Safest Backpack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hgp, Jun 18, 2007.

1. hgp macrumors newbie

My 15 in. MBP is on the way and I am looking to buy a backpack for college. I am worried that one of my textbooks is going to crush my MBP. Is there a backpack that has a sleeve that is reinforced with something rigid (such as plastic). I am currently looking at the Targus 15.4" Global Executive Backpack, but I am worried that it is going to be too small.

2. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

This is what I do:

InCase MBP sleeve
    Really nice North Face bag
    Put the books in first, then the laptop on the outside of them.

I had a targus bag, but I didn't like the fact that everyone knew I had a laptop in it.

3. newmacguy88 macrumors member

This may be random, but maybe a bag from Eddie Bauer. They have really high quality things. I got a bookbag that can be either a messanger bag or a bookbag and it comes with a separate compartment for a laptop. Also there is snapping straps on the outside of the laptop compartment for extra protection. EB is always having sales and marking the bags and stuff down, so I'd check it out. See if your mall has this store.

4. operator macrumors regular

The Brenthaven Duo has really good protection, but little room for textbooks.

5. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

6. coastertux macrumors regular

coachingguy...I bought a Brenthaven Fusion as well but I can't seem to fit that much stuff...am I missing something?

7. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Coastertux,

Have you unzipped the zipper? :) That made a HUGE difference.

I can get my MB, all the cables I can think of, a textbook or two and my planning portfolio in there. Or I replace the textbooks w/ folders of papers to correct.

I also use the pocket on the backside for folders as well.

Coachingguy

8. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Anyone have suggestions for bags that are attractive?:eek:

9. bams27 macrumors member

bams27

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I've never used one but I've been looking at Booq bags for college this fall. They're kind of expensive but they seem like they'd hold a lot of stuff and are well made.

11. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

12. hgp thread starter macrumors newbie

most of those are messenger bags, i think a backpack would be better

13. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

You could always try Booq Bags. They're very expensive but, in this case (HA), you get what you pay for. Very high quality materials/workmanship as well as great looking products. I recently purchased the Python XM [system] for my MBP and couldn't be happier with it.

14. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

15. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I'm about to get a Python XM (or XL, depending) [system] from booq bags. I personally haven't had a laptop to carry around extensively in the past, but my recommendation from collected info off various sources and common sense is to get a backpack, which is less conspicuous than a dedicated laptop bag = less chance of getting stolen by an opportunist, with a well-designed laptop sleeve than fits your specific model snuggly.

16. letswastetime macrumors regular

north face has some nice bags that have special pockets for computers. i will be starting college in august too and am planning on buying a north face bag soon, either the recon or the surge. putting the mbp in a sleeve and then in the bag should give it plenty of protection and extra space for school stuff.

17. giganten macrumors 6502a

18. brandon6684 Guest

I just keep my MacBook in a nice little padded and zipped sleeve, then put in any backpack or bag I want.

19. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

There is wisdom in his... word. Incase bags are very nice, and inexpensive.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

You honestly get what you pay for :D

I have a bbp bag, got it after someone else on this forum raved about his. Laptop compartment is separate from the rest of the bag and is top-loading and has water-resistant zipper (unbelievably useful). Strap converts from backpack to messenger bag and back to backpack whenever you want - a little bit weird to get used to, but definitely useful (and imo the backpack strap looks a lot nicer than the single strap for some reason, don't quite like how everything's just dangling around with the single strap, but meh, not much of an issue). Got a few people asking me about my bag at WWDC too :D Insanely useful for travelling, has a gazillion pockets for everything I possibly want to put in there. I just wish there was a way to divide the main compartment, but it's not a biggie. It's also fairly comfortable, although I end up being hunched over once in a while because it's fairly low-hanging.

I'm very much not a fan of the idea of using a sleeve - I had a couple, and they added so much thickness to the laptop that I just stopped using them. It was more convenient for me to have the laptop in a separate small bag than to have the twice as thick laptop with sleeve using up valuable space in my backpacks and messenger bags. A lot of bags also have pretty pathetic laptop compartments as well, so...

In addition to the bbp bag, I have some timbuk2 and crumpler bags I'd highly recommend. Laptop compartments for those weren't as nice as the bbp one, but still great bags.

21. cnybud macrumors member

cnybud

22. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

jansport laptop backpacks are awesome. check them out before you decide on buying anything else. i got myself one and i love it. lthough they're a bit pricy... mine cost 200 bucks.

23. coastertux macrumors regular

Yeah, I have upzipped the zipper...I still can only fit in my charger and a few notebooks.

24. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i got the stm evolution backpack and an incase sleeve. the backpack is amazing and has plenty of room for preipherals, it has a rain cover, and the added security of the incase sleeve makes it amazing. it is also super comfortable. it is available at the apple store for 99 bucks or 79 with educational discount. and it will fit up to 15 inch, so you're set

25. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

how about an oakley icon 2.0? it's got a compartment for laptop as well.

[​IMG]