Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has placed an order to Samsung Display for 60 million OLED panels for this year's iPhone 8, in addition to the 100 million units reportedly ordered by Apple last April. If the numbers are accurate, today's news confirms the display maker as Apple's main source of OLED screens for the next-generation iPhone (via The Korea Herald).

iphone8conceptthadeubrandao-800x420.jpg

According to those familiar with the display market, Samsung will officially supply around 80 percent of the display panels in the iPhone 8. The company still didn't confirm the Apple-related OLED news, with a Samsung spokesperson saying "we can't officially comment on anything related to the order."
"Samsung takes pride in small OLED panels," said an industrial source familiar with the matter. "While LG is enhancing its OLED business for TVs, Samsung is likely to focus on mobile OLED panels this year, helped by the Apple orders."
The iPhone 8 is expected to include an OLED screen as a way for Apple to make the device thinner and include an edge-to-edge design with various features -- like Touch ID -- integrated directly into the screen. Apple is believed to launch three total new iPhones this year, two of which will be basic updates to the iPhone 7, referred to as the "iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus," while the third "iPhone 8" will include the OLED display and more drastic design changes.

Article Link: Samsung Will Supply Apple With a Total 160 Million OLED Panels for iPhone 8

The scale at which Apple operates is astounding.

Can you imagine Apple dropping the ball in any one small area for a particular iPhone? If the puzzle pieces don't fall into place just right. If there is a component that isn't able to be manufactured at scale? Or an faulty part that either requires a full recall (a la note7) or occurs so late that the entire phone needs to be delayed 4-6 months? There are so many parts it's just crazy.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Eagerly waiting for this special iPhone (8)

No surprises there....it will be again the best ever :)
Apple has large expectations for iPhone8, and demand for it will likely far outstrip sales of the lower end, scaled-down models. And if the past is any indication, there'll still be limited availability for weeks, if not months.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Kudos to Samsung for truly being the innovator that forces all others to step up their game. Where would mobile display tech be if it wasn't for Samsung pushing the tech to the edges? Apple will most likely offer OLED panels on the "premium" version of the iPhone. And then market it that way while charging a ridiculous price for it. Meanwhile Samsung has OLED panels on their cheaper phones as well as their flagships.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Meanwhile other sites are reporting it as 7s, not 8...
All names are speculative. Some sites are calling it the iPhone X.

As weird as it would be for Apple not to release an "s" phone as they have every other year since the beginning of time (or 2009), it would also be bizarre to release a "iPhone 7s" that looks so different from the iPhone 7.

Either way, someone's world is going to be rocked in the fall.

Reactions: iPadCary and Sevanw

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder why Apple have decided to go with OLED, also this rumour about a wrap around display, I hope they don't copy Samsung'a Edge models, from what I've heard of people talking is that the edge doesn't really add anything new.

Reactions: Cape Dave

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Can you imagine Apple dropping the ball in any one small area for a particular iPhone? If the puzzle pieces don't fall into place just right. If there is a component that isn't able to be manufactured at scale? Or an faulty part that either requires a full recall (a la note7) or occurs so late that the entire phone needs to be delayed 4-6 months? There are so many parts it's just crazy.

I remember watching a documentary (if you can call it that) about the production of the newest Ford Mustang, and how something as tiny as a 1mm bolt could completely hault the entire factory's production if they didn't have it stocked. Keeping track of making sure all of the thousands of parts and needed things must be incredibly complex. And their production numbers are no where near Apple's level of scale. Insane.

It was called Faster Horse I believe for those interested.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yes, they have been using Samsung displays. But it isn't the company that makes it burn in, it's the technology of OLED.

All screens have burn in when used in ways that will increase the chances. That would include LCD displays as well. In Samsung phones, I only seen it on display models that are on 24/7. The other area for a chance of burn in, is the notification bar. This is why, I like going in full immersion mode. No notification bar. I like how all of Samsung's stock apps do this.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Meanwhile other sites are reporting it as 7s, not 8...

And this means what exactly? Every site basically rehashes the same news, just worded differently. Rumors hold no value. It's merely a prediction for the sake of discussion or contradiction to what to expect in the future.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
He's saying that because burn-in is an OLED issue, not an LCD issue, & this will be the 1st OLED screen on an iPhone; to be clear- it wasn't a claim that Samsung has never manufactured screens for Apple before.

Yes, they have been using Samsung displays. But it isn't the company that makes it burn in, it's the technology of OLED.

Interesting. Thanks for explaining. Apparently I'm out of the loop with this news (I've never had a Samsung smartphone). I'd like to read more about it.

Is this a legitimate and well-documented issue or one of those "forum issues" where folks who have seen temporary ghosting or burn-in on display models that are on max brightness and static images 24/7?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
All screens have burn in when used in ways that will increase the chances. That would include LCD displays as well. In Samsung phones, I only seen it on display models that are on 24/7. The other area for a chance of burn in, is the notification bar. This is why, I like going in full immersion mode. No notification bar. I like how all of Samsung's stock apps do this.

BURNGATE and you are keeping it on wrong!

snicklesnackle

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2017
Why don't Apple manufacture screens but Samsung do? They spend billions on a new campus but can't make their own hardware?

Reactions: timme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.