Safe to upgrade to iTunes 9.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dozerrox, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS. Is it safe to upgrade to the newest iTunes that's just been released? I tried searching but didn't find anything relevant.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I would say yes, it is safe to upgrade. It was only released like an hour ago, right? If Apple allows it, why not update? [/sarcasm]

However, I like the certainty that I'm able to still shift+restore to a pwned firmware, so until the dev team says so, I'm staying put where I am. Same as every other iTunes update for like ever

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And where are you :) in iTunes? Just wondering if I missed something, since I'm at 9.0.3.

4. Dozerrox thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right, thank you. I'm on 9.0.3 and can't shift click to switch firmware anyway so hopefully it'll be alright.

I think I might wait a couple of days, just in case, but was checking to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks for your input!

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Don't know, probably the same. I'm not updating until MN or the dev team say it's ok.

UPDATE:

Oh my goodness, look at this! Nothing yet!
    http://twitter.com/musclenerd
    http://twitter.com/iphone_dev

And yes, I was definitely being facetious in my post above. You never ever ever ever ever want to update until their twitters say it's safe :)

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

7. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

from iH8sn0w's twitter - Those that wish to keep using blackra1n to boot or jailbreak 3.1.2, STAY AWAY from iTunes 9.1!!!

what about pwnage tool?

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Stay away if you have a JB phone PERIOD.

9. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

oh believe me, i learned my lesson after updating to 3.1 many many months ago. :p :) not even going to update itunes at all.

10. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

One less person who will come here saying "OMG i updated to 9.1 and my iphone wont sync.!!!!!!!"

11. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

it works fine its bs. people are over reacting. I just upgraded to 9.1 saw this thread and some others. Only place ive seen anyone say it really doesnt work is the engadget comments and those people are wacked out of their skull. I was going to revert back but I figured I'd try first. It backed up and synced my phone just fine no problems. I have a Jailbroken 3.1.2. 32GB 3GS

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

But he'll be drowned out by the ones who do. :)

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading the comments on engadget and saw some people saying it was just the new bootrom devices that weren't synching.

Lol at those people, hopefully it all works out

14. keypox macrumors member

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Newest Tweet is to just reboot after iTunes update for Macs and all is well. iTunes 9.1 install, then reboot recognized and synced perfectly with my 3GS, JB on 3.1.2, MacOS 10.6.3
    For PC's, still some concerns with Blackra1n and iTunes.

16. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I've got a 16gb 3g officially unlocked but jailbroken with a mac and windows...... do I need to worry or is it just 3gs?

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im on windows 7 works fine. however after I restarted it reinstalled my iphone in windows said it was ready to use and it showed up in itunes and synced fine. Im thinking apple redid that portion of itunes so itunes can see the ipad. the people who it wasnt working for probably didnt restart. didnt have the drivers for the phone reinstalled which means itunes didnt see it. probably has nothing to do with Jailbreaking whatsoever.

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh I always get that whenever I have updated iTunes

19. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Just updated and it syncs fine with my 3G (3.1.2).

20. moviecouple macrumors regular

The question then becomes, People that have a Jailbroken iPhone and are planing on getting the new iPad... do you need 9.1 to sync the new iPad?

Also on a side question, If I used blackra1n to Jailbreak my 3GS on a windows PC... and I then I use my Mac Book Pro to sync to iTunes 9.1, will I still have the problems?

21. MakX macrumors member

I will probably wait for iphone_dev or Musclenerd for confirmation but I have a 3GS (old bootrom) 3.1.3 jailbroken with Pwnagetool. MacBook, the version before Snow Leopard. Safe to go to 9.1 (and then reboot the computer I understand?)

22. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Jailbroken iPhone 2G working fine with iTunes 9.1 here.
    Don't forget to reboot the computer after installing iTunes, just to be sure.

23. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

9.1 works fine with my phone (see my signature for details). It did freeze when I tried to sync before rebooting, but post-reboot it synced fine.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced