Safari Running Slow?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ghsNick, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Is there any way to "speed" Safari up?
    I feel like it's been running a little slow for my liking.
    I have AdBlock as my only extension...but is there anything else to do?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is it slow only on particular sites, or overall? Is it slower than it was before? Are you sure it's not just your internet connection? Can you give more details?

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I just feel like it's not as crisp. I remember it would have the webpage up in less than a second (literally when I released the click) and now it's taking about 2 seconds.

I ran CCleaner and wiped all the cache/cookies/etc. so maybe things need to reload so they're stored but I didn't know if there was anything else to do?

My internet connection is great and I also have 11DL and 15UL on SpeedTest.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can clear the Safari cache and cookies without any other apps required. You'll actually slow things down by deleting some other caches. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps like CCleaner to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

This may help: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It's running faster on Chrome...

Attached Files:

6. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I had these checked...do you think I removed anything important?

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All those checked are unnecessary to clear, except occasionally Safari's cache and cookies. Your system will work harder to rebuild those caches, slowing performance in the process. Caches exist to improve performance, not degrade it. Clearing them removes that improvement. Clearing recent items only removes the convenience they provide. Such things take up very little space on disk and have zero negative impact on your system's performance.

You really don't need CCleaner for anything. My best recommendation is that you uninstall it.

8. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

How do I uninstall...just by dragging it into the Trash, right?

I figured out the problem...in a thread a while back you said to uncheck "Enable Java."

The first result is with it unchecked and the second one is it checked.

Attached Files:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To simply remove the app, yes. To remove all traces of it, no. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    Yep, some sites require it. Just enable it when you're on a trusted site that needs it for the duration of your visit, then disable it again when you leave.

10. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok...can you just reiterate why you said it was better to keep it unchecked on unknown sites?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, some sites have trojans that can exploit Java to automatically download or install. There have been a few like that over the years, so it's safer to keep it unchecked until you need it. You can find more details here:
    Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

12. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So do you always keep it unchecked?
    And does Enabling it make websites like MacRumors load quicker or does it matter if it's checked/unchecked when loading MacRumors.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to have it checked for MacRumors. I leave it unchecked until I encounter a trusted site that doesn't function properly without it, which is pretty rare for me. YMMV.

14. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Yeah I haven't encountered any problems with it unchecked.
    So speed/snapiness on other sites (Facebook/macrumors/other forums) won't be affected with it unchecked?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. If you encounter a site that needs Java enabled, it won't simply perform slowly; components that require Java won't perform at all.

16. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok. So it's all in my head then lol. Thanks.

17. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I was able to get this App for free...It wants to clean up some languages...I only speak English so it seems like a waste to have these other languages.

Does it matter if I keep them? I know you say the Cache has to rebuild...but is it BAD if I do a Scan with these checked?

Attached Files:

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in post #4, you don't need such apps to keep your Mac running well. You're not running low on free drive space, so it makes no sense to try to delete such things. Caches serve to improve performance, many logs are useful in troubleshooting, and some problems can arise if certain languages are deleted. It's best to leave such apps alone and let your Mac manage itself.

19. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Do you have any proof/post of a language being deleted and problems arising?
    I'm not trying to challenge you (I believe you) but I was just curious how problems occur when certain languages are erased?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I've read about a few issues over the years that arose from deleting certain languages, but I can't recall which ones at the moment. I've been meaning to do some research to see if those issues still apply to current Mac OS X versions. I'll let you know what I find out.

21. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Alright thanks.
    Yeah the App has great reviews in the App Store and it costs $1.99.
    Everyone talked about how freeing up the languages was great.

I'll hold off for now. But thanks for checking it out.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If all you want to to is delete languages and unused architectures, Monolingual will do that, and it's free. You might save 1-2GB, but that's it.

23. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm going to show you what I have selected before I do it...All I need is English but some languages are left unchecked...Should I uncheck all English or is what I have selected fine?

And what about Input Menu and Architectures?

Reading this and it looks scary - but it was a long time ago so maybe it's better?

Attached Files:

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Honestly, I would leave it alone if I were you. You have plenty of free space available. You won't gain anything meaningful by deleting those. Just relax and enjoy using your Mac.

25. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Here are the facts on it.

It has English unchecked...but all other English (U.S/UK/etc.) checked when I originally log in...should I just uncheck ALL English?

And it has all inputs unchecked...but I checked all of them (except short cuts) because I don't need any of the other ones.

Let me know what you think. I'm waiting for your permission :D