Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung has announced a 120 GB 1.8" Hard Drive, suitable for use in Apple's full-sized iPods. Currently, Apple's high-end iPod features an 80 GB drive.

Seagate also offers a 120 GB 1.8" Hard Drive, and Toshiba currently maxes out at 100 GB in the 1.8" variety.

Some recent rumors have indicated that Apple may be toying with the idea of going to an all-flash based lineup, however such a move would make high-capacity iPods impossible at a reasonable price point, even despite plummeting flash prices.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
With Apple's increasing focus on video and the possibility of an iPod refresh with an iPhone-like interface, you'd think they'd want to keep the highest capacities possible at the top of their lineup.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
It has been a while since the latest refresh... but I wish they would go with flash based drives.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
It has been a while since the latest refresh... but I wish they would go with flash based drives.

Flash is cool, and will certainly be the future. However, for now, HD based large capacities are the way to go... anything over 16GB of flash is just too expensive right now. A 120GB full-sized iPod would be a nice update.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
80GB Is good enough for me as it is - I don't even have that much music!
But this is nice, this is pretty cool for those who need it.

What I'd like to see is a flash-based full-size iPod, somewhere between 30-60GB - all flash based. Then, that'd be sweet!

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Flash is cool, and will certainly be the future. However, for now, HD based large capacities are the way to go... anything over 16GB of flash is just too expensive right now. A 120GB full-sized iPod would be a nice update.

Yeah, I see what your saying. I guess I'll just hope for larger capacities in the smaller lines.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
if we are to see the true video iPod with touchscreen controls, 120GB harddrive will be a need because a screen like iPhone has can show a much higher quality videos which automatically will take much larger files.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This will be really nice for the next Video iPod. (I assume it will be similar to the iPhone in terms of screen/formfactor, but trades phone/messaging functionality for a hard drive.)

belovedmonster

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
Isn't Leopard supposed to be introducing some feature that will make it possible (easier?) to sync up your entire computer on an iPod and take your settings and documents with you.

How about that then? A new 120GB iPod that makes more of a feature of its portable storage abilities. Not only do you take your entire music collection around with you, but you also take you entire computer. All your internet bookmarks, documents, everything... Make it sync with Windows and OSX in a super simple way only Apple can do.

It would make sense that the iPod move from being a music and media storage device to just a straight ahead storage device.

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Room for more videos

I think it would be great for Apple to include the 120GB harddrive into the next iPod. Just think with that much space you could carry around a couple of seasons worth of TV shows, Justice League season 1-2 and Justice League Unlimited season 1-2 :eek:

Portable video is where the future is at and we will need more harddrive space to carry around more videos.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It seems to me that this would make the most sense:

- True Video iPod, when introduced, will be HD based with 120GB HD at the top end. It will have a new form factor and interface is similar to the iPhone.

- Other iPods will be Flash memory based with capacities up to 32GB. These iPods are similar in shape to the current Nano.

- The Shuffle remains as the only iPod in the line up without a display.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
I currently have a video 60gb, but if they release a 120gb iPod I'll have to order one when I get my 20" iMac sometime this year...

Gimme gimme gimme 120gb iPod! :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Isn't Leopard supposed to be introducing some feature that will make it possible (easier?) to sync up your entire computer on an iPod and take your settings and documents with you.

How about that then? A new 120GB iPod that makes more of a feature of its portable storage abilities. Not only do you take your entire music collection around with you, but you also take you entire computer. All your internet bookmarks, documents, everything... Make it sync with Windows and OSX in a super simple way only Apple can do.

It would make sense that the iPod move from being a music and media storage device to just a straight ahead storage device.

If Apple do go with ZFS instead of HFS+ for leopard (google it) then your ipod could be a simple extension of your everyday computer's HD rather than an extra volume (as I understand it).

orbital

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
Make the iPhone just that much thicker and drop that baby in it
that would make it the awesomest phone on earth!

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I can't imagine ever needing that much capacity...but it makes the question of having your entire collection available almost meaningless. I mean, how many folks have an iTunes library over 120 GB?

What would be nice would be if it had powerful batteries and a high RPM so that the iPod itself could be used as a boot volume and we could always have our computers available.

EDIT: Looks like I should have read all of the posts...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I can't imagine ever needing that much capacity...but it makes the question of having your entire collection available almost meaningless. I mean, how many folks have an iTunes library over 120 GB?

Just wait 'til all your films in HD need to be stored on your ipod. You'll be screaming out for that capacity then :)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
A size bump without a full screen touch screen is a waste of an update. The screen on the video isn't big enough and was fine to get the product going, but when the iPhone was announced, it made no sense to do anything with the iPod that didn't involve a true video iPod.

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
I agree there is no need for a larger capacity player for music alone, but I use my (60GB) iPod to back up all my photos (20GB).

So a 120GB model would be useful to backup your whole Mac hardrive.

Ditto - wish the iPhone had more than the measly 8GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.