Samsung Appeals to U.S. Supreme Court in Last Effort to Avoid $548 Million Apple Payment

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today asked the United States Supreme Court to hear its latest appeal in its ongoing patent battle with Apple, reports Re/code. In August, following a rejection from the U.S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, Samsung said it would take its case to the Supreme Court by November, and it has now followed through with those plans.

In its appeal, which also includes a wider criticism on patent law, Samsung says the jury was not provided with enough information to understand the patents, a problem it says afflicts many design patent cases.

[​IMG]
    Samsung has already agreed to pay a $548 million settlement to Apple, with the full sum expected to be paid by today, but should the Supreme Court rule in Samsung's favor, there is a clause that would require Apple to pay back the money.

Apple and Samsung have been battling over patent infringement issues since 2012, when a jury ruled Samsung willfully violated multiple Apple patents, resulting in $1 billion in damages. Since then, Samsung has been fighting the ruling. Over the course of several appeals and a partial retrial, Samsung has gotten the damages reduced to the $548 million total.

Samsung's appeal to the Supreme Court is a last ditch effort. Should the Supreme Court refuse to hear its appeal or rule in Apple's favor, Samsung will not be able to recoup the $548 million it is paying to Apple. Samsung could have some difficulty convincing the Supreme Court to look at its case, as the court is notoriously selective about the cases it agrees to hear.

Article Link: Samsung Appeals to U.S. Supreme Court in Last Effort to Avoid $548 Million Apple Payment

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I thought they agreed to this recently...?

3. musika macrumors 65816

musika

4. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Their next phone is rumored to have Force Touch! Samsung, you crack me up!

6. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Just pony up the cash big S, we need more money dumped into Maps and Car. :p

7. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

8. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

You can try Samsung. You know you will fail.

Next!

9. Norbs12 Suspended

Norbs12

Not a lawyer so I'm not sure if it's possible but would be very hilarious if the Supreme Court ended up increasing how much Samsung had to pay.

10. 2457282, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

2457282 Suspended

The truth is that the patent law is a mess and needs fixing. The truth is that this is not the case the supreme court will use to fix things.

Write the check and move on. I hear a fat lady warming up.

11. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

At what point are they just paying more in lawyer costs than to just pay the reduced sum? When it was in the billions it was something to holler about, but now I feel like they are paying just about that much in lawyer fees.

12. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

Im sure they will settle something its the press that they want for more advertisement on both parties.

13. AFPoster macrumors 68000

My two year old looks at Samsung devices and says "iPhone", we know Samsung isn't original or intuitive. Total thiefs!

14. samcraig macrumors P6

In other news - a company that lost a lawsuit is doing what any other company that lost a lawsuit is doing and fighting it until there's no other option. Not surprise here.

15. 0007776 Suspended

Yep ever since apple copied Samsung's screen sizes. Every company steals from each other so I don't see Samsung being able to prove that they didn't and getting off.

Our patent system needs some major reforms, but this isn't a case that seems likely going to make the Supreme Court to make any changes to it.

16. AppStoreNerd macrumors member

oh wait so now force touch is patented by Apple?? oh you crack me up

17. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

It's a good thing the US Supreme court doesn't have anything more important to consider.

They might want to ask them to pre-emtively rule on the upcoming lawsuit for Samsung's force touch while they're at it.

18. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Apple has had cases go to the Supreme Court before - has Samsung?

19. dasmb macrumors 6502

Korean Company Appeals to U.S. Supreme Court to Assert its Right to Violate Patents of U.S. Companies.

20. Bilbo63 macrumors 6502

Screen sizes? Are you flipping serious? Since the birth of displays, there has been a multitude of screen sizes. Samsung didn't invent different screen sizes. Screen size is not an invention or a technological breakthrough. It's exactly what it says a SIZE. If the patent system was fixed properly Samsung would owe a whole hell of a lot more. Samsung didn't invent "Monkey See, Monkey do" but they damn well perfected it.

21. nfl46 macrumors 604

Here you go: http://samsungcopiesapple.tumblr.com/

Have fun.

22. zubikov macrumors member

Samsung is spitting in the face of intellectual property rights and ethics, the very same foundation that helped build all of this and enabled them to grow into a world power. They're doing this to mock and demoralize the US patent system; which no matter what anyone says is still the strongest in the world. It's a vile, disgusting and shameless firm, infested with rotten management practices and blatant disregard for anything but short term profits.

23. 0007776 Suspended

It's as much copying as having a rectangular phone with a touch screen covering the entire front was samsung copying apple.

24. sc4rf4c3, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015

sc4rf4c3 macrumors regular

25. tshrimp, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I work for a company that files for patents all the time, and we are surprised at what Apple is able to patent when compared to other companies. You are correct, our patent system needs major reforms. I might not like Samsung, but I do sometimes feel Apple gets a bias in their favor when it comes to patents.

I also found this.

Not sure if this is old news, but it is a few months old.