Safarl 5: Serious memory leak

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sergus, Jun 7, 2010.

1. sergus macrumors newbie

I upgraded my system to Safari 5 from the file. I was not connected to the Internet at this point but decided to check the new browser, and was surprised to see how fast Safari occupied all available memory. The system was very irresponsive. Closing Safari solved the problem. This problem can easily be repeated. Can somebody confirm this? I have SL on MBP.

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Not experiencing this personally. Kinda baffled that flash player is running, especially when I have ClicktoFlash running.

I seem to see it (Safari) maxing out at around 300MB.

3. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

Happened to me... think it's related to the 10.1 Flash pre-release....:(

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Okay, turned off ClicktoFlash and installed Flash 10.1 beta, then opened up 20 tabs with flash heavy sites (NBC, Hulu, etc). Still can't get Safari to break 300MB.

What bothers me, the flash player plug-in is between 60-80% CPU. (Safari is only using around 4%)

5. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

I opened only the page saying that I am not connected and 3 gigs occupied. Can this still be related to flash?

6. rkuntze macrumors member

Not experiencing any problem on MBP haven't tried it on my MacPro. Using 265 MB of memory with 5 tabs open and running flash player.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Have a coupe pages open, running the 10.1 beta and 450mb...

8. sergus thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem is solved

Thanks Guys. I found the problem - AdBlocker. I disabled it and now I am fine.

9. viniciusferrao macrumors newbie

Adblocker extension? I'm at 911Mb of RAM and counting with Safari5.

10. jonathan999 macrumors newbie

Is it AdBlocker?

Glad to find this post. Since updating Safari it has become a mega memory hog. Can get up over 1gb. Currently at 1.19GB after running for a day or so.

I won't use a browser without AdBlocker… got too use to an ad-free internet for the past 6+ years I've been using Firefox and adblocker.

Any news on this issue? Would be much appreciated.

J

11. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

you can try Glimmerblocker to block ads. it serves as a proxy for Safari, Chrome, Opera etc. Firefox needs a little tweaking and the instructions can be found on GB's site.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

safari and a memory leak? I'm shock, utterly shocked, safari experiencing a memory leak unheard of. :eek:

Safari has been grappling with memory leaks since it was released.

13. Chemical1 macrumors newbie

14. busterpenny macrumors newbie

Memory Leak with Safari 5 - Looking for any advice

Hello - First post to MacRumors...we bought our 21.5" iMac about a year ago to get away from the slowness that we've experienced with Windows machines over the years. 2 months after we got the iMac things started to slow down...just like Windows!! I knew it was Safari all along because I look in the Activity Monitor and see it using over 1 Gig of memory all the time. Here is the version we're on: Version 5.0.2 (6533.18.5) I have brought the iMac into the Apple store so they could run diags on the machine...they replaced the airport card for no apparent reason, and I've spent countless hours on the phone with Apple sr. advisors trying to fix this issue. Apple had me run countless tests and even re-install the OS...of course the memory problem still exists and there is no apparent fix in site. I put my foot down and demanded they send me more memory, but they said it's against their policy to do so...we came to an agreement that they would send someone on site to my house to try to fix this issue. This Apple expert will be from one of their authorized service centers, not Apple directly. I checked the other post which said Flash ate up a ton of memory, we don't have flash running and Safari is still taking up 1 Gig of memory. The iMac at many times becomes unusable...and like most people we just use it for simple stuff - browsing, email, itunes, occasional iPhoto...any ideas, silver bullets??? I would love for this expensive machine to function again. Thanks

15. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hello! I can imagine some disappointment due there- investing in a fantastic new system for the family only for the same problems with different scenery; big let down.

While I find Safari loves to eat the memory (~1Gig) I'm also using a lot of extensions &c.- for it to be topping 1Gig on your system I'd say somethings amiss. How you fare with other browsers? I can recommend Opera, and if you've not tried doing so might give some insight into what/why this is.

Also, how often you quit the program/ shut down the computer? (I find it uses memory exponentially like sleep depravation burns through alacrity), and seeing as you mentioned a windows background I wondered whether you've seen the "Reset Safari" option in the main Safari menu? Should blow a few cobwebs away..

That said, the programs that came with your system should be at least be usable (since its had more ram to work with I find Safari's been quite a star). Hey, good luck with the rep. and getting it fixed!

16. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Try putting Safari into 32-bit mode. I did this — no changes to any extensions or plugins — and my mem usage dropped 50%-60%.

17. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Latest Safari 5 on a PPC G4 here, I cannot even break the 300MB on memory alloc on 10 tabs open, I have never looked at the MacBook though. But apparently, I am not on 64-bit, no need for it.

18. busterpenny macrumors newbie

Hi All - Thanks for the quick responses. The only extension we use with Safari is One Password. I use the same password manager on my MacBook Pro and no memory issues there. I'm beginning to think we have a iMac lemon. The Apple support reps kept saying "Your system is designed to work with 4 Gig of memory, it should run fine, etc" Which of course, ours doesn't run fine and slows down after a few days after we reset the system.

We probably restart the Mac once every 1-2 weeks, but again, didn't think we'd need to with this system.

In another post someone mentioned changing to 32 bit...I checked and it was already running in 32 bit...I'm going to try running it in 64 bit just for the heck of it.

Re: Resetting Safari...will try that out too, not sure what it does, but at this point, we'll try anything.

Still don't have appt set up yet with an Apple approved tech...will post back when/if we ever get someone to pay us a visit.

19. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Good grief aye, your imac is a strong computer- it should be very happy with the memory you have, and certainly shouldn't be struggling with browsing the internet!

Please post back with what you're trying and what results you're getting. Out of interest, in Activity Monitor are you getting significant page outs? Although it doesn't fit with what you've described, and for what its worth, the OS manages the memory so that if you've plenty spare the excess can be put into making the running programs work better (which is sensible, a nice big chunk of green pie chart is more a waste of RAM/money than making your system run better). Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

20. misfit356tsw macrumors regular

:rolleyes: Yep, love the browser but uses way to much memory. Had to upgrade from 1 gig to 2 gig to keep my Mini from caching to the hard drive all the time.

21. busterpenny macrumors newbie

Hi there - I currently have 60.3 MB of page outs. Not sure if that's a lot or not.
    Does someone have a good link or definition for all the memory types: Free (self explanatory), Wired, Active, Inactive, Used

22. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hello! This was posted a while back and I found it very useful

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342
    http://mac.appstorm.net/how-to/os-x/making-the-most-of-activity-monitor/

this was by someone a lot more knowledgable in the thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1050473&highlight=activity+monitor+ram
    and I found it made interesting reading. For what its worth though I'd say 60MB is a bit steep for what you described your usage as.

23. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I do realize that this post is a few weeks ago. But isn't Safari 5 an Intel only?

Also to the person that having troubles. Have you tried running Safari without using the extension? The extension may be the problem here. I don't know I don't use extensions.

Hugh

24. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Didn't help me :( Safari usually uses around 1-1.5 gb memory for me... will be buying 16gb memory soon though so hopefully wont be an issue anymore.

25. BearsFan34 macrumors regular

BearsFan34

Just to add to the "It's AdBlocker!" portion of this thread...

Saw Safari (10.6.6) go all the way up to 1.83GB of Active Memory used today. It's definitely a hog.