Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
program tries to load but only thing that happens is rainbow circle appears
help pretty please

thanks!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Do other browsers connect?
Have you reset Safari?
Which version of Safari are you using?
Have you restarted your computer?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
I dont have any other browsers installed, I think?
don't know how to reset safari
version 3.1.2
I have restarted comouter

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
because of that rainbow circle that appears I can't click on anything to get to "reset safari"

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Restart or Reinstall

Download Safari from apple's website and re-install it. You may need to delete Safari.app first, I'm not sure.

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
cant connect...

There was a possible solution to this issue not to long ago, if you log into your router and obtain the DNS numbers listed in the performance section or info page of your router then you input these same numbers in the System Preferences>network>advance>DNS field, sometimes theres two or just one, this allows for a speedy connection. There was an issue with net connection in 10.5.1-3 and this was one of many solutions to them.

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
when I open the Network there is a list of 3 different server numbers and the proper domain name also, I am assuming its Safari is because my roommates internet is working fine on her mac

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You can try this... but I won't assume any liability :eek:

Your Home Folder -> Library -> Caches -> com.apple.safari
[delete this folder]

Your Home Folder -> Library -> Safari
[delete this folder]

Restart your computer

Restart Safari

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Then I would download the Safari install .dmg from Apple's website on your roommate's computer, copy it to your computer and reinstall Safari

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
sounds like a plan, how do I copy it from her computer to mine?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Simplest way would be to use a flash drive
But I have no hope that you have one (smile)

I am hoping you have a blank CD you use to burn your music
You can use that to burn the .dmg to the CD on your roommates computer
Then insert it in your computer and copy to your HD, open and install

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
I don't know if I need tiger because I have no clue what it actually is. I just need to computer to connect to the internet whatever way possible. Where do I find what computer and software? Computer is a few years old and its a white 13" macbook. Would I download v4 or an older version seeing as my current safari is 3.1.2?

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
You can transfer it from a USB Flash Drive. Put the Safari installer into the flash drive from her computer and then put the USB Flash drive to your computer and drag it onto your desktop and then install from there. As for OS version. On the top left you will see an APPLE symbol. Click it and Click ABOUT THIS MAC. And you should see the version number. I think 10.4.x was Tiger and 10.5.x is Leopard (correct me if I'm wrong. Still new to Macs)

-Tony

mrbrightside623

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
I don't know if I need tiger because I have no clue what it actually is. I just need to computer to connect to the internet whatever way possible. Where do I find what computer and software? Computer is a few years old and its a white 13" macbook. Would I download v4 or an older version seeing as my current safari is 3.1.2?

I think you can download 3.1.2 or v4. v4 is a beta though. I use v4 because its a tad bit faster than 3.x.x but its your preference.

-Tony

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
so I downloaded Safari v 3.2.3 for Leopard, my mac os x is v 10.5.6, and I got the following message, "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.7, mind I cannot connect to the internet to get any updates, can I download update first and transfer to my comp?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
so I downloaded Safari v 3.2.3 for Leopard, my mac os x is v 10.5.6, and I got the following message, "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.7, mind I cannot connect to the internet to get any updates, can I download update first and transfer to my comp?

If you cannot connect to Software Update either, you have bigger problems than a corrupt Safari install.

I would say you need to do an Archive and Install of your system to try to correct the issues. You will need your Leopard install DVD for that.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

cm23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2009
when I initiate software update the screen comes up and appears to be checking for new software but progress bar level stays in the same place. I am currently downloading Mac OS X 10.5.7 will try to install that followed by trying to install Safari again, hope it works otherwise I do have bigger problems!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.