Samsung 470 128gb?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DesignFusion, Aug 18, 2011.

1. DesignFusion macrumors member

Hi guys i have heard good things about the samsung 470, but is it worth £40 more compared to say a 120gb vertex 2 bigfoot? cheers. (Im looking for reliabilty ie want it to last).

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

From what I've read, the Samsung is super reliable, a good performer, and free of any bugs/issues. It's a top recommendation. Personally, I would chose it over any Sandforce drive (such as the Vertex) even at a premium.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

also samsung has a website that you can register the drie and get a bonus 3 month warranty total of 39 months.

I had a bad vertex drive 12 months ago it was a long replacement wait.
    I will not use them patriot or corsair for ssds. All sold bad ones to me that and were slow to replace

I was intel intel intel. There has been a bur with the new 320 series and I have a 600gb model cost me 1k. So for now even though it works no intels.

now I am samsung samsung samsung. I mod minis and make up fast 2 bay raid0s for users the samsung 64gb and 256gb have been perfect around 7 for 7 so far.

PS the only sandforce ssds to buy are from OWC.. They are very good with returns and service so for that alone if you really want a sandforce ssd get it from them.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro/

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

4. popcorn-in-sac macrumors member

Are you enabling Trim for your Samsung installs, or just relying on built-in garbage collection to address clean-up?

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

no trim.
    my usage of the ssd does not need trim.
    many users don't need trim with the ssd they use.

6. Chinamao macrumors newbie

Just wondering whether the samsung SSD uses sandforce controller as well.

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Samsung users their own controller, NAND, and firmware.