Samsung Announces Galaxy S10 Event on February 20 in San Francisco, May Include Foldable Smartphone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2019 at 7:30 AM.

1. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

some will say samsung is the innovator here with the first mass produced foldable display but my iphone 6 plus begs to differ.
    kim put it in her back pocket. sat down. u can imagine how that went.

not so good for my iphone. no damage to her assets tho which i guess is a plus.

moral of the story. apple did it first.

2. mrochester macrumors 68000

Probably an obvious point, but surely those things only make a phone 'exciting' if you want and use them?

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well no Apple didn’t because Samsung showed off prototypes for bendable displays before the 6 plus came out.

4. Kanyay Suspended

Kanyay

i said mass produced, homegirl.

5. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Yes. The same can be said about any phone even the iPhone.

6. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

..ermm apart from having a screen that can double in size?

7. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Blasted! Foiled again! And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you, Shanghaichica! :p

8. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

It seems Samsung’s training is now complete…
    Maybe with this, Samsung have finally got over their slavish devotion to copying Apple, and their New Years’ resolution is to create new products only.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

A perfect, tight, clamshell fold with no crease in the screen would be amazing. I don’t know if that’s possible. Even then you’d need a separate external screen for at a glance checks to maintain the convenience of current designs.

10. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

As opposed to iPhone? Late to OLED, water resistance, etc. What's exciting about it again? I can use 100% Samsung pay because it sends out a magnetic pulse like a credit card, a opposed to iPhone. Not to mention the endless amount of customization etc.

11. Baumi macrumors regular

Well, they could mean that they're announcing 10 different Galaxy S9.x devices… :D

12. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

YouTube is your friend. Find everything you need to know with how much more you can do on these devices

13. Morgenland, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:34 PM

Morgenland macrumors 6502

Morgenland

FYI: It's not the future.

If you really have an SE, you would know that your hands are just right for it and that hands do not grow automatically with larger displays (whether foldable or not).

14. timber macrumors 6502

The split screen functionality is pretty neat, it is more than multitasking, it is more like multiscreen in a PC/MAC when you run two screens with whatever you want. And it is quite intuitive to call up.
    Edge apps are also quite useful, faster than having some apps in control panels.
    The others I don't really care but that is the thing with having options... To each its own.

15. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

This blog really has become one mostly about phones. It's time for new products, Apple.

16. Mansu944 macrumors 6502

OMG, live a little you stick in the mud.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

Correct. It's ok to think bendable/foldable screens are a cool idea but NOT buy into the first generation. I don't see what's so bad about saying, "Ok, that's a cool new technology, but I trust Apple more with its implementation and prefer their products, so I'll wait to see what they do before I decide what I really want."

For me, there are some major red flags with what Samsung is doing here: 1) They wouldn't actually show anyone the device last year, just a dimly lit shadow of someone folding it and unfolding it. You can say it's for competitive reasons all you want, but it would have been pretty hard for someone to copy that in just a few months. 2) If the rumor is true that they're launching this thing earlier than they meant to to beat Huawei to the punch, I can't see that working out well for them. Rushing stuff like this is not beneficial. 3) In a saturated smartphone market that's contracting for ALL manufacturers right now, where people are balking at paying $750 for a new smartphone, I'm not sure what makes Samsung think people will pay $1500 for one just because it folds in half.

I'm 100% ok with Samsung launching this thing and seeing what happens. If the tech is cool (I'm not too sure if it really will be) and the software is crap (I'm pretty sure it will be, based on how rushed this all seems), then Apple can learn lessons from that and run with the idea but in a way that makes me want to buy into it. If it all sucks, Apple will never make one, and Samsung just did a market test for them. It's a win win.

18. iop macrumors regular

Am i a bad person for thinking phones should have removable plastic bezels?

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I cannot imagine how they solved the problem of a hinge for the display. Perhaps it is two displays are so closely juxtaposed they appear to be one screen? In any case, moving parts tend to be the first ones to go.

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

In an elegant way? WITH software integration that works? That is practical? AND a nice form factor?

Color me skeptical.

21. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Ya, this is our line of thinking. It's not like we are writing about Samsung frequently either. This is an event announcement. A pretty big deal.

22. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

All that is well and good but people here still forget Samsung can launch a phone and it can be a disaster. Life goes on Samsumg still makes TVs, fridges, bulldozers, oil rigs etc etc.

Apple launches a new iPhone that becomes a disaster; well it's game over..

23. spiderman0616 macrumors 68040

spiderman0616

True—that’s why Apple is willing to sit a generation out. If foldable screen tech was truly ready and capable of creating a great experience, Apple would be a lot closer to using it.

24. TComm macrumors member

25. sledgehammer89 macrumors regular

sledgehammer89

Your site was hacked, I'm on GalaxyRumors!