Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gawoods, Mar 14, 2014.

1. gawoods macrumors newbie

I messed up and ordered this drive for use in a Dell XPS notebook I have which I found out too late has the older eSATA connector that has a separate power connector on the board.

Can anybody say if this drive will work in my MacBook Unibody (2008)? Is there a special SSD for a Mac?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That drive will work just fine with your Macbook.

3. gawoods thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info I will try it tonight.
    :D

4. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I actually just tried this drive in my 2008 13" Aluminum MacBook and it in fact does not work, from what I'm reading it appears that the SATA speed is too fast for the MacBook to see the drive. If that isn't the case I'd be interested to hear how the OP got it working.

----------

So were you able to get it working? Want to make sure there's not something I'm doing wrong.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

SATA is backwards compatible, so that would not be an issue. A SATA III drive would work fine in a SATA I or II Mac. Perhaps you have a bad cable? Can you see the drive at all in Disk Util?

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

It's not the cable as the previous drive works fine, I swapped it back out and am able to access and install on the original drive. The SSD doesn't show up in Disk Utility at all.

I thought it was backwards compatible as well, but I've been doing some research and it seems like other have had a problem with this drive in older MacBooks as well. Still trying to find out more info, any ideas are appreciated.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have an external enclosure you can pop the SSD in and see if Disk Uitl can access it then?

There is a thread here with a user who reports the EVO works in his 2008. So they do work.

8. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I don't unfortunately.

In doing some more reading there are a number of people who seem to have had the issue with this drive, it seems like it may just be an incompatibility with the Nvidia MCP79 SATA controller in the MacBooks and this particular hard drive. That chipset was apparently kinda buggy.

The link you just found got it working though so go figure...

9. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Potentially relevant link: http://discussions.apple.com/message/24775643

I do have a PC here that I might try to connect the drive up to just to see if the drive does in fact work, don't know if there's any available bays though.

10. gawoods thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted you to know that the worked just fine in my 08 Macbook.;)

11. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

Good to know, thanks. Did you have to initialize the drive via USB before it was recognized?

12. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

So after getting a USB to SATA cable to initialize and format the drive, I was in fact able to get it working and installed Mavericks. So far so good.

Thanks for the help guys.