Safari page-loading errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Over the past few days — maybe a week or longer — I've been getting lots (i.e. say, 1 in 5 attempts) of errors from links just on this site alone. Pages not loading, error messages such as the example below.

I'm not entirely sure what the exact cause is so I thought I'd post it here just in case anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I can't seem to replicate the problem with any other browser, or site or other forum with Safari.

Safari 2.0.3 — OS10.4.5 — 2gb RAM G4 1.42 dual

Attachments

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep...I've been getting a lot of these over the past few days. The initial click on a thread link gives the error message, but a reload always brings it up just fine. I've noticed once or twice in the past, but it's been happening to me a lot in the last few days on several different computers and internet connections.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I've had this for a while (but probably not as frequently as you seem to be getting it) and I've kind of got used to it. A quick stab of Cmd-R usually makes it go away. Like you say, it is only MR, and only Safari, so I put it down to a slight incompatibility between the two - a bit like the text box error that was around a while back.

I think it has been mentioned before, but no-one really came up with a solution other than refresh then either. :confused:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
The site has been extremely - sometimes excrutiantingly - slow the last few nights. I logged off last night it got so bad at one point.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
mad jew said:
In the interests of the survey, put me on the end of the list. It's been happening for many months for me, but not terribly badly.
Yeah, I've been having the issue for 2 or 3 months at least. But its pretty rare (considering how many times I load MR forum pages), maybe once or twice a day.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Do you think I should report the bug to Apple and describe the pages on MR I was trying to load? ;)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I think I've noticed an improvement overt the last few days. I had been experiencing the same errors previously as well but they seem to be diminishing in frequency. :)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
max_altitude said:
I think I've noticed an improvement overt the last few days. I had been experiencing the same errors previously as well but they seem to be diminishing in frequency. :)
same here.

I also had a problem the other day where I couldn't load macrumors.com

i had to log onto forums.macrumors.com to get to it. But, besides that one event, and the error messages, I haven't had any other problems with the site.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
quick search appears to blame it on Safari accepting compressed content:

http://www.port80software.com/200ok/archive/2005/02/25/349.aspx

The text on this site is compressed (gziped) prior to sending to most browsers which support it. Safari included. I made a change in one of the settings to see if I was causing this problem.

Let me know if you still have problems after this moment.

thanks
arn

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
arn said:
I made a change in one of the settings to see if I was causing this problem.

Let me know if you still have problems after this moment.

Thanks Arn. Will do.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
skoker said:
*never thought I would say this, but:*

"There's already a thread on that.
Thanks but since the problem was addressed and solved here, I'll treat your post with the respect it deserves.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Thanks but since the problem was addressed and solved here, I'll treat your post with the respect it deserves.
I'm just teasing ya... just wanted to point it out before somebody else (such as jsw of Doctor Q) did.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Safari ----ppplllbbbzzzssstt....

(that's the sound of a tongue-stuck-out razzberry)

I got well and fed up with that program and decamped for Firefox.

Once in a long while, Firefox will misinterpret the headers or something and when linking to a post, displays raw code instead of the post. Once it starts, it seems to happen more and more. Quit and restart Firefox fixes it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
skoker said:
...just wanted to point it out before somebody else (such as jsw of Doctor Q) did.
Think that's rather unlikely somehow. Instructive that you might choose to somehow manage to compare them to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.