Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019.

1. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Once again, if iPhone users want a similar aesthetic, I've come up with a solution:

[​IMG]

2. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Sammy has you covered there too. ;):p:D Sammy W2019
    [​IMG]

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Their offerings are just as boring as iPhone..

Smart phones yawn
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Bravo my friend

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Mobile phones competed to get smaller so they were easier to carry around. Then they got bigger to fit larger screens. Separate the device size from the screen size by folding/rolling the screen and mobile phones can get smaller again. Hopefully by the time I absolutely have to replace my SE.

5. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Samsung phones are anything but boring.

6. lenard macrumors 6502

No you don’t....

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I get it. My post was more a dig at Apple fans that seem as though they would prefer Apple to limit progress in order to keep the price of the "flagship" at the $650 level. $1,000 phones cost a lot because they cost a lot to build.

I know, but it's not like Apple only offers $1,000 phones. They have options that start at $450. Yes, they are older phones, but it's not like the mid-tier options from other vendors are brimming with the latest tech either.

8. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Really? Please tell me what’s so thrilling about them?

9. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

The amount you can do on them are endless. Using the note 9 with my Xs max it’s quite amazing the amount you can do on the note compared to the max. Both great in their own right but iPhones are quite boring in comparison

11. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I'll be interested to see these in real life. My initial reaction is that a phone that is half as tall and twice as fat (when folded) doesn't solve any of my problems.

12. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Haha great reference, ironically enough the only positive quote in that article came from a Macrumors user.

13. gaximus macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it'll look cool with the cutout, and give android fans some bragging rights. but its essentially the same thing as a notch, since you can't use the pixels above it, they might as well not be there. It does help with the illusion of having edge to edge, which is what the notch does, but if they can't make the chin the same size as the rest of the bezel then it is completely useless. Just make a forehead the same size as the chin and hide the camera in there, Then you have symmetry and a better looking phone.

14. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

So when watching fullscreen video or fullscreen game, you'll always see a dark dot in a corner? Will be interesting to see if that's more annoying or noticeable than the notch.

15. swm macrumors regular

this folding screen nonsense is spreading too fast. we're nowhere near that. manufacturers have issues to produce a display that is resistant to accidental shock/puncturation/physical abuse. now they will just turn around and deliver something similar in quality and yet resistant to continuous abuse. hell, flexible PCBs are here for quite a while, and the most common issue in laptop screens is that these thin ribbons develop contact issues - and they just have stupid basic copper traces on them...

fold it a couple of time, then you might be able to rip it in half, and now you have 2 phones.
    literally a 2 in 1 device.

16. mrochester macrumors 68000

But surely if you're not interesting in doing any of these 'endless' things then the Samsung phone is just as boring as the iPhone?

17. td2243 macrumors 6502

Say what you may, but at least Samsung is making products intentionally designed to bend.

18. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Come on Samsung, bring back the flat phone. This obsession with curved (and now folding) screens is annoying, I returned the Note 9 over it. Either that, or make a screen that’s actually truly fully and completely scratch resistant so I don’t have to worry about a screen protector.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

And I’m not opposed to it either. Who knows what will happen in the future given how dynamic the tech industry always is. [But my favorite flip phone for the record, was the Motorola Razr. Incredibly thin and hardly noticeable in the pocket.]

20. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Specifics though ? Really, I would love to know specifically what makes the phone so exciting ?

If the options are truly endless what makes the experience so unique ?

21. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

The S-pen. Being able to use it in VR headset. Dex. Split screen, edge apps.

22. Awesom-0 macrumors member

Awesom-0

Or the Microsoft courier before that It's not a new idea overall but actually folding a scr
    Zero benefit in having a screen that can double in size

23. Sevanw macrumors 65816

Sevanw

Bone crushing, world dominating innovation and tech that other OEMs have no choice but to buy and put in their own devices. Fact.

24. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

But the notch is still there.

25. mrochester macrumors 68000

From my experience there are a lot of people who truly believe that manually managing media via a file manager, changing their phone icons and installing apps from outside the store is 'exciting'.