Safe to charge iPad overnight?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shortman, Mar 23, 2011.

1. shortman macrumors member

My iPad is usually around 30-50% after a day of use, so is it ok to charge overnight?

2. Aqua Bliss macrumors 6502

Yes, I do it nightly in a dock - haven't seen any degredation on other iOS devices by doing this.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

4. shortman thread starter macrumors member

5. PurpleSauce macrumors newbie

Batteries today have something similar to a regulator. Once it is charged it stops allowing a power supply to cycle through the battery. If you remember old old cell phones or even camcorders, those batteries would loose their full potential of a long life early on if the use would over charge it.
    Today, that issue has been fixed.

6. xraytech macrumors 68020

+1

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

May not be as important as it once was but I like to let rechargeable batteries run down to near 0% once a month or so.

8. flurffmeister macrumors member

This is still a good idea. http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

9. gracerella macrumors newbie

Is it ok to use my iPhone/Pod charger for the iPad? It's the same right?

10. flurffmeister macrumors member

It's ok to use it, but it's not the same. It will charge slower from the 5 watt adapters shipped/made to work with iPhones. The included 10 watt adapter will charge it much more quickly. Also, any charging accessory with the official "Made for iPad" stamp on it will also charge at this higher rate.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It'll work, but it'll charge much more slowly since the iPad prefers 10 watts, while the iPhone & iPod come with a 5 watt charger.

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yup! But it will charge more slowly without the 10W adapter. In fact you can charge your iPhone/iPod through the iPad adapter! It will charge even faster :)

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

It's totally safe. In the past, NiCd batteries practically required a 'ritual' to charge, which meant a full discharge and then a full charge, or eventually wouldn't hold a full charge.
    New batteries, like the ones used on iOS devices don't require to do the above, and unless you want to run out of batteries in the middle of the day, you should charge it at night. After the batteries are fully charge, it will stop charging, sop there's no risk of overcharging it.

14. leftPCbehind209 macrumors member

Why does the plug adapter thing get hot sometimes and not other times?

15. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

My screen is dirty, should I clean it or wait for iPad 3.

16. CIA macrumors 6502a

As mentioned above, once every month or so you should drain it to 0%, let it sit for an hour or so like that, then plug it in and let it charge up to 100%. At 100% let it stay on the charger for an extra hour or so (the icon inside the battery icon in the top corner of the screen will change from a bolt to a plug shape.

This is less these days to condition the battery, and more to reset the calibration software that let's you know that 25% or 50% charge really is at 25% or 50% charge.

I didn't do this on my iPhone 4 for about 6 months, then finally did. It shutdown at 0%, and I let it sit... About 2 hours later I picked it and hit the top power button before plugging it in. Lo and behold it booted up and stated 15% charge. I let that run down then did the full recharge overnight. The next day it was like a brand new phone, the battery lasted almost like it was new again. What I thought was a worn out battery was really just bad calibration.

17. xraytech, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

This subject has been hashed and rehashed to death.

18. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Maybe the black ones are ok, cause they are vampires and like charging at night, but the white ones are afraid of the dark. :rolleyes:

19. gracerella macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone for your responses! :eek: