Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung today announced it will be hosting an event on Wednesday, February 20 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, with the media invitation teasing new Galaxy S10 smartphones.

samsung-invite-2019-800x450.jpg
Samsung's event invite

The Wall Street Journal today reported that Samsung plans to announce three new Galaxy S10 models along with an all-new foldable smartphone dubbed the "Galaxy Fold" at the event, with a simultaneous keynote in London. A fourth model with 5G network support will allegedly be released later in the spring.

Rumors point towards Samsung unveiling a lower-end Galaxy S10 Lite with a 5.8-inch display, Galaxy S10 with a 6.1-inch display, and Galaxy S10+ with a 6.4-inch display. The devices are expected to be released in March as usual.

Samsung typically unveils its Galaxy S smartphones at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which takes place February 25-28 this year. Samsung reportedly decided to move up its announcement since Chinese smartphone maker Huawei plans to introduce a competing foldable smartphone at the trade show.

Leaks suggest Galaxy S10 models will feature a so-called "hole-punch" display with a small cutout for the front camera instead of a notch. More cameras are also expected across the lineup, with up to a four-lens rear camera and dual-lens front camera expected on at least one Galaxy S10+ variant.

galaxys10wild.jpg
Alleged photo of Galaxy S10 via Evan Blass

Galaxy smartphones are one of the biggest rivals to the iPhone, which is also expected to gain a triple-lens rear camera in 2019. Apple is unlikely to switch to a hole-punch display, however, due to the various sensors required for Face ID.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

Samsung today announced it will be hosting an event on Wednesday, February 20 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, with the media invitation hinting at new Galaxy S10 smartphones.

galaxy-s10-invite-800x521.jpg

Samsung's event invite via The Verge

The Wall Street Journal today reported that Samsung plans to announce three new Galaxy S10 models along with an all-new foldable smartphone dubbed the "Galaxy Fold" at the event, with a simultaneous keynote in London. A fourth model with 5G network support will allegedly be released later in the spring.

Rumors point towards Samsung unveiling a lower-end Galaxy S10 Lite with a 5.8-inch display, Galaxy S10 with a 6.1-inch display, and Galaxy S10+ with a 6.4-inch display. The devices are expected to be released in March as usual.

Samsung typically unveils its Galaxy S smartphones at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which takes place February 25-28 this year. Samsung reportedly decided to move up its announcement since Chinese smartphone maker Huawei plans to introduce a competing foldable smartphone at the trade show.

Leaks suggest Galaxy S10 models will feature a so-called "hole-punch" display with a small cutout for the front camera instead of a notch. More cameras are also expected across the lineup, with up to a four-lens rear camera and dual-lens front camera expected on at least one Galaxy S10+ variant.

galaxys10wild.jpg

Alleged photo of Galaxy S10 via Evan Blass

Galaxy smartphones are one of the biggest rivals to the iPhone, which is also expected to gain a triple-lens rear camera in 2019. Apple is unlikely to switch to a hole-punch display, however, due to the various sensors required for Face ID.

Article Link: Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Why is their still a chin on the phone. I still see bezels.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So when the Galaxy Fold is introduced at a price of $1,500 or so, will Samsung fans be upset that they "used to be able to afford the top of the line Galaxy and now Samsung has priced me out"?
Well that product will be targeted for a specific group of nerds, not much different from myself. I'm always excited to see things like this that should push the industry forward.

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
So when the Galaxy Fold is introduced at a price of $1,500 or so, will Samsung fans be upset that they "used to be able to afford the top of the line Galaxy and now Samsung has priced me out"?

The difference is samsung offfers a lot more OTHER choices than apple does. from cheap to expensive, from small to big.

No notch, no buy

Please tell us you’re joking. Anyone buying a phone BECAUSE it has that stupid notch needs to be comitted to the apple coolaid insane asylum.

Last edited by a moderator:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'm not against the idea of a foldable smartphone, but it would be either too thick when folded or really too thin when fully opened. I don't think it is easy to find the sweet spot and it may take years before that kind of smartphone is good enough to be a success.

Mc0

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2017
I’d rather have a bezel as thick as the one found on iPhone XR than have that punch hole design. Imagine watching movies with that distracting hole.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Can't wait to see them try a foldable phone with buggy software and zero real world benefits...then quietly kill it in 18 months.

Samsung: Throw something out and see if it sticks.

Reactions: diego

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
I’d rather have a bezel as thick as the one found on iPhone XR than have that punch hole design. Imagine watching movies with that distracting hole.

I got a better idea. Watch that movie on an actual TV or in a movie theater, and use the phone for things a phone is better suited for.
Samsung: Throw something out and see if it sticks.

Apple: Throw a keyboard out to the public and see if keys stick.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.