Samsung Announces 'Bixby 2.0' Designed for Smart Home Products Like Refrigerators and TVs

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today announced the second-generation version of its Bixby voice assistant, seven months after Bixby was first unveiled ahead of the launch of the Galaxy S8.

According to Samsung, Bixby 2.0 is a "fundamental leap forward for digital assistants" and a "bold reinvention of the platform," designed with the aim of making Bixby available on "any and all devices."

Bixby 2.0 will be available on smartphones, TVs, refrigerators, home speakers, and other connected technology products. Bixby 2.0 will be "open," allowing developers to choose how users interact with Bixby in their services.

Samsung says Bixby 2.0 features enhanced natural language capabilities to support more natural commands and complex processing, so it can "really get to know and understand" who you are and who members of your family are.

Bixby, a Siri competitor, was designed to be deeply integrated within apps, differentiating it from other AI-based assistants like Siri and Cortana. Samsung ran into trouble with Bixby early on, though, and was not able to include the assistant in the English versions of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ due to performance issues.

While Bixby performed well in Korean, its English voice recognition capabilities lagged behind, and so Bixby was not added to the Galaxy S8 and S8+ models in the United States until July, three months after the devices launched.

Galaxy S8 owners have complained that Bixby can be confusing and frustrating to use, and a lack of enthusiasm for the feature has even caused Samsung to implement a feature that allows the dedicated Bixby button on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Note 8 to be disabled.

Bixby was built using technology Samsung acquired from Viv, an AI assistant that was developed by some of the creators originally responsible for Apple's Siri.

Samsung is launching a private beta program with the Bixby SDK, available for select developers.

Article Link: Samsung Announces 'Bixby 2.0' Designed for Smart Home Products Like Refrigerators and TVs

2. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Seems like Bixby and Microsoft Paperclip were made for each other.

4. mariusignorello macrumors 65816

5. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

6. Fassteddie, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017

Fassteddie macrumors newbie

Fassteddie

What the "F" Apple? Step it up with Siri! Thank you! We'll be waiting.

7. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

This is the problem with Samsung, they always announce new tech that simply isn't ready.

"Bixby, blow up my Samsung"

8. kingpushup macrumors regular

Do all refrigerators and TV remotes come with a new big side button? Or is that already ‘in the mail’? /s

9. 69Mustang, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017

69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Nope. Nope. Nope. Let people remap that dang button.:mad: Sammy, you really don't need an option for every Google service. Samsung Pay? Yeah, that's great. Really great. Murders Android Pay... murders all Pay's actually. Bixby? Give it the Elsa treatment: Let it go.

edit: Opinion as it relates to me. YMMV

10. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Tried it on my S8, didn't like it (it wasn't good enough).

But with every major update, I'll give it a whirl - competition is good for consumers.

11. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

A 2.0 version only a few months after the first one?

Riiiiiight

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Hey Juli. According to multiple sources, Bixby is based on S Voice (which explains a lot actually:oops:) and not Viv. This Bixby 2.0 might however (most likely, imo) contain some Viv magic. Samsung Mobile's CTO spoke to Wired about it back in July.

Injong Rhee graciously admits the initial failings of Bixby. "The early version of this may not be completely perfect," he says, going on to underline that Viv tech will eventually come to the digital assistant, but in time. "We look forward to leveraging Viv’s technology to help drive the next generation of AI platforms, including Bixby, in our future products. We believe that taking the time to get this right is the correct approach, and have first focused our efforts on building a solid foundation for Bixby."

"Our software provides the foundation for Bixby, Viv Labs’ technology will be used for third-party expansion. Viv has developed a fundamentally new kind of AI - one that will help us usher the next generation of virtual assistants. Its technology is highly scalable, open, and smarter than today’s rule-based machine learning models, which will give developers a more capable AI," added Rhee. -
    Wired

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I'm glad they finally let us simply disable the damn button with the last update. I would like a real remap option, but I'm ok with disabling it.
    Bixby itself isn't all that bad. It's not as polished as Google's assistant, but it works better than Siri.

14. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

15. Soccertess macrumors 65816

Siri is pretty useless, sure it recognizes the words, but it can't do anything. I always get... I'm sorry, I can't do that yet.

And the search results for Siri are awful. I find my self opening the chrome browser to use their search function as Siri's search result JUST SUCK!

16. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

This does poke at something that has been at best, only partially functional since its release...SIRI. This is the worst Apple product there is...period. If Bixby works as well as in the commercial, then kudos to Hamstrung. But from all accounts, it does not. My question is..why not? Apple has had 6 years to improve SIRI. Yet it is still crap. Is it now part of BEATS? Why can't tech companies get voice assistants to the point where "it just works". Coz right now....:(

17. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I am not a fan of any voice assistants, but I can't imagine this being much better than what has been released already.

18. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Typical Samsung, always throwing crap at the wall hoping some of it sticks.

19. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

For a minute I thought that this article was about Bixby, I was mistaken…

20. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Bixby is amazing if you use it how it is met to be used. Much better than Siri.......

21. Uofmtiger macrumors 68020

Uofmtiger

It’s a competitor to Siri? How do I get it to work with Apple Music, Apple Watch, and CarPlay?

22. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

When will Apple release Siri 2.0 ;-) still waiting years later

23. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

You mean if you ignore the things it can’t do but only use the ones it can? Sounds pretty amazing. /s

24. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Each of the assistants has a different strength, and what is needed is interoperability. Google is better for search. Cortana is better for planner integration. Alexa is better for shopping. Bixby is better for device functions. Siri... not better at anything.

Once I realized Bixby's thing was device functions I've been using it and liking it. Like I can hit the button and say "take a selfie" and it does it. You can also create multi step functions. This is like a voice macro engine for the device. It would be great if you could use any one assistant, and if they didn't know how to do something they could ask the other. I believe that Microsoft and Amazon are working on this.

25. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Yeah because Google assistant takes care of the rest. Bixby actually knows your device and can do things like change the settings, turn on Bluetooth etc.