Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Safari Translation Feature Reportedly Working in Additional Countries

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be rolling out its Safari webpage translation to more countries. According to iPhoneSoft, iOS users in France have reported gaining access to the feature, and tips sent to MacRumors suggest Mac users in Sweden are also seeing it show up for the first time.

Apple introduced Safari's machine translation earlier this year when it debuted iOS 14 and macOS Big Sur at WWDC in June.

The feature allows users to translate the language of websites viewed in Apple's native browser; it can translate Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Based on the latest information, Apple appears to have remotely enabled the translate option for the two additional countries for users running iOS 14.2.1, and revised version of macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur‌.

Article Link: Safari Translation Feature Reportedly Working in Additional Countries

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I got that on some page the other day. Just assumed it was a glitch, and not that it had been rolled out as a feature here in Norway, yet...

Edit: It seems I can enable it as a beta feature:

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 10.45.57.jpg

Comment

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
MacRumors, as I had told you long ago it’s working in Portugal too. Hello? Both in iOS and macOS. What’s so surprising about this feature being available in multiple countries?

Reactions: DinkThifferent
Comment

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I noticed a week or two ago the feature is also working in the Netherlands. No support for actual Dutch though. Here's an example with a German website:

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2020-11-23 om 11.08.53.png
    Schermafbeelding 2020-11-23 om 11.08.53.png
    857.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Reactions: DinkThifferent
Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
The feature allows users to translate the language of websites viewed in Apple's native browser; it can translate Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
Not sure why macrumors continue giving this misinfo. Safari can’t translate Japanese yet.

Reactions: CommanderData
Comment

Unsupported

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2020
Murcia, Spain.
MacRumors, as I had told you long ago it’s working in Portugal too. Hello? Both in iOS and macOS. What’s so surprising about this feature being available in multiple countries?

What's surprising to me is that it has worked in Safari with macOS Big Sur on my MBP, but not on my iPhone 8 but it does on my wife's iPhone 11.

That does surprise me 🤔

Comment

Allards

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
I'm in the Netherlands and it shows up on my iPad not on Safari on Big Sur.

Comment

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
When Apple is fixing to allow Safari Tab color to differentiate between active page vs passive pages. Make it something like black as passive pages tab and white/gray as active. Learn from Firefox,Chrome. Also new page addition, instead of in right corner; do like Firefox/Chrome.

Comment

PsykX

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
I found the English to French translation actually pretty damn decent!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.