Samsung 840 Pro SSD Install + Magsafe Pull = Shutoff?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zerious, Apr 7, 2013.

1. zerious macrumors newbie

So recently I just installed my new Samsung 840 Pro SSD into my mid-2010 MBP... and hadn't pulled the Magsafe cable until just now - when I did, the entire machine shut itself off. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I've run a couple of forum searches, but haven't come across anything so far. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

For FYI, I utilized the following optimization guide:
    http://blog.alutam.com/2012/04/01/optimizing-macos-x-lion-for-ssd/

I additionally referenced:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1343864/...-pro-anything-to-do-trim-page-file-equivalent

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Check the connector for your battery. You may have either forgot to plug it back in, didn't plug it back in properly, or (worst case) did some damage when plugging it back in.

3. zerious, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

zerious thread starter macrumors newbie

@duervo I'll pull it back apart and check, but I never disconnected the battery, the magsafe LED shows different lights for the charge cycle and the battery icon in the gui up top-right registers the level of charge of the battery when it's on the power. Because of all these indicators, I think it might be a software issue based on the 'enhancements' I made in the command-line from the site I cited perhaps.

----------

@duervo Additionally, in the system information, the charge cycles for the battery is at 115 and it's listed as normal.

4. zerious thread starter macrumors newbie

Attempted an SMC reset to no avail, this seems more and more likely linked to a command-line attribute to me. Ideas?

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Restart on the Recovery partition (or another volume with a clean install) and check the behavior. That would indicate whether it was something corrupt in the SMC or PRAM, or an OS X issue.

Personally, I don't believe any of those recommendations will matter with current SSDs (except perhaps the HDD sleep option (off) and perhaps TRIM enable, depending on the make of the SSD). I didn't see anything in the scripts or terminal commands that could cause any issue with power management - the exception being pmset. Perhaps an incorrect configuration of the hibernate bits ? - that's an unknown.

Benchmarks: just don't run them constantly. Running one every so often isn't going to noticeably affect performance or longevity.

Local snapshots: They're usually small, and only occur hourly. It's up to you. If you spend a lot of time away from your Time Machine drive, the local backups could come in handy.

Hibernation: A lot of folks disable the hibernation write to speedup sleep. I don't believe one will really see a change in longevity of a modern SSD by avoiding the write out of RAM contents. It will speed up sleep, but if you left your machine sleeping for an extended period of time and the battery is fully discharged, you could possibly lose data when RAM loses power. Misconfiguration of hibernate could cause problems. As the man page said, leave it be.

Also (on the subject of hibernation), it's worth noting a couple of other points: first, the write out of RAM contents will happen much faster with a SSD, allowing the machine to sleep quicker. Second, without a spinning HDD, there isn't really a need to wait for the machine to sleep - it makes the sleep time kind of moot (probably the reason the rMBP lost its sleep indicator, though I do miss the warm-fuzzy it gave).

Off the top of my head, the noatime mod seems like a bad idea. I haven't researched this one, but it's likely there are scenarios where the access time might be used.

Moving your user folder to a HDD kinda defeats the purpose having the SSD.

The RAM disk mod is ok, but the files aren't accessed all that often and are very small. I suppose an error in the RAM disk related scripts could cause odd behavior, but again, it doesn't seem like it would matter what power state it was in.

Sudden motion sensor: Probably moot, but unless you're using it for something else, disabling it should be fine (some current models, including 15" rMBP, don't ship with an SMS.

HDD Sleep: I also read that some SSDs could have a problem. For my wife's 2008 MBA, upgraded with an OWC SDD, I left it disabled - especially since she doesn't use external HDDs. On my previous MBP, an Early 2009 17", I also left it disabled, but mostly because of my chain of external HDDs (I had a Crucial M4 512 GB in it that ran fine without any system mods).