Safari or Firefox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Joemero, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Joemero macrumors regular

I'm a new mac user and was wondering which is the browser of choice for most mac users?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You are opening a can of worms with that question.
    Firefox is my choice.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you search there are plenty of threads about this

link

p.s I use firefox, doesn't hog all my computer resources like safari

4. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I used Firefox exclusively until the Safari 4 beta came out. I've been on Safari ever since.

5. lwien macrumors regular

I used Safari exclusively for years including Safari 4. Switched to Firefox when version 3.5 came out and I won't go back. For me, Firefox is faster and more stable as long as you don't load it up with a bunch of add-ons.

6. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

My experience is exactly the opposite. :confused:

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Try both and pick the one you like.

You know, to each his own and all that.

8. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

As mentioned it's best to test the both of them and get to grips with them and see which one you prefer, not what other people prefer. I use Safari but think I may switch to the new Firefox 3.5 soon.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I quite agree. This question is like asking what is the best flavor of ice cream.

10. The General macrumors 601

Safari is great. Firefox is clunky, slow and ugly. Firefox has better extensions, but since I don't really want or need anything other than adblock, Safari is fine.

http://burgersoftware.com/en/safariadblock

That question can easily be answered. This:
    [​IMG]

11. ikos macrumors regular

they are both great browsers, I recently switched to Firefox 3.5 and absolutely love it. Firefox is just much more of an experience, you can change the way it looks by using different themes and it has amazing addons that let you create your own perfect browser.

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try both for a week. then make a choice, and you can keep them forever and check each out once in a while.

13. lwien macrumors regular

Firefox USED to be clunky. It's clunky no more.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

You can say that 100 times to the guy, some people won't listen and won't try. I call them fanboys.

Its sometimes very difficult to discuss anything with people with prejudice and think any apple products always being superior than any non apple products.

15. str1f3 macrumors 68000

As has been said go whichever one you like most. That being said the most interesting browser out there is Chrome. I don't like trusting Google for personal information, but that browser is mind-blowingly fast. It's the only app I've ever seen that doesn't even bounce on the dock when opening it. I'm playing with the early builds of Chromium and I'm incredibly impressed.

16. anguyenn macrumors member

I used Firefox since I got my Mac last year but now I'm using Safari 4.

17. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Safari or Firefox, glossy or matte, rice or potatoes, paper or plastic. C'mon, just make a decision and commit.

18. jmj macrumors member

Eh. I used Chrome for about a week on my Windows machine at work. Tried to like it. Tried real hard, but just couldn't. My biggest thing (outside of the annoying bugs) is I hate that hideous blue UI. I just can't get past it. I'll try the Mac version when it comes out, but I'm not all that hopeful.

I prefer Safari on my Macbook, but FF closed the gap a bit (for me) with 3.5. It's very smooth and really improved in the rendering font dept - and it's plenty fast. I'm using it as much as I ever have.

19. tallguy macrumors regular

Haha. Here we go again with the heated, safari vs firefox debate. Right now I prefer safari just because of the speed. That includes the speed for browsing the web and for opening up the application itself.

20. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

are you serious. that is totally my favorite flavor of ice cream. i go to rite aid, like all the time to get it.

21. lwien macrumors regular

Well, I'm not a fanboy of either FireFox or Safari. Just callin' like I see it. I've been a Safari user since day 1. It's the ONLY browser I ever used. I tried Camino, FireFox, Opera, etc etc etc, but I always came back to Safari because of the speed. Then Safari 4 came out and I liked it even better. Then I thought I'd give FireFox 3.5 a try and now with this latest update of 3.5.2, I will no longer use Safari as FireFox is now speedier and more stable.

I still like some of the features that Safari 4 has better, but the speed increase with this new FireFox release is just to obvious to ignore.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its probably 50/50 on a Mac, probably with some slight advantage of Safari.

I use Safari - its gorgeous, speedy, renders pages correctly, more "for Mac" feel (FF's close tab button on the right?? WTF, this isn't Windows), has very nice bookmarks system (including sync over mobileme with my other Mac) and almost never crashes. Click2Flash is the only addon I need.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Have to install add-ons just to make an app as it should have been from the beginning? >_>