Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QEin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
So after weeks of looking and debating, I think I've decided.

Mac Mini Server, so with Quad core processors, turning off the server apps. upgrade Ram to 16gb and upgrade primary drive to 128gb SSD (all third party, obviously). Secondary drive can remain for media etc and all my apps can run off primary SSD for crazy fast loading and operating (case already ordered to turn left over drive in to external portable hard drive)

But I HATE the idea that a week later, Apple might bring out a better one.

I'm not planning on doing too much with it as my desktop, but I want to future proof it, make a machine I can still with for a good 3 years or so. I have no doubt this will be über powerful for everything I want, I just don't like the idea that if I wait I might have been able to get more.

Can't wait forever either as I need it for my new open university module.

Argh! Damn Apple!

What do we recon? Likelyhood of an update in next 8 week? As a percentage?

50%? 100% certainty? 10%, unlikely?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Im in the same boat!
The current one is more then enough for me, but knowing my luck a few weeks later (just after the return period ends) a newer one will come with better graphics, USB3 and Ivy Bridge!
I know they keep their value pretty well, but I'd still lose out a little by selling the old one first - hence Im determined to wait!! lol

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

Mac Mini Server, so with Quad core processors, turning off the server apps. upgrade Ram to 16gb and upgrade primary drive to 128gb SSD (all third party, obviously). Secondary drive can remain for media etc and all my apps can run off primary SSD for crazy fast loading and operating (case already ordered to turn left over drive in to external portable hard drive)

I'm not planning on doing too much with it as my desktop, but I want to future proof it, make a machine I can still with for a good 3 years or so. I have no doubt this will be über powerful for everything I want, I just don't like the idea that if I wait I might have been able to get more.

Argh! Damn Apple!

If you want the server wait. 2 reasons it is costly compared to the base model and the resale is not as good. Also go for a 240 or 256gb ssd when you do the drop in. Labor is the same and this is truly the case of bigger is better.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
The answer to these questions is always (ALWAYS!) the same:

Buy now if the current product serves your needs. Wait if it doesn't.

The release of a new Mac/camera/phone/refrigerator/widget does not, in any way, affect the abilities of your old Mac/camera/phone/refrigerator/widget.

So if you're buying a Mac Mini because you need it to perform specific tasks, then the only question you should be asking is: is the current Mac Mini sufficient to perform those tasks? If yes, then buy it. If not, then wait.

If, on the other hand, you always need the latest and greatest, then that's a different story....

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
South Yorkshire, England.
The answer to these questions is always (ALWAYS!) the same:

Buy now if the current product serves your needs. Wait if it doesn't.

The release of a new Mac/camera/phone/refrigerator/widget does not, in any way, affect the abilities of your old Mac/camera/phone/refrigerator/widget.

So if you're buying a Mac Mini because you need it to perform specific tasks, then the only question you should be asking is: is the current Mac Mini sufficient to perform those tasks? If yes, then buy it. If not, then wait.

If, on the other hand, you always need the latest and greatest, then that's a different story....

This prompted me to join instead of just lurking.

I've been pondering over getting a Mac Mini for a week or two, and recently have been worrying about Apple deciding to out a new Mac Mini once I've bought one.

I've done plenty of research, looking mainly at the base Mini running the games I play (CS:S, TF2 and StarCraft 2) at a decent rate, with even low(ish) graphics!

I've come to the conclusion that with 8gb RAM, the mini will meet my needs and I'll be buying one asap.

Thanks for the wise words. I may have waited months with no new release... time which could be spent learning how to use OSX!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
This prompted me to join instead of just lurking.

I've been pondering over getting a Mac Mini for a week or two, and recently have been worrying about Apple deciding to out a new Mac Mini once I've bought one.

I've done plenty of research, looking mainly at the base Mini running the games I play (CS:S, TF2 and StarCraft 2) at a decent rate, with even low(ish) graphics!

I've come to the conclusion that with 8gb RAM, the mini will meet my needs and I'll be buying one asap.

Thanks for the wise words. I may have waited months with no new release... time which could be spent learning how to use OSX!

Thanks again :)

I run the 2.5ghz i5 mini. I play SC2 a lot. I'm never the guy lagging.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
to be clear, the 2.5ghz model has a discrete gpu. I can't vouch for the integrated graphics model.

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
to be clear, the 2.5ghz model has a discrete gpu. I can't vouch for the integrated graphics model.

I knew about the dedicated GPU, but people on other sites I've seen are claiming the games I mentioned run so I'm happy! Will keep my windows machine just in case I should need it for gaming. I expect that's all the action it'll see!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I knew about the dedicated GPU, but people on other sites I've seen are claiming the games I mentioned run so I'm happy! Will keep my windows machine just in case I should need it for gaming. I expect that's all the action it'll see!

Keep the windows pc and on the mac add windows via bootcamp have the best of both worlds!

grouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2011
New York
wait. i have the desktop model at home and the server model at work - i'm very happy with the server model but not so much with the desktop. the only reason i don't swap my home model for the server is because the server model's graphics chipset is a bit sub-par for my needs. it can, however, power a 30" monitor :D

Dixi1801

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Keep the windows pc and on the mac add windows via bootcamp have the best of both worlds!

That sounds a great idea! I dont know if i'd bother with windows on a mac due to me having my hulking great tower with windows on at my desk!

wait. i have the desktop model at home and the server model at work - i'm very happy with the server model but not so much with the desktop. the only reason i don't swap my home model for the server is because the server model's graphics chipset is a bit sub-par for my needs. it can, however, power a 30" monitor :D

Oh I see! Is there a reason you're not keen on the desktop model specifically?

And that's good as I have a 32" TV I was wanting to use lol!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012

Argh! Damn Apple!

Wait for the server model to come back in the refurb store. If you spend $150 less, you won't feel so bad when the newer version comes out.

I did that a few months ago, when I thought a new version was "imminent." The fact that there hasn't been a new version yet just makes me feel even better about my purchase. :)

Also, I did some of my upgrades too, only 8GB so far but probably 16GB in the future. I installed a 256GB SSD.
All my media is on my second HDD, including my iOS device backups (which requires creating a symlink).

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Wait for the server model to come back in the refurb store. If you spend $150 less, you won't feel so bad when the newer version comes out.

I did that a few months ago, when I thought a new version was "imminent." The fact that there hasn't been a new version yet just makes me feel even better about my purchase. :)

Also, I did some of my upgrades too, only 8GB so far but probably 16GB in the future. I installed a 256GB SSD.
All my media is on my second HDD, including my iOS device backups (which requires creating a symlink).

The question you really have to ask yourself is this: given that you know with absolute certainty that a new model will eventually come out, how far in the future does that newer model release have to be such that you won't feel like you should have waited?

I suspect most people would wait one week. Fewer would wait one month, and almost no one would wait one year.

The point is that there will always be an argument for waiting. There will always be a newer model. You just have to keep telling yourself two things: first, that the newer model doesn't make the current model any worse; second, that the current model either does or does not do what you need.

The argument that waiting helps you to "future proof" the purchase ignores the opportunity-cost associated with waiting. That is, in the time you were waiting, you could have gotten work done with the computer that you didn't buy. The same argument could be used to justify waiting forever, at an obviously increased opportunity-cost.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island

I bought a Mac Mini in 2005 because I had come to the point where I needed a computer. I could (and still can) do most of my work at home. I am still using the same monitor and speakers, but I have replaced the original keyboard and mouse (both just once). In 2009 the hard drive and power supply on the original packed a sad.

Replacing them and getting new software was going to cost nearly half the price of a new Mini, so I got a new one because i needed one there and then.

Over three years on, I have just had the 2009 model upgraded with more RAM and Mountain Lion. It is working better now, and should be good for several more years. I am not worried about the latest tech. As long as the machine does what I bought it for, I am happy.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
As long as the machine does what I bought it for, I am happy.

This is exactly what everybody should base his buying opinion on. If your needs change, you'll have to buy another computer anyways, and if the current one is fast enough for what you need, it will be just as fast in some years.

However, I can understand everybody waiting - it's just one more thing in life to look forward to. ;)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Im in the same boat!
The current one is more then enough for me, but knowing my luck a few weeks later (just after the return period ends) a newer one will come with better graphics, USB3 and Ivy Bridge!
I know they keep their value pretty well, but I'd still lose out a little by selling the old one first - hence Im determined to wait!! lol

On the other hand the new Mac Mini probably won't have FireWire... Though I guess this isn't much of a loss these days.

Last edited:

QEin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I didn't wait. I got the base model and upped the RAM to 16gb.

First mac and I'm very happy. Work done on ipad instantly shown on mac, controlling iTunes from anywhere in the house. All this stuff can be done with PC I know, but it was all just easy with Mac, that's the key. Love it.

Oh, and why would anyone ever only have one display?

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
If an update happens this year it'll be incremental anyway. You'll get USB3 and the HD4000 graphics (and probably lose the discrete graphics), but overall they are not going to be that much faster than the current models.

The next *big* jump would be Haswell.

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
If an update happens this year it'll be incremental anyway. You'll get USB3 and the HD4000 graphics (and probably lose the integrated graphics), but overall they are not going to be that much faster than the current models.
HD4000 is integrated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.