Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Still no Yorkshire Translation.
125424218_1918914264915401_2086013298334662089_n.jpg

I do wonder how many non Brits will understand that...

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
View attachment 1677731

I do wonder how many non Brits will understand that...
?
use deepl.com "Yorkshireman: "Nah, it's 'ere, int basket.""
1) translate into chinese (约克郡人:"不,它就在这里,在篮子里")
2) retranslate into english (us)
-> "Yorkshireman: "No, it's right here, in the basket."" works for non brits...

Apple still doesn't use such good translation algorithms as deepl's guys, but they are probably already recruiting....

BTW. Google translation is one of the worse translators, Apple can hardly learn anything from them.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Unsupported

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Not sure why macrumors continue giving this misinfo. Safari can’t translate Japanese yet.
It can't translate Japanese or Korean yet. Was all excited thinking that they added a few new languages that I've been waiting for into Safari translation, but nope. Maybe next year...

Barnclos

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2015
Update for Switzerland: it does English to French/German (and, I assume, the others in the list), but I can’t get it to translate French/German to English.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I found the fix. Simple really, I needed to wait at least 30 seconds after shutting the iPhone 8 down before restarting it!
I too restarted - and waited. Still appeared not to work but then went to another site, suddenly prompted to allow translation - so probably the restart did work. Thanks.

Reactions: Unsupported

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I too restarted - and waited. Still appeared not to work but then went to another site, suddenly prompted to allow translation - so probably the restart did work. Thanks.
Some sites don't have the option to translate, but I have noticed that in those cases a menu shows at the bottom showing your language preferences.

IMG_0553.jpeg

I found the solution thanks to feedback I received from Spanish Apple Support and a contributor's advice.

Force quitting the app before restarting is also useful, in some cases it resolves the issue without restarting:

This is where I noted the 30 seconds reference:

Reactions: polyphenol

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
?
use deepl.com "Yorkshireman: "Nah, it's 'ere, int basket.""
1) translate into chinese (约克郡人:"不,它就在这里,在篮子里")
2) retranslate into english (us)
-> "Yorkshireman: "No, it's right here, in the basket."" works for non brits...

It only works if they translate first into Chinese and then back into English.

A lot of hoops to jump through to make a point. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.