Safest way to get a used phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwade32, May 7, 2011.

1. jwade32 macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for a new phone but do not want to get one through my carrier and get locked to it for two years. I've searched through ebay and craigslist but I'm afraid of getting a phone that has a bad ESN even though it claims to be "clean". Any suggestions on where to get a used phone? Is craigslist and ebay safe if I dig enough? I've also tried Newegg.com but that's the only site I know of.

Any help would be great!

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

eBay's actually relatively safe, for buyers. If the phone the seller provides you with has a bad ESN it's pretty easy to file a claim against them. With a Craigslist transaction your best option would be to call the network carrier with the ESN and phone before you hand over any cash.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can meet up with the person at a Verizon store and see if they'll confirm the ESN.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Yup. Do the deal at the phone store of your provider. You'll know right then and there if it's legit.

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

If the deal is being done from Craig's list then use a very public place for the transaction. My favorite locally is a McDonalds near a police station.