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Just use both, find out Firefox is a resource hog and stick with Safari. :rolleyes:

9. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Sometimes I wear running shoes, sometimes I wear loafers. Whatever the situation calls for.

10. JayEE macrumors newbie

More Options

Just to muddy the water a little more, I prefer iCab. It's light weight and will pretend to be IE or Safari or netscape or firefox. So when a website is particular about my browser I just change its identity

11. phoenixblend macrumors newbie

Safari

I love how slick and simple it is. Firefox is good, but theres too many dongles and add-ons. If you love mac you'll love safari.

12. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

My one gripe about using OSX is the Firefox browser. There's not PDF support for it, meaning that I can't open PDFs in a window, but instead I have to download it. That's just ridiculous.

And then there's Safari, which can handle PDFs, but then it doesn't have mouse gestures. Are you kidding me? That's a necessity.

I predominantly use Firefox. But because i'm using Adblock, some video sites don't work (and i can't for the life of me figure out how to unblock them) so I have to use Safari.

This is one of the two things that I hate most about OSX. Something so simple, yet so overlooked.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Safari, except when a transactional site won't support it. Then I reluctantly reach for Firefox. Thankfully that happens very rarely.

14. adrake86 thread starter macrumors regular

15. andrewt1187 macrumors member

I use Firefox 100%. I tried Safari for a day and encountered too many problems. I did an unscientific test of opening up some random webpages to see which was faster; Firefox always was. Maybe once its not a beta...

Also, I'm a big fan of the open source movement.

16. gonyr macrumors 6502

I generally do the exact same thing. Usually it's banking that's the problem. There's one site I go to (can't remember which) that will ONLY work with IE.

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

18. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Try 'em both. I like Firefox much, much more (and I don't know what these "resource hog" things are about-it runs well). Both Safari and Internet Explorer (on Windows) feel primitive to me.

19. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I prefer safari way over firefox, my backup browser is Camino which I think is worlds better than firefox. I only use adblock so Camino does that for me, but Safari is just too slick...

20. pusman83 macrumors regular

I use Firefox because it's more widely supported and I hate life without my Adblock :D. Haven't found it to be a ressource hog.

21. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Why do you like Camino better? I always ask, and no one ever can explain it. I tried it once briefly, back around 1.5.something of Firefox when there was a release that wasn't stable on the Mac. Seemed like the same thing as Firefox, only not as good.

22. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I use FIREFOX! Haven't bothered trying Safari as firefox does everything I need and has some great bookmark options.

Admitadly I use an IE extention for one site that doesn't work well with FF.

23. rev316 macrumors regular

I'd stick with Wolfpup's advice. Try them both, 95% of the users will just stay on one side of the fence. For me, I prefer Firefox for development (also sometimes for sites that don't quite like safari) and then Safari for other personal applications (which is a bit zipper then firefox). User experience will vary; and if you feel real ambitious, check out Opera and Camino.

Lots of fantastic choices.

24. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Firefox 4 lyf.

It's fast, has a bunch of great extensions that I use often (in particular the gmail notifier).

25. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack